Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'm alittle confused on the order date as well. The last document (page 30) seems to indicate that if you ordered prior to the launch, the rebate was ineligible but there was a screen shot (post #639) which seems to show for Tesla vehicles it was the date of registration for the purchase date.

C. Based on stakeholder feedback, the filing clarified that Vehicles ordered in advance of Phase Two, Point-of-Sale Program, launch will not be eligible for an incentive.

D. In response to stakeholder questions, the filing clarifies that a purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. Eligibility is based on this date.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Comment: Several respondents indicated that EV buyers who had purchased between December 15, 2020 and the launch of the new program should be eligible for a post-purchase incentive. Included in those comments were questions regarding what the rules for Year Two would be regarding when a vehicle would be eligible and a desire for the incentive to be based on the delivery date, not the order date. Comments suggested that the program should be based on delivery date. NJCAR suggested that the program eligibility should be based on the entire vehicle transaction, including both the date of order or the purchase, in order to provide an even playing field for all EV makes and models.

Response: The Board announced on December 14, 2020 that the program would be closed on December 15, 2020, and a new program would be launched in FY22 when new funding became available. Those who purchased vehicles on or after December 16, 2020 decided to purchase those vehicles without the ability to apply for an incentive and, as such, are outside of the “incentive-essential” population the program is focusing on. The funding available for the program will be dedicated to paying out any remaining eligible FY21 incentives and then funding new purchases once the new program is launched. As indicated in this compliance filing, the Year Two program eligibility will be based on the entire vehicle transaction, including the vehicle’s order and
delivery date that the vehicle’s order date must occur on or after the new program is launched in order to be eligible for an incentive.

“The FY22 program will be a Point-of-Sale Program. There will be no post-purchase incentive. In this Phase, all paperwork will be completed at the time of sale, and the dealer or showroom will submit the application on behalf of the applicant.”

so Tesla dealers should have more information if they can apply this during delivery.

They really are making this harder than necessary. Oh well, not gonna lie, my enthusiasm for the rebate seriously waned when the rebate went from $5K to $2K for the MY LR. I've already ordered so if Tesla dealers play nice and use the purchase / delivery date on the POS form, great! Otherwise, I'm not going to hold-out hope.

So I'm genuinely confused (hey I live in NJ, that's sounds about right most of the time anyway? LOL!)

I am [hoping] to purchase a Model Y LR for this Fall when my lease is up on my Ford. With all the hoopla going around about the general price increase of the Y I am having a hard time figuring out when I should order mine to maximize spending. I can afford to have 2 vehicles until I give up the Ford, but I'd rather minimize that time as much as possible.

That said, as of today June 25, am I understanding this correctly: if I order a Model Y LR after July 1 I will get which one: $5K or $2K NJ rebate or none at all? And I have to go to a Service Center and place the order? The Model Y I configured is simply Long Range and the Blue exterior paint... comes to $53,990. I really wanted the 20" wheels too but I think the new price would disqualify from rebate. I can always go aftermarket wheels if so.

And finally, above and beyond NJ rebate, I keep reading about this "referral code". I am not sure what that gives you? If you need to tell me to hush up and use the search engine, feel free please LOL.

Thank you everyone.

Yeah, I'm alittle confused on the order date as well. The last document (page 30) seems to indicate that if you ordered prior to the launch, the rebate was ineligible but there was a screen shot (post #639) which seems to show for Tesla vehicles it was the date of registration for the purchase date.

C. Based on stakeholder feedback, the filing clarified that Vehicles ordered in advance of Phase Two, Point-of-Sale Program, launch will not be eligible for an incentive.

D. In response to stakeholder questions, the filing clarifies that a purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. Eligibility is based on this date.
Yes, I think those two statements are conflicting. How would they know the order date? The purchase date should be what's governing eligibility.

So I'm genuinely confused (hey I live in NJ, that's sounds about right most of the time anyway? LOL!)

I am [hoping] to purchase a Model Y LR for this Fall when my lease is up on my Ford. With all the hoopla going around about the general price increase of the Y I am having a hard time figuring out when I should order mine to maximize spending. I can afford to have 2 vehicles until I give up the Ford, but I'd rather minimize that time as much as possible.

That said, as of today June 25, am I understanding this correctly: if I order a Model Y LR after July 1 I will get which one: $5K or $2K NJ rebate or none at all? And I have to go to a Service Center and place the order? The Model Y I configured is simply Long Range and the Blue exterior paint... comes to $53,990. I really wanted the 20" wheels too but I think the new price would disqualify from rebate. I can always go aftermarket wheels if so.

And finally, above and beyond NJ rebate, I keep reading about this "referral code". I am not sure what that gives you? If you need to tell me to hush up and use the search engine, feel free please LOL.

Thank you everyone.
There is still no clarity on start date

referral gives you 1000 free super charging miles and 1000 to one who referred

They really are making this harder than necessary. Oh well, not gonna lie, my enthusiasm for the rebate seriously waned when the rebate went from $5K to $2K for the MY LR. I've already ordered so if Tesla dealers play nice and use the purchase / delivery date on the POS form, great! Otherwise, I'm not going to hold-out hope.
The MY base price is (was) $39,990. The LR is a 10k$ "package" / accessory. The Order states:

E. Clarified the MSRP to include only fees that relate to the value of the vehicle.Destination fees, vehicle car packages and accessories (i.e., first aid kits, floor mats, cargo nets), tax, registration fees, title fees, and documentation fees are not part of the calculation. This is in line with current procedure.

That would be great if the LR option is considered a package; that would get the MY in the $5K rebate territory. Unfortunately, I don't know how NJ 'officially' recognizes the MY LR. My order agreement doesn't break out the LR as a package.

1624649739937.png

The MY base price is (was) $39,990. The LR is a 10k$ "package" / accessory. The Order states:

E. Clarified the MSRP to include only fees that relate to the value of the vehicle.Destination fees, vehicle car packages and accessories (i.e., first aid kits, floor mats, cargo nets), tax, registration fees, title fees, and documentation fees are not part of the calculation. This is in line with current procedure.
I asked this question and nothing is finalized yet supposedly. This might not be true, the LR might be 49,990

It seem fairly obvious the program was modified to disadvantage Tesla owners from claiming the vast majority of the rebates (total $$$) given that 83% of the rebates were Tesla last year.
Right now a base MY barely fits in the 45-55k category. M3 has a bit more breathing room to add options.
I don't think they are just trying to single out Tesla owners. The top trim levels of the Kona and Niro (and no doubt other cars too) fit in that category.

I just got an email from Tesla confirming that it is based on order date...

Hello from Tesla Princeton!

We are reaching out based on your order hold reason of “NJ Rebate”

The NJ Charged Up Program will be starting in the summer of ’21 (No date for the start has been finalized yet). We are reaching out to advise that the State has changed the program parameters and for an order to qualify, the order date must be after the program start date. Your current order will not qualify for any NJ Charged Up incentive. The amount of the incentive has also been adjusted and may impact your order. With our current ETA’s for vehicles being September, we want to discuss your options to ensure you receive a vehicle promptly. Please reply back with a good time to speak and we can arrange a phone call to review your options. Thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY