Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all speculation on my part.

My understanding of the program is that the ideal car for the program is the LR M3. If you want it red white interior and 19" wheels, the 55K limit is near. so I wouldn't expect that to change either. however, I am less sure how "ideal" the MY is toward the program and if you want the fully equipped MY LR (with hitch etc) you are above the threshold already.

a Y with a 1k color, wheels, and tow package is like 54,500, so it is just under.

There is no vote for the budget or anything else that will hold this up. It is all approved and funded, just need the 7/1 fiscal year change to 2022. Lots of people are hung up on changes or funding, but all that is already set.

I hope you are right, but how do you know?
I read the information. The only reason there isn't money right now is because they blew through the budget way early in December, otherwise nobody would be worrying about the 7/1 date. The plan has a budget for 10 years of this program, but if people buy like crazy and early on then it runs out of funds mid year. Could something change? Sure. Will it with less than 60 days before the new year begins and the program funds again? Doubt it. They want these funds to be used, otherwise it is a failed initiative. Really the only think nobody knows is how the point of sale will work. They better move it on that.

I read the information. The only reason there isn't money right now is because they blew through the budget way early in December, otherwise nobody would be worrying about the 7/1 date. The plan has a budget for 10 years of this program, but if people buy like crazy and early on then it runs out of funds mid year. Could something change? Sure. Will it with less than 60 days before the new year begins and the program funds again? Doubt it. They want these funds to be used, otherwise it is a failed initiative. Really the only think nobody knows is how the point of sale will work. They better move it on that.
Exactly. Also The commercial program decided to double the spending (making it a 5 years program instead of 10). I can imagine they would do the same for the personal program as well.

If there is any announcement coming to officially kickoff phase 2, judging on the current announcements for the other emission gas programs it will either be June 21st or June 28th. They seem to start each week with a bunch of announcements.

I just called my buddy, a GM of a NJ VW Dealer. He said they are basically being told they just take 5k off the ID4 at purchase, and they will get it back from the state via some dealer form portal. Tesla would be the same so 7/1 we should be fine, and if this is accurate, our pre 7/1 reservations should be ok if we take delivery and sign the papers 7/1 or later.

EDIT:

He called me back and pulled info off the dealer portal that said orders can start 6/1 for the rebate. I want to call some others and ask. He said he is being told that he takes 5k off the car at sale, and puts the sale into the portal before papers are signed. That holds the rebate for that sale. Once sale is final, he clicks off that it was delivered and the state pays him.

If all this is true, that sounds good to me.

Last edited:
I just called my buddy, a GM of a NJ VW Dealer. He said they are basically being told they just take 5k off the ID4 at purchase, and they will get it back from the state via some dealer form portal. Tesla would be the same so 7/1 we should be fine, and if this is accurate, our pre 7/1 reservations should be ok if we take delivery and sign the papers 7/1 or later.

EDIT:

He called me back and pulled info off the dealer portal that said orders can start 6/1 for the rebate. I want to call some others and ask. He said he is being told that he takes 5k off the car at sale, and puts the sale into the portal before papers are signed. That holds the rebate for that sale. Once sale is final, he clicks off that it was delivered and the state pays him.

If all this is true, that sounds good to me.
Sounds about right. That is by far the best way to get accurate info on the program (I mean reaching out to a dealer that is currently working on setting up the program at their dealership). That's good news. It suggests that Tesla could do for NJ what they did in other places: ready the cars and send them off for July 1st.

I mean logistically it may be easier on them to just go "ignore the NJ trucks for now and take care of everybody else. As long as we deliver NJ in early July none of them will be mad at getting their rebate rather and a "late delivery""

I just got the following reply from the NJ charge up program:

“Your vehicle order would not qualify for the rebate. The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. No other details have been confirmed. Please continue to check our website for further updates.”

Unfortunately my current config is now over $55k so no point in reordering.

So now its just the problem of what if they give us a delivery date in June? Do we pass, ask them to hold?
Based on my brother's experience, either Tesla will decide to give us the rebate by purposefully pushing the date to the first week of July or it's something else.

In the something else category, I think the main factor will the SC and the SA/delivery guy in terms of what they are told to do vs what they can actually do. If they have flexibility I am guessing they might ask "would you rather have it now or get the rebate" to manage the delivery logistics. If they don't have flexibility you can refuse to get delivery now to get delivered later. That comes with 2 risks. 1) that you still won't qualify as a result of having ordered before July 1st and Tesla internally decides to apply the program that way and 2) you might only get your car end of Q3 instead.

I mean it all boils down to "do I 100% absolutely need the rebate and/or what is the opportunity cost of waiting/playing the reordering game vs the benefits" once you personally make up your mind about that, all other decisions are pretty straightforward to make. In my case, if Tesla voluntarily push delivery dates beyond July 1st so we get the rebate, obviously I take it. If they offer me the choice to take delivery after July 1st or right away, I'll wait unless that means going back in line. Any other options leads to me taking delivery early. I budgeted without so of course I would take the free money but not if that means not getting the car from the Q2 batch.

Last edited:
Reactions: smartparts
I just got the following reply from the NJ charge up program:

“Your vehicle order would not qualify for the rebate. The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. No other details have been confirmed. Please continue to check our website for further updates.”

Unfortunately my current config is now over $55k so no point in reordering.
That is not what I heard so far, in March I got this response from them:

"Vehicles purchased or leased on or after July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. The dealership needs to be participating to offer the incentive at the time of purchase. We do not have all the details or eligibility requirements for the point-of-sale program yet but will be updating our website accordingly. "

It says nothing about order date.

Not a reliable source, but I called Tesla SA at that time and he clarified that it is the purchase date that matters. I have not seen anyone's final invoice so far and so dont know if it mentions "order/booking date" anywhere.

"Vehicles purchased or leased on or after July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. The dealership needs to be participating to offer the incentive at the time of purchase. We do not have all the details or eligibility requirements for the point-of-sale program yet but will be updating our website accordingly. "

Not a reliable source, but I called Tesla SA at that time and he clarified that it is the purchase date that matters. I have not seen anyone's final invoice so far and so dont know if it mentions "order/booking date" anywhere.
I think it would be worth following up with them if you have already placed in order (and letting us know what they say!)
Now I have gotten a firm "no" from my SA and the state in terms of orders prior to July 1st getting the discount if deliver is after July 1. Unless something changes I will likely take delivery in June and be done with it. We drive A LOT and we have free charging for the time being so the way I see it taking delivery now instead of Q3 will save us around $1200 over continuing on with our ICE vehicle anyway.

That same faq also has another item about order date. 3rd from the bottom.

That same faq also has another item about order date. 3rd from the bottom.
IMO when the program goes towards end, people will cling to order date to get benefits .
And i think that may have a reason for the FAQ response
"For Tesla and similar manufacturers, the "Order Date" of the vehicle must be on or before December 15, 2020. A Vehicle Configuration and a Purchase/Lease Agreement will be required to confirm eligibility. Applicants must receive their vehicle before applying. The last date to submit an application is March 15, 2021. "

I think that the SA don't have right/complete knowledge on the issue anyway,so when I have waited for 2 painful months, ill wait till July 1st anyway

Once the Tesla people know how they put the rebate requests in and get them approved all this order date crap goes in the trash. They will have the ability to take it off the top and get it back directly through the portal. I’m not going to worry about it. I’m getting the car and the rebate one way or another.

What's up with NY? I just saw this article published yesterday indicating MSRP must now be less than 42K. Is their EV incentive program so different than NJ that we should not expect the same here?

"The program incentive levels for consumers will change starting June 30. These changes include updated rebate levels to incentivize EVs with longer all-electric ranges and EVs with a base manufacturer suggested retail price of less than $42,000. There are more than 50 EV models currently available in New York – of those models, 15 have a range of more than 200 miles and are eligible for the rebate."