Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port issue (physically loose)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I discovered yesterday that the actual socket in the charge port on our new roadster is physically coming loose - it flexes into the car when you connect the charge cable.

I seem to recall seeing a post about this issue before but can't find now.

Has this happened to anyone before? What is the typical fix? (Anything I can do myself or does it need to go to the SC?)

I discovered yesterday that the actual socket in the charge port on our new roadster is physically coming loose - it flexes into the car when you connect the charge cable.

I seem to recall seeing a post about this issue before but can't find now.

Has this happened to anyone before? What is the typical fix? (Anything I can do myself or does it need to go to the SC?)

the Charge Port needs to be Rebonded. for this typical concern we would sublet it a body shop since they use a strong body epoxy

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
I used 3M panel bond: 3M 08115 Panel Adhesive & 3M 08571 Manual Applicator Gun w/ABN Sticker [Misc.] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSF9TCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_z4-lEbFPQA9AC

I did the repair about a year ago and it's holding up perfectly.

I first waited until the plug had come completely lose. Then pushed it in and I took a rag and cotton swabs with alcohol and cleaned the mating surface between body and plug.

I then applied the panel bond from the outside into the gap between body and plug. Then I plugged in my can adapter and used that to pull the plug out and I inserted a piece of wood behind the plug (through the open trunk) to keep pressure on the bond for a few hours. Let it set over night.

Panel bond is not cheap, but it's a fantastic product.

Reactions: erericic
Going in from behind the panel isn't terribly hard. Just need to remove the rear deck (body panel between trunk and rear glass). Open trunk, remove four bolts from rear deck, remove one bolt holding coolant reservoir in place and push to the side. Grab the rear deck and pull straight toward the back of the car. It's held in by clips under the rear window and will pop out. Once out of the way, the charge port is accessible.