Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge to 100% break it down for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I need to charge to 100% tomorrow for a long drive. I’ll be leaving about 9am (ish).

Can I just charge to 100% tonight in the Octopus Go window and then go or should I time it more accurately to align with departure time?

2019 model 3P btw.

Thanks!

You will find it takes a lot longer to get to 100% than you think. M3P takes about 1hour per 10% but you will find the last 10% probably takes 2 hours.
It is not really recommended to leave for long periods at >90% if it was me, and not a lease car I would charge to 90% overnight then put it back on an hour before I go. It would probably only get to 97% but close enough.

Edit
Great minds Mr H :)

You will find it takes a lot longer to get to 100% than you think. M3P takes about 1hour per 10% but you will find the last 10% probably takes 2 hours.
It is not really recommended to leave for long periods at >90% if it was me, and not a lease car I would charge to 90% overnight then put it back on an hour before I go. It would probably only get to 97% but close enough.

Edit
Thanks

Edit
I usually charge to 90% during the cheap rate and then set it going again 1 hour or so before i'm leaving, if i need 100%. Not a good idea to leave it sat at 100%.
Thanks this is what I figured.

Just remember next to no regen above ~92% so the final 10% won’t give as much extra range as you may expect if first part of journey on more twisty/stop-start roads.
And no regen braking might catch you out, you'll need to use the brakes.

My understanding is that 40-80% optimum for parked, 100 for short periods is better than 0-20%.

Most of the time, I'd set it to 90% overnight & top-up/warm the car in the morning - but sometimes I've left it at 100% for a few hours for early starts.

I also have no fear of arriving at a destination near zero as long as I know I can charge straight away. I've rarely done this, but it wouldn't worry me. Long term near empty is what should be avoided.

Unless you have LFP (some SR+), which is happy at 0-100%

Edit

I usually set it to about 95% at hotels and such, then wack it up to 100% when I wake up. That way it's got a bit more time to cram those last few angry pixies into the box before we head out. But at the same time those last couple percent really don't make much difference as you mention.

Tricky part is remembering to set it back to 90% afterwards ;)

Jeeez. Just charge it!
I have seen many folks employ that same strategy to gas powered cars. “Just drive it”. Many of those either ran out of oil, or had the oil turn to tar…

I think if you own an electric car, it behooves you to know a little bit about how to care for the battery.
Similar to how most know how to care for a gas powered engine these days.

“Just drive it” is mostly fine for these cars, but can have consequences as well…
Plus Many here, including myself, really enjoy messing with the details of new technology. It’s not a chore, it’s fun.

Reactions: Bogd and LoudMusic
And no regen braking might catch you out, you'll need to use the brakes.

My understanding is that 40-80% optimum for parked, 100 for short periods is better than 0-20%.

Most of the time, I'd set it to 90% overnight & top-up/warm the car in the morning - but sometimes I've left it at 100% for a few hours for early starts.

I also have no fear of arriving at a destination near zero as long as I know I can charge straight away. I've rarely done this, but it wouldn't worry me. Long term near empty is what should be avoided.

Unless you have LFP (some SR+), which is happy at 0-100%
As you have kinda mentioned the other advantage of doing the last 10% before you leave is that it will warm up the battery a bit so you won't be leaving with it stone cold.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Jeeez. Just charge it!
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to come back with that suggestion. 4 hours. I was expecting 4 minutes. And yes you can do that but that is not what the manufacturer recommends and the science behind Li Ion batteries is pretty well established and supports their recommendations. Charging to and holding at a high state of charge degrades the battery significantly faster than not doing so.
When I owned an ICE car I didn't start it up on a cold morning then red line it as I pulled off the drive. and since I own my Tesla I am not gonna unnecessarily abuse that either. But it's a freeish country you do you.

… the science behind Li Ion batteries is pretty well established …
It is. Even iPhones try to intelligently control the last bit of charging so that it is full just as you start using it again in the morning. I suppose the difference is that the modems and background app updates start to drain the battery immediately whereas the car won't until you drive it.

I agree with doing what the manufacturer recommends.

Anecdotally but I just recently sold my 3 year old iPhone, which was charged every night to 100% and often left sat on a wireless charging mat sitting on 100% while I work, and after those 3 years I had 93% battery health.

The answer to how much you baby the battery I guess also depends on whether you've bought the car outright or whether it's leased/PCP with no expectation of future ownership. There is also possibly a danger of overthinking it to the point where your enjoyment or convenience is significantly impacted, "keeping your girlfriend chaste for the next guy" if you want a more sordid analogy. The car also has an 8 year battery warranty so if you really did put a significant dent in it somehow I'd expect you'd have a shout at a replacement?

That said - I haven't charged to 100% yet as I haven't needed to, and only supercharged twice, mainly because I bought my car outright and have a vested interest in minimising battery degradation.

There is also possibly a danger of overthinking it to the point where your enjoyment or convenience is significantly impacted, "keeping your girlfriend chaste for the next guy" if you want a more sordid analogy.
😂

With all the apps at our disposal, it isn't hard or inconvenient to time the full charge for your intended departure time, nor is it difficult/inconvenient to avoid completely depleting the battery. Even if you did leave it sitting full for a while on occasion, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It's what you do habitually that matters I think.

I've gone to 100% a few times, but there have only been a handful of journeys where that was necessary. There are advantages in not doing so including overall journey times sometimes being shorter by charging more often for less time even if that is unintuitive.

Anecdotally but I just recently sold my 3 year old iPhone, which was charged every night to 100% and often left sat on a wireless charging mat sitting on 100% while I work, and after those 3 years I had 93% battery health.

I agree, not all Li Ion batteries are the same and their durability can vary significantly. I've always been impressed with the way Apple devices manage their batteries and normally when I move to a new Apple device the old one is still fine. Change is driven by features and not battery life.

I think that the way Apple and Tesla manage charge/discharge and design their batteries is the main reason they seem to outlast others.

With my M3LR I charge mostly at home, charging to 85% from somewhere between 25 and 50%. This gives me a comfortable range of 250 miles if I go down to 15%, so a sensible reserve of 30 miles or so. I have charged to 95%, but mostly to "see what it is like" The lack of regen is a bit like driving and AIC with an automatic box!!

First post, so obvious newbie alert!

Is it confirmed that 100% charge is actually 100% of the battery pack and not a controlled 100% under firmware/BMS control?

By this i mean, could Tesla control the battery so that the car can only access 10% to 90% of the battery pack? This is then manipulated by software so that it appears as 0% to 100% to the user and removes the ability to deep discharge the battery pack or keep it fully charged. So 100% reported to the user is actually 90% usage of the pack and likewise 0% reported to the user is actually 10% usage of the pack.

It always amazes me that if its bad to keep a battery at 100% charged, then why does the manufacturer allow it to get to 100% and not limit it to a lesser figure. Though the cynic in me sees that if the manufactuer allows you to 'damage' the battery by repeatedly going to 100% then sooner or later it might need replacing (££).

I hope this makes sense & go easy on me!