Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to a Tesla sales rep today from Princeton and he kept telling me that if my order date isnt on or after july 1st, then I wont be getting the phase 2 rebate. However I dont think he really knows that for sure, seemed like he was just trying to talk me out of delaying my early May delivery date. He later said that all they know is whatever is on the charge up homepage. Time will tell I guess. The wait is just killing me, I really hope they go by purchase date and not order date.
There is a quote from the chargeup program in this very tread that show that the phase one was based on the delivery date. Although for phase 1 they did accept eligibility from orders before dec 15th 2020 and delivered before march 15th 2021 (and before the program ran out of money).

Phase 2 is POS. What we do not know (and neither do the dealers) is the conditions under which the dealers can apply the rebate.

That being said in the order agreement, when you place your order for Tesla, there is a clause that stipulated that Tesla may use discretion to apply the incentives (I guess depending on the incentive laws from each respective state).

I placed my order on April 15th and my SA also is (most probably) pushing for his sales figures of Q2. I do not know if it's like that for all SAs but I got about half a dozen texts pushing me to complete the info "in the next 72 hours" so they place our orders (or I risk missing out on quick delivery). I guess they are not used to dealing with customers as patient as I am. And I also guess that the impulse buyers are probably more likely to follow through with the sale if the steps are completed within 72 hours (vs buyers remorse after 3 days). I have been waiting years to buy this car. I'm not backing down. But that's not a usual way of buying stuff. I did not have a great feeling of our first exchange, unfortunately...

My gut feeling is that the state will allocate a number of sales figures per brand/dealers and they will probably have some rules around how they can pass the incentive to their customers (or not) and then that will be set. I am guessing they will have to prove to the state how the incentive was granted for them to get their money back. Which would incentivize the dealers to offer it as soon as possible. So in the case of Tesla for deliveries starting on July 1st (hence ordered before).

My guess at this point is as long as the actual delivery (signing/purchase) is after July 1 we are good.

I am going with this for now. When it is July and I have paperwork to sign I will look at the contract and if the NJ credit is not listed I will cancel the order and buy it again. I don't mind waiting.

I placed my order for an LR M3 at cherry hill two weeks ago, my estimated arrival date is 6-8 to 6-30. My SA knows I’m not buying without the 5k, and he and his manager said worst case scenario I have to place a duplicate order on 7/1 for them to move my car to. They seemed to think we were good though. My current car lease is up 6/30 so need this to work.

I placed my order for an LR M3 at cherry hill two weeks ago, my estimated arrival date is 6-8 to 6-30. My SA knows I’m not buying without the 5k, and he and his manager said worst case scenario I have to place a duplicate order on 7/1 for them to move my car to. They seemed to think we were good though. My current car lease is up 6/30 so need this to work.
Similar for me. I placed my order on April 15th and notified my SA I wanted the rebate and it's been showing "june 7th to june 27th" since then in the profile. I did go ahead and set an appointment with my bank for financing in early June in hopes we can set things up to get a june 28-30th date I ask to push on July 1st or something like that. I can't imagine the NJ SCs have not been briefed on this at all. If anything, Telsa may just skip the state in Q2 to focus on other orders. (based on the waiting room discussions of the LR M3).

So the LR MY has now gone up $1k in price since I placed my order at the beginning of April. Estimated delivery is now end of May. I wonder what others are thinking in terms of just taking delivery when the car is ready vs. waiting until after 7/1 to get the NJ EV rebate? To me, here are the things to consider:
  • If the car is ready for delivery in May and I push it back to July, will I be subject to the updated pricing, i,e, $1k more (unless it changes again). If so, this starts to erode the $5k rebate and we don't yet have clarity on the amount of the rebate (could be less than $5k) and we don't even no for sure whether the rebate will be passed by NJ.
  • I really, really want the car ASAP (as we all do). Again, if I push it back to after 7/1 will I be placed at the end of the queue? No one seems to know for sure. This could push delivery into August or later.
Of course, I will continue to monitor this thread and the NJ rebate info page as my delivery date approaches so I have more clarity on these questions, but I am really trying to justify getting the car sooner than later :)

Does it
So the LR MY has now gone up $1k in price since I placed my order at the beginning of April. Estimated delivery is now end of May. I wonder what others are thinking in terms of just taking delivery when the car is ready vs. waiting until after 7/1 to get the NJ EV rebate? To me, here are the things to consider:
  • If the car is ready for delivery in May and I push it back to July, will I be subject to the updated pricing, i,e, $1k more (unless it changes again). If so, this starts to erode the $5k rebate and we don't yet have clarity on the amount of the rebate (could be less than $5k) and we don't even no for sure whether the rebate will be passed by NJ.
  • I really, really want the car ASAP (as we all do). Again, if I push it back to after 7/1 will I be placed at the end of the queue? No one seems to know for sure. This could push delivery into August or later.
Of course, I will continue to monitor this thread and the NJ rebate info page as my delivery date approaches so I have more clarity on these questions, but I am really trying to justify getting the car sooner than later :)
the rebate has been passed for a long time. It Is just out of its 2021 funding so you’re waiting for the 2022 fiscal year to start and the bucket to be refilled. That date is 7/1/21. Murphy already signed it and funded it so it’s not getting changed now.

I made a post about this very same thing. It's in this thread somewhere. 😁

Cherry Hill is also my SC. My estimated delivery is May 11-31. Which SAs are you working with there?

If it’s helpful at all, we were in the same conundrum. When we did out the math the 5k would make about a $50-$80 difference a month in the monthly payment, depending on the interest rate. It’s significant for sure, but not so much for our particular financial situation it dissuades us from buying the car. We also kind of just need a car, our 2005 sable is on its last legs!

I’d say if you need the car this quarter just pull the trigger and get bumped up in the queue. We ordered April 11 and really hoped for a May delivery (maybe that will happen), but I’m resigned that it’s probably June. If it’s more of a want rather than a need maybe let it play out to July 1 or after and take the $5k.

Remember the two clauses from last time around. Are they still part of the program requirement?

- Applicants are required to remain a resident of New Jersey for at least two (2) years after the purchase

- Recipients of the rebate must retain ownership or an active lease agreement and registration of the vehicle in New Jersey for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.

Just spoke to my local dealership today, he said I can definitely place the order now and hold the account until July 1. They are going off the idea same as last rebate that its the delivery date that counts and not the order date. He did say that if any news comes out that the order date has to be after July 1 he said they can change the soecifics of my car which would generate a new order date, and then change it back to what I ordered which would also change the order date... so I’m gonna “order” today for my birthday and hold til July 1! May the odds ever be in our favor, haha

Reactions: rjpjnk
Be mindful that if there is a price change (again) between now and july 1st it will reflect in the price when you place a new order. The rebate will most likely still be better off.

I am assuming all SAs in NJ have been briefed about this and I expect they might reach out to everyone in case they don't want the rebate and want to get the delivery ASAP. My brother in another region had all SR+ deliveries delayed by 2 weeks for everyone to get to the rebate date there. So I am pretty confident it will work out. Would be curious to see if they give you a delivery date of June 30th and you pick up 1st or 2nd it still counts are Q2 sale for them? The program is clear on the wording that the rebate applies based on the date of the registration of the car. So based on the wording, you could pay ahead and as long as it's delivered and registered on or after July 1st you're golden.

Reactions: rjpjnk
A couple of things -

As noted, the program is set in stone and just waiting to be re-funded on July 1. The new rebate is supposed to be a point-of-sale deal, meaning you get $5k off the price of the car. And the MSRP still has to be under $55k, meaning that FSD can't be purchased (on the MY at least) when you buy the car. And with the price increase, your access to options also is diminished, unfortunately. I was able to get my car for well under the threshold back in January, with tow hitch and DPM options (and also got the $1k price decrease that happened in February). And as long as you don't alter your order, you're locked in at the lower of your price at order or any price reductions that happen afterwards. Price increase don't impact you.

Based on last year's program, the purchase/registration date has to be after July 1. You can order any time. Ordering means nothing and commits you to nothing (other than $100 if you decide not to get the car).

You can shift your delivery date to the right. The only question is how long. Various sales (not service) advisors say different things - but you should be able to do it at least 3 months. When I ordered my car on Jan 30, I told my SA (Chris Albano, who was excellent) in Princeton that I didn't want the car until after March 1. When I logged into my account on Mar 1, I had a VIN assigned.

If you've spent any amount of time on this site, you know that Tesla Sales Advisors don't know any more than we do about pending state or Federal EV incentive programs. I'd be very surprised if a legacy car dealer knew anything, and certainly wouldn't trust them to be accurate. They are, after all, trying to sell you a car....

Legacy car dealer will implement the rebate for the brands they carry (ex ford mache). And as far as I understand, it is the dealer that implements the rebate for POS. Tesla is a special case. So the dealers should know too. If anything more than Tesla’s SAs.

Don't know how can they enforce it? If someone has to sell it after year or so due to change in job, relocation, financial situation etc
Through your car registration/plates would be my guess as well as insurance. It is mandatory to notify NJ MVC within one of two weeks of any address change. And you have mandatory vehicle inspection every 2 years. Would be pretty easy for them to find out and relatively hard for a fraudster to hack it. I would not bother to fraud the state for 5K but that's me.