Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's up with NY? I just saw this article published yesterday indicating MSRP must now be less than 42K. Is their EV incentive program so different than NJ that we should not expect the same here?

"The program incentive levels for consumers will change starting June 30. These changes include updated rebate levels to incentivize EVs with longer all-electric ranges and EVs with a base manufacturer suggested retail price of less than $42,000. There are more than 50 EV models currently available in New York – of those models, 15 have a range of more than 200 miles and are eligible for the rebate."

NJ and NY program never were equivalent, so this is meaningless to us.

If currently delivery timeline leads to a Julyish delivery is there any reason for having the "reservation" on hold from now until then? Will it help with potential eligibility for the program? Sorry if I am missing something

If currently delivery timeline leads to a Julyish delivery is there any reason for having the "reservation" on hold from now until then? Will it help with potential eligibility for the program? Sorry if I am missing something
We're all just guessing on what the actual requirements will be based on interpretation of the program rules, FAQs and what various people at Tesla and other auto manufacturers are saying. Couple that with how friendly or difficult Tesla will be with pre-July orders for July 1 or later delivery and its a crap shoot. I'm hopeful they don't want to deal with a potential NJ logistics nightmare where tons of people cancel and reorder on July 1, but I guess we'll see.

We're all just guessing on what the actual requirements will be based on interpretation of the program rules, FAQs and what various people at Tesla and other auto manufacturers are saying. Couple that with how friendly or difficult Tesla will be with pre-July orders for July 1 or later delivery and its a crap shoot. I'm hopeful they don't want to deal with a potential NJ logistics nightmare where tons of people cancel and reorder on July 1, but I guess we'll see.
Could happen. My SA told me that if my car was sitting there on 7/1, and they couldn't use that order from 4/14, than I could order a new one on 7/1, and they could manually move the car from my original reservation to the new one. While it would suck as the price went up, he didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

Would the NJ state incentive stack with the looming green bill?

Is there a shot we can score $5K + $7.5K if everything lines up?

My lease is up end of July and looking at the Y now that the X is bumped to 2022.

Would the NJ state incentive be able to stack with the looming green bill?

Is there a shot we can score $5K + $7.5K if everything lines up?

My lease is up end of July and looking at the Y now that the X is bumped to 2022.

As of right now and how the bill is implemented Tesla have too many sales to be eligible for the 7.5k. I doubt they would stack.
If the infrastructure bill were to pass, it is slated to lift the sales cap on Tesla and GM, so if it passed by year end, It should stack.

Fed incentive have nothing to do with state, IE if you buy an ID4/MachE and get the 5k NJ rebate, you still get the 7k fed when filing 2021 taxes.

I won't hold my breath that it passes, however if it does by year end, any car bought in 2021 should qualify.

If the infrastructure bill were to pass, it is slated to lift the sales cap on Tesla and GM, so if it passed by year end, It should stack.

Fed incentive have nothing to do with state, IE if you buy an ID4/MachE and get the 5k NJ rebate, you still get the 7k fed when filing 2021 taxes.

I won't hold my breath that it passes, however if it does by year end, any car bought in 2021 should qualify.
I am more hopeful for this one than the state rebate considering my forecast delivery date.

My order daye has been jumping around like crazy byt recently got pushed up from june 10-30 to now May 31-June 20. I need to take delivry July 1 for the rebate - do u suggest I have my SA hold my account now until June and then open it back up for try and push for a later delivery?

I don't think your SA can do much about it at this point. Cost nothing to ask though. But IMO, I strongly believe anyone who gets an actual delivery date before July 1st and Tesla won't accommodate July 1st fake pushed delivery dates to grant the rebate have to choose between no rebate or September delivery.

Reactions: smartparts
What happened to cars in inventory? In March before q1 end, if I looked at available cars there were 10-20 3s I could get quick delivery on. Since 4/1 there have been none. Seems odd that they almost always had some to none for 6 weeks now.

So I emailed ChargeUp and got this response based on my question.

Posting both question and answer for transparency.

QUESTION

I just have a quick question that I bet has been asked a lot and that is preordering an EV for production prior to phase 2 beginning.

Will the point of sale reduction be a part of cost if the car is preordered this month but delivered after phase 2 begins?

It states in the FAQ - delivery date / leasing but nothing about preorders and preorder deposits.

Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ANSWER

Thank you for your email and interest in Charge Up New Jersey. The Point-of-Sale Program, which will provide an incentive at the time of purchase, is expected to launch at eligible dealerships and showrooms with renewed funding at the start of the State's next Fiscal Year in summer 2021 pending Board approval of this timing and approval of the FY2022 Budget.

The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Orders before July 1st will not be considered as eligible. Please note that program details such as incentive amounts, eligible vehicles and MSRP cap are still subject to change and have not been finalized yet.

Please continue to check our website for further updates.

All this and more information can be found here:
Board of Public Utilities | Newsroom<br />& Public Notices
Home | Charge Up New Jersey

Thank you for investing in clean vehicle technology!

Looks like we'll have to reorder them 7/1/21. Bad news fellas.

The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Orders before July 1st will not be considered as eligible. Please note that program details such as incentive amounts, eligible vehicles and MSRP cap are still subject to change and have not been finalized yet.
That's why my SA said if push comes to shove they can cancel my order, I pay the $100 again (and any price increases since my order) and they make the order date 7/1 and assign my car thats sitting in the lot to fill that order. He said it sounds complicated but it's not. I hope it doesn't come to that, but at this point I'll do whatever, this process causes me so much anxiety.

So I emailed ChargeUp and got this response based on my question.

Posting both question and answer for transparency.

QUESTION

I just have a quick question that I bet has been asked a lot and that is preordering an EV for production prior to phase 2 beginning.

Will the point of sale reduction be a part of cost if the car is preordered this month but delivered after phase 2 begins?

It states in the FAQ - delivery date / leasing but nothing about preorders and preorder deposits.

Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ANSWER

Thank you for your email and interest in Charge Up New Jersey. The Point-of-Sale Program, which will provide an incentive at the time of purchase, is expected to launch at eligible dealerships and showrooms with renewed funding at the start of the State's next Fiscal Year in summer 2021 pending Board approval of this timing and approval of the FY2022 Budget.

Please continue to check our website for further updates.

All this and more information can be found here:
Board of Public Utilities | Newsroom<br />& Public Notices
Home | Charge Up New Jersey

Thank you for investing in clean vehicle technology!

Looks like we'll have to reorder them 7/1/21. Bad news fellas.
this is what they have said the whole time, and not what is being said at all to dealers. Don't listen to this. I am not saying with certainty that this is false, but this is the same canned BS answer they have been giving since December 16th. Its not bad news until tesla tells you there is no choice. Won't know that until they have complete guidance.

They are basically 6 weeks away from 7/1 and to act like they don't know what they are going to do, is laughable. They know. If you ordered a MachE or ID4, and took delivery on 7/1, it would totally count because "order" for a traditional dealership is just them ordering the car. Seems stupid that Tesla would be treated differently just because their model isnt the same.