Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is it up to now? At this point even if I can get the 2k rebate its not worth it bcs the reorder Id have to pay the $100 again and all the price increases since I ordered in April.. it will just eat away at the rebate. I’m currently saving up 2k in cash to offset the rebate I won’t get, lol
It’s up 1500 since i placed my order on apr 15th and it went up 500 before that.

I think our best approach will be to ask them not to focus on the price and instead lower the $ to mile payout. instead of giving $25 per electric mile, reduce that to $15 per mile. the whole point of this program is to reduce emissions... this will incentivize most people to buy a car that provides the most range.

If thats the case, I can skip it. Yea, that.
The Q&A can be useful. About 95% of the questions were “my dates are shifting on the website and <personal random reason for wanting preferred treatment setting delivery date> what is going on?” But I did have one question I thought of that got answered (do you have spare cards at SC I can buy at delivery. A: yes but to be sure you should order them online right now to have them with you on delivery day)

I think our best approach will be to ask them not to focus on the price and instead lower the $ to mile payout. instead of giving $25 per electric mile, reduce that to $15 per mile. the whole point of this program is to reduce emissions... this will incentivize most people to buy a car that provides the most range.
Can totally understand why you would personally desire that if you want to buy a car with long range.

But how does incentivizing people to buy longer range EV's reduce emissions? Should not the goal simply be to maximize the number of EV buyers who without the program would have bought ICE?

Let's be honest with ourselves. How many people buying $50,000+ EV's are really going to abandon the transaction if the state incentive is $2000 rather than $5000? Sure some will, but I'll bet plenty here who claim they would abandon would in the end still buy even if the incentive was zero. You don't think the state folks making these decisions realize that?

There are not unlimited funds available for the program. How many recent ICE buyers did not convert to EV because the incentive was unavailable? I would suggest the same incentive dollars are more likely to sway someone who is buying a low trim level Leaf or Kona versus a different $45K+ EV.

Sure, I also don't like the fact the incentive reduction is likely to come right out of my pocket. But it's not tough to understand why the state is considering what they are.

And keep in mind NJ already provides and EV incentive in the form of no sales tax. On a $50k car that is $3,300. For me, the NJ rebate has no bearing on my decision to purchase an EV - other than the timing of the purchase, but I am tired of trying to get that to work.

Sadly I have to agree. I was originally drawn to buying a MY to save on gas and bcs of the no sales tax. Knowing the rebate might start again on July 1 was an incentive for me to order early and try to time it right. If it was 5k I “may” consider pushing the order and getting back in line, but with the continuous price increases, and now the 45k cap making the rebate only 2k there is no reason to wait. If you’re already buying a 52k car, the 2k really isn’t a factor anymore. I think this is exactly what they want to happen though, they know Teslas will still sell, so no need to incentivize them. And to agree with another previous commenter regarding government - once they put something like this out, they more than likely already have their minds made up and this act of hearing from the public is just going through the motions.
Let's be honest with ourselves. How many people buying $50,000+ EV's are really going to abandon the transaction if the state incentive is $2000 rather than $5000? Sure some will, but I'll bet plenty here who claim they would abandon would in the end still buy even if the incentive was zero. You don't think the state folks making these decisions realize that?

Reactions: Shark2222
Sadly I have to agree. I was originally drawn to buying a MY to save on gas and bcs of the no sales tax. Knowing the rebate might start again on July 1 was an incentive for me to order early and try to time it right. If it was 5k I “may” consider pushing the order and getting back in line, but with the continuous price increases, and now the 45k cap making the rebate only 2k there is no reason to wait. If you’re already buying a 52k car, the 2k really isn’t a factor anymore. I think this is exactly what they want to happen though, they know Teslas will still sell, so no need to incentivize them. And to agree with another previous commenter regarding government - once they put something like this out, they more than likely already have their minds made up and this act of hearing from the public is just going through the motions.
I disagree, unless people no longer care about money and their finances. To me, cars like the Leaf, Niro and other short range vehicles are not compelling enough to convert ICE drivers, which is the goal. We’re still likely buying our Y, but my parents wouldn’t have bought their 3 if the past incentive wasn’t available, and they certainly were a hard sell to switch from Toyota/Lexus to an EV.

Also a 50k EV compares to a “front loaded” 35k ICE where cost of ownership over 5 years os about the same to reduced cost of ownership of EV. So comparing a MY or M3 LR to a BMW is an unfair comparison. I mean one of the issue with the proposed change is that you could see fewer Tesla being sold rather than more EV overall which on paper looks like it’s the right thing when it’s not. Although I don’t disagree that someone like me buying a 50k car don’t need the incentives to afford the car.