Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Replacement - Misaligned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 LR RWD Model 3. My charge port has been failing to open for the past few months. Mobile replaced the whole charge port but the replacement looks misaligned when closed and I noticed a gap where you can see the light from the indicator glowing through. I don't know if it is a bad installation or part but it definitely did not look like this before. Of course the first reaction from service was that it's normal :(

Wondering if anyone else has had their charge port replaced and what was the result. Thanks!

155507759_10111943117753132_7377541847541486495_o.jpg

I didn't have my charge port replaced, but mine seems to be a little off on the alignment from the factory. I've had my Model 3 for about a month. I didn't actually notice it until after seeing this post and plugging in my car tonight, but yah, I can see the light through the gap on mine too. Pretty much the same as your picture. I might bring it up to the SC during my next appointment and see what they say.

I didn't have my charge port replaced, but mine seems to be a little off on the alignment from the factory. I've had my Model 3 for about a month. I didn't actually notice it until after seeing this post and plugging in my car tonight, but yah, I can see the light through the gap on mine too. Pretty much the same as your picture. I might bring it up to the SC during my next appointment and see what they say.
It turned out the mobile service tech who replaced my charge port was so rough with it that he bent some of the metal that the port attaches to, creating that gap. Another mobile tech tried to fix it and actually made it much worse, visibly bending the exterior. The quarter panel now needs body work and repaint. What should have been a 15 minute job turned into a nightmare :(

Exactly the same issue happened with my Model Y 1 month ago. The manual "touch" opening was failing, so they came to replace the charging port. The new one is slightly missaligned and the light leaks a bit just like in your picture. Did you just decide to live with it? Or did you fix it?