Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is what they have said the whole time, and not what is being said at all to dealers. Don't listen to this. I am not saying with certainty that this is false, but this is the same canned BS answer they have been giving since December 16th. Its not bad news until tesla tells you there is no choice. Won't know that until they have complete guidance.

They are basically 6 weeks away from 7/1 and to act like they don't know what they are going to do, is laughable. They know. If you ordered a MachE or ID4, and took delivery on 7/1, it would totally count because "order" for a traditional dealership is just them ordering the car. Seems stupid that Tesla would be treated differently just because their model isnt the same.
I 100% agree. Although this is the first mention of: "Please note that program details such as incentive amounts, eligible vehicles and MSRP cap are still subject to change and have not been finalized yet." that I am aware of. Everything else is 100% aligned with everything we discussed in this thread already and doesn't challenge any of the leading hypothesis we are working with.

Reactions: AmunRa51
"The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Orders before July 1st will not be considered as eligible."

I think this current email statement is stronger wording than we have heard previously and makes if very clear that cars ordered prior to July 1st will not be eligible, at least not in the mind of the author of the statement. The only hope we have is that there have been conflicting statements, for example, the one claiming registration date will be used as date of sale. If the above statement is true there will be no rebates for any of us who purchased before July 1st.

"The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Orders before July 1st will not be considered as eligible."

I think this current email statement is stronger wording than we have heard previously and makes if very clear that cars ordered prior to July 1st will not be eligible, at least not in the mind of the author of the statement. The only hope we have is that there have been conflicting statements, for example, the one claiming registration date will be used as date of sale. If the above statement is true there will be no rebates for any of us who purchased before July 1st.
the website talks out its rear. Hopefully tesla has the control at POS to give it to us and sort it out on the backend.

Reactions: sroy

This is 100% aligned with the website and everything we've been saying for a while. There is no new information. And it is obviously a copy/paste from a canned answer. Not saying it's misleading/false. But the dealerships WILL have maneuvering room, especially Tesla.

Imagine you have a max quota of, say rebate 1000 EVs you can sell. Does it matter if the rebate is applied to car "-1" from start date to no 999 vs +1 from start to 1001? No. There is a guy, somewhere in dec or an or march who will be told "sorry dude, we're out of rebates, the guy before you got his and he was the last one". Given Tesla's model of delivering at end of quarter, if they can navigate it internally, they might/could/will. Another way to put it is if there is a legal "accounting magic" that grant flexibility to the dealership, the rule becomes meaningless. Non Telsa might have less flexibility because their sales volumes are too low.

And we still can do the cancel/reorder at 100$ + price diff in the worst case.

Again, if you 100% need the rebate, do not order before July 1st, expect sept delivery.

Re: "Hopefully tesla has the control at POS to give it to us and sort it out on the backend."

That would be good, but I am bracing myself for the possibility that in July I will need to pay 1600 more to place a new order for the same car and wait until September to get it. I am ok with that as I am not in a hurry and the car keeps getting better anyway, but I would like to be driving it sooner if possible.

Re: "Hopefully tesla has the control at POS to give it to us and sort it out on the backend."

That would be good, but I am bracing myself for the possibility that in July I will need to pay 1600 more to place a new order for the same car and wait until September to get it. I am ok with that as I am not in a hurry and the car keeps getting better anyway, but I would like to be driving it sooner if possible.
Yes.

The good news is... its a POS program... so no matter what we will know 100% if we are eligible or not. I placed my order after the announcement that Q2 is sold out in hopes of getting a post July1st delivery date.... My delivery date estimate is now May30-June 15.... not sure if that announcement was a sales tactic to create more hype.

What if we bought in July and funds are exhausted by the time we get the delivery?
It should depend on invoice creation.. anyone has any info on invoice details?
It clearly is a first come first serve program. So the only thing you need to know (which you can't) is % of cars in the program are Tesla and what is your delivery date order relative to the first eligible car. I don't think the other brands will exhaust the funds. 90% EV sales in NJ are Tesla. Unless the hybrids get it all but that's unlikely IMO.

Hey! I actually gave them a call and the (very nice) rep told me that I'd need to place my order after July. She also mentioned they expected to update the site with new details sometime in June.
Which makes zero sense because the order is only a place holder and you don't buy the car until you actually sign papers and take delivery. That is why it shouldn't matter one bit what your order date is with Tesla, as once your car shows up, the order is basically over, and you move to delivery items.

Again, the program people say what they are told to say, and the scary part (NJ is stupid so why is this surprising) is that July 1 is 6 weeks away and nobody has an answer.

Like i said a few pages back, NJ dealers are being told A, us B, and the department knows nothing.

Fun times ahead for sure.

If you ordered a car and have to make a new order after 7/1 it sucks, but if your car is at the store, you won't have to wait till September.

Yes intent of program is to purchase and drive EV, order date was just added to help people who ordered and were waiting for delivery last December. But if amount is decreased even by 5k none of the Ys are eligible. I just hope they give us clear info before June 1

Yes intent of program is to purchase and drive EV, order date was just added to help people who ordered and were waiting for delivery last December. But if amount is decreased even by 5k none of the Ys are eligible. I just hope they give us clear info before June 1
As of this date I think it is unlikely they will change any of that. As I have argued extensively in this thread already, the program "appear" to be designed around the model 3 LR, and going below 50K for eligibility would remove the "sweet spot" vehicle from the program which wouldn't make any sense.

If you look at the budget allocated, there is enough volume for 6000 "5K" rebates per year if 100% "long range" EVs, which is (to date) much beyond the current number of sales figures of EVs in the state. If you want to maximize the number of EVs on the roads, decreasing the amount would not work. They spent the 2020 budget in 11 months which is not far off a full year and that sorta included both 2019 and 2020 (started Jan 17th ended Dec 15th).

I'll admit that might be too logical for public policies but it would just not make sense to play with the numbers. Except maybe decreasing to 4.5K to get more people in (flush with to full budget year rather than a month short) OR disqualify the hybrids instead to reallocate more $$ to EVs.

90% of the EVs are Tesla. The other brands are not selling high enough volume to deplete the funds.

I 100% agree. Although this is the first mention of: "Please note that program details such as incentive amounts, eligible vehicles and MSRP cap are still subject to change and have not been finalized yet." that I am aware of. Everything else is 100% aligned with everything we discussed in this thread already and doesn't challenge any of the leading hypothesis we are working with.
IMO, most likely Tesla is acting cunningly here. They will have us cancel/reorder( at $2000+$100) on july 1 - giving us the same ordered car and to make extra money.

IMO, most likely Tesla is acting cunningly here. They will have us cancel/reorder( at $2000+$100) on july 1 - giving us the same ordered car and to make extra money.
As far as we know they are not acting at all as they are as in the dark as we are. Although it might start to change. Dealerships are small businesses (mostly - smallish than Tesla for sure). I would be hard pressed to guess who at Tesla is "in-charge" but I am guessing some regional manager and until that guys knows the whole thing, it's impossible all SAs does too. The cancel and reorder is pure speculation on our (customers and SAs) part.