Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got a Tesla model 3 and I don’t know how often I should charge it and how much I should charge it to. I drive around 50-60 miles a day so I use around 30% of battery everyday.

Start reading. There are probably 5 threads on the first page of this subforum asking the same exact question.

Also, welcome to the site. Plug in the car every night and let it charge to some value that meets your needs between ~70 and 90%. 100% only when needed for trips. Easy peasy.

I recently got a Tesla model 3 and I don’t know how often I should charge it and how much I should charge it to. I drive around 50-60 miles a day so I use around 30% of battery everyday.

Your Owner's Guide wants you to plug in whenever you can even when you don't drive at all. The more plug-ins the better.

Your charging screen would tell you for daily driving: 50 to 90% and for a road trip: above 90 to 100% as needed.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats! As others have said, aim for 80-90% SOC every day. If you are charging at home, start charging (use the starting time option from on the screen) at a time such that it reaches your chosen peak just as you're about to go to work next morning. With 50-60 mile you will eventually need a NEMA 14-50 outlet. With the standard 220v outlet you will be pushing the limits there.

I am a new owner as well. I have read a lot about batteries, and from all accounts Tesla is doing a good job of taking care of the batteries.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats! As others have said, aim for 80-90% SOC every day. If you are charging at home, start charging (use the starting time option from on the screen) at a time such that it reaches your chosen peak just as you're about to go to work next morning. With 50-60 mile you will eventually need a NEMA 14-50 outlet. With the standard 220v outlet you will be pushing the limits there.

I am a new owner as well. I have read a lot about batteries, and from all accounts Tesla is doing a good job of taking care of the batteries.

evM3Sekar, you may want to reset your expectations a little bit. It seems as if you may have done a little too much reading.

There really is no need to set the charging to finish just before you start driving. All that impacts is regen and the car functions just as well if no regen is available. And, that really start to apply to northern climates and cars not parked in garages. The question was asked from someone indicating North Carolina.

While a NEMA 14-50 outlet is an awesome solution, it is far from the only solution. At 60 miles per day, it indeed surpasses the charging from a standard 120V 15A plug (3 miles per hour) but it is not necessarily restricted from the solution. At 15 hours per day, it would provide 315 miles per week, allowing the drive to work, but not on the weekend, by often just switching the plug to a 120V 20A solution, that brings weekly charging to 420 miles. That allows a lot of weekend driving. And that also gets the user to the point where periodic trips to Superchargers or J-1772 plugs can fill any gaps.
By possibly moving some wires and switching the plug and breaker, 240V 15A charging could be available at 11 miles per hour, easily solving the daily commute and leaving a full battery for the weekend.

My point is that so many people have range anxiety and therefore go to essentially the maximum solution to the problem. Yes, I have a 14-50, and I only plug in once or twice a week. My wife plugs in her 2018 Leaf to 120V 15A, maybe twice a week.
The 14-50 is indeed the generic solution, but many people don't have the ability to install one, or it is very expensive to install. And especially for a brand new user, just plug into the 120V plug in the garage, it is useful.

Jeff Dahn, the Lithium Ion battery guru suggests 70% as the ideal SOC? Others have suggested 80%. I split the difference and charge to 70%. Seems just fine for my daily driving.

evM3Sekar said:
With the standard 220v outlet you will be pushing the limits there.
I meant to say "... 120v outlet ..." Having said that, a few times I have used the 120v/12A outlets, I have averaged 5 m/h, and with 240V/20A 18-20 m/h.

evM3Sekar, you may want to reset your expectations a little bit. It seems as if you may have done a little too much reading.
you're quite right @ewoodrick. I have been reading too much!