Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Niro EV is a short range vehicle? That would mean the M3SR+ is also a short range vehicle. Never heard that one before.

Saying the Niro is short range is analogous to comparing the M3LR to the M3 Performance and saying the LR is underpowered.

You have 3 choices. Which is an argument I laid up a few posts earlier. Small car long range, large car short range or the model 3.

People who buy short range EV buys them as the “second” car and drive long ranges with their ICE “first car” which means that the EV gets less usage so fails to reduce emissions as much as a longer range vehicle.
Without exception everyone I know who have purchased Kona or Niro EV's or recent Leafs are using them as everyday drivers and don't have a second vehicle, or if they still have an ICE vehicle, the ICE vehicle has become their second car.

And if a 250 mile range is not practical for a potential EV buyer, they will need to spend far more if they still want an EV, and for very few will an extra $2000 or $5000 incentive change their decision, despite what they might say on this forum.

I'm an over $45K buyer, so I don't like the direction the state is taking, but I must admit that state will get a bigger bang for it's $ targeting the incentives at less expensive EV's.

Of course Tesla buyers will like this as much as the expired $7500 Federal credit. Not difficult to understand why.

Without exception everyone I know who have purchased Kona or Niro EV's or recent Leafs are using them as everyday drivers and don't have a second vehicle, or if they still have an ICE vehicle, the ICE vehicle has become their second car.

And if a 250 mile range is not practical for a potential EV buyer, they will need to spend far more if they still want an EV, and for very few will an extra $2000 or $5000 incentive change their decision, despite what they might say on this forum.

I'm an over $45K buyer, so I don't like the direction the state is taking, but I must admit that state will get a bigger bang for it's $ targeting the incentives at less expensive EV's.

Of course Tesla buyers will like this as much as the expired $7500 Federal credit. Not difficult to understand why.
This is literally the argument in favor of status quo of the program: the alternatives from the LR tesla models are neither cheap enough nor long range enough to make a difference in sales figures as a result of the 45k - 2k cap because there is a lack of sub 40k decent EV offering and the 40 - 45k range feature wise is not good enough if you consider the low range pricing of 250+ mi options. Hence changing the program will not have an impact on sales. I do not believe that the 45k 2k cap will result in more hyundai or kia sales. But it could get the M3 and MY to sell less in NJ yielding a net negative compared to current implementation.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I do not believe that the 45k 2k cap will result in more hyundai or kia sales.
As someone else said you are not considering that NJ does not have unlimited funds for this program. As a number of us have stated, giving incentives for $45K+ will do little to change buying behavior, whereas the full $5K is far more significant to those considering lower priced EV's.

The Niro EV is a short range vehicle? That would mean the M3SR+ is also a short range vehicle. Never heard that one before.

Saying the Niro is short range is analogous to comparing the M3LR to the M3 Performance and saying the LR is underpowered.
To me, yes - short range is anything under 300miles of range which impacts distance travel. My opinion is the cost for adoption is not yet compelling enough to force ICE drivers to switch, even with the $5k rebate - particularly when the Niro and Leaf cost $15k more than their ICE counterparts. Again - if these cars had more power, range and tech at the $38-40k price point then fine, but they don’t. Let’s also not forget charging infrastructure for non-Tesla’s is a whole different ballgame.

Reactions: rjpjnk
We took a test drive at Princeton and SA was certain that it will be effective 7/1, it will be date of order (not date of delivery) and also indicated that it may be less than $5k. He did indicate a lot of people are holding back in anticipation of the credit and Tesla will continue to raise prices due to demand.

As the rest of us….I spend my time configuring the car and rolling the dice on rebate clarity.

We took a test drive at Princeton and SA was certain that it will be effective 7/1, it will be date of order (not date of delivery) and also indicated that it may be less than $5k. He did indicate a lot of people are holding back in anticipation of the credit and Tesla will continue to raise prices due to demand.

As the rest of us….I spend my time configuring the car and rolling the dice on rebate clarity.
The SA have no idea what it will be based on (order date or delivery date) since the program isn't even finalized.

I personally believe delivery date, it just makes more sense. order date isn't the day I actually bought the car...and selfishly it would benefit me since I have the Y on order...

even if it is order date and the stars align and my car is available June 30th... I should be able to pick it up on July 1st with a "new order" (this was confirmed by my SA, he said he would just create a new order and move my VIN to it. only issue is if the car comes June 28th...

worst part is this is ruining my excitement, I already got the wall connector in hand and getting it installed on Saturday... if anyone wants a quick charge let me know lol

As I see from the aggreement we have to pick up the car in a week after delivery or by the end of the current quarter. So picking up July 1 may be impossible if a car becomes available for picking up on June, 30.

I didnt see the end of qtr statement. I did read that they will hold your car for 3 days (not a week) from when you are notified.
1621950676786.png

Don't they generally assign you a VIN first online, and then ask about scheduling delivery?
I mean, they don't just email you one day out of the blue and say "hey you have 3 days to pick up your car" right?

I can't pickup the car unless I have proof of insurance, and I can't get proof of insurance without a VIN. Also, would we be able to rush financing through in 3 days?