Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port stopped opening on wall connector button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

my M3P is 1 year old now and I've always 100% been able to open the charge door with the button on the cable. It also always worked to unlock the cable.

Now I noticed since 2-3 days that even when I just parked (drivers door even still open, car definitely not sleeping!) and the charge door does not open via the button on the plug. It does, however, open when I...:
  • push the door
  • click in the app
  • click on the screen
And it also still does unlock via the button on the handle so..... whose fault is it? :D The RFID on the handle is obviously still working? And so is the charge door itself?

Cheers
Patrick

What do you mean "it unlocks via the button"? You're saying that the charge door doesn't open with that button...
I meant: while it is plugged in and charging, I can use the button on the handle to stop the charging process and unlock the connector.
Yet, 2 sec. later I cannot open the port up again via the button.
Interestingly even when the car is plugged and sleeping, pushing the button on the charge handle wakes the car up, so I assume the button on the handle is working well... and so is the antenna in the car?

I now also tried without any luck:
  • Software update (problem occurred without an update and was not fixed by an update)
  • Rebooting the car (via holding two steering wheel buttons... any other method available?)
  • Turning wall connector off (via fuses) and on again
  • Setting charge limit to higher than the current state of charge was (e.g.: SoC 90%, limit 100%! Someone said this would trigger it although before this was never needed and now it didn't work either)
  • Opening trunk (read that this helped someone else) and pointing/holding the charge handle anywhere around the car (whereas before it even worked from quite a distance)

I had this issue and mobile tech, replaced my door.
So it was a hardware fault in your case?

I meant: while it is plugged in and charging, I can use the button on the handle to stop the charging process and unlock the connector.
Yet, 2 sec. later I cannot open the port up again via the button.
Interestingly even when the car is plugged and sleeping, pushing the button on the charge handle wakes the car up, so I assume the button on the handle is working well... and so is the antenna in the car?

I now also tried without any luck:
  • Software update (problem occurred without an update and was not fixed by an update)
  • Rebooting the car (via holding two steering wheel buttons... any other method available?)
  • Turning wall connector off (via fuses) and on again
  • Setting charge limit to higher than the current state of charge was (e.g.: SoC 90%, limit 100%! Someone said this would trigger it although before this was never needed and now it didn't work either)
  • Opening trunk (read that this helped someone else) and pointing/holding the charge handle anywhere around the car (whereas before it even worked from quite a distance)

So it was a hardware fault in your case?
Yes

It could be the car or the wall connector. You should test with another Tesla handle, you could use a Supercharger, a public Tesla wall connector, or a mobile connector. If the car will open the charge door for one of them, it's the wall connector. If it doesn't work there either, it's the car.

Last edited:
I fixed it.
It is an EVChargeKing Cable with the port opener. This one has a CR2032 battery inside the charge port opener button unit.
The "terminate the charge process" signal apparently works over the two wires this button uses but the "open the charge port" signal works completely over the CR2032 cell which was dead either due to water getting into the unit (it did!) or because I used it extensively for over 1 year.