Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides, the rebate is not mandatory. If you think you will move within 2 years just don't get the rebate. EV are tax-less to begin with in NJ.
We are talking about genuine job, relocation kind situations where some of the folks can't predict for sure what can happen after 1 or 2 years. Best thing I could think of is some sort of a mechanism to pay it back to the state if situation changes rather than not taking the rebate at all when you are buying it

We are talking about genuine job, relocation kind situations where some of the folks can't predict for sure what can happen after 1 or 2 years. Best thing I could think of is some sort of a mechanism to pay it back to the state if situation changes rather than not taking the rebate at all when you are buying it
Yeah, I understand what you mean but the program is not well suited for such situations. I mean we could argue for 5 pages worth of forum thread about the terms but that doesn't change the program. 2 years in the state, 3 years lease, limited supply, etc.

I also think that rule is there to help prevent malicious fraud. If you relocate for a job in a year or two, they technically could come after you based on these rules, but I would imagine they would be targeting people abusing the system more intentionally. With that said, I would treat it like a signing bonus at a job that states you must pay it back if you leave within x number of months...many companies don't come after that money, but some do and you should be prepared to pay it back as that was the rules agreed upon up front.
This is just my un-professional opinion. Proceed with your best intentions, and if you do end up moving, make sure to keep $5k set aside just in case.

I think I read that too but couldn't find it again. Bummer.

Maybe the second round will.
I highly doubt it would as the program is just a continuation from last year with a different payment process. Here are some concerns I would have trying to implement it for used vehicles:

1. Abuse of the program. If I buy a car and get a rebate, can I sell it to my family member and they get a rebate? Then I buy it back from them and get a rebate? It would be a lot to monitor. I guess it could be done through dealers only. But some less ethical dealers could act like a middle man...buy the car from you for $25K, and sell it back to you at $26K, then you get a rebate and they made some money. It would just need very detailed rules and monitoring.
2. There is a good chance the vehicle was already incentivized when originally purchased. Paying for that much discounting will be too much to overcome on a grand scale somewhere in the profit cycle.
3. Does it help to get more EV's on the road? I am not sure how I feel about this one. It would certainly help move some more of the used vehicles, hopefully at better net cost to consumer, or would the prices just inflate? I could see this being a big opportunity to make EV's more affordable. If I know I can get a good price selling my EV, that would drive me to purchase another new one, and would be the backwards way of driving the goal of more EV's on the road.

Just to clarify, I am in favor of getting affordable EV options to people, and would love to see it offered on used vehicles...I just see a lot of issues they would have to iron out.

Does anyone know if a USED car qualifies for the 5k?
For Phase 1 it did not apply to used vehicles as shown in the following excerpt from the Terms and Conditions document. Phase 2 could be different, but I suspect not.

"Ineligible vehicles under the Charge Up New Jersey program include: • Aftermarket plug-in hybrid electric vehicles; • Electric vehicle conversions; • Electric scooters; • Electric all-terrain vehicles; • Neighborhood, or low speed, electric vehicles; • Electric motorcycles; and • Pre-owned plug-in electric vehicles."

• Informative
Reactions: Cuttin
I noticed that the FAQ for Phase 1 mentions a 500.00 credit for charging systems. It seems unclear if this is part of the same funding that we are waiting for to restart in July 2021. I was going to buy a Wall Adapter, but now I'm wondering if this might be covered if I wait until July. What do you guys think?

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.41.15 AM.png

I noticed that the FAQ for Phase 1 mentions a 500.00 credit for charging systems. It seems unclear if this is part of the same funding that we are waiting for to restart in July 2021. I was going to buy a Wall Adapter, but now I'm wondering if this might be covered if I wait until July. What do you guys think?

View attachment 657447
I am also waiting until these details are confirmed to ensure I can take advantage of it. I am flexible on what charger I get if it means I can get $500 back. And I certainly don’t need it before July so I will sit tight.

For Phase 1 it did not apply to used vehicles as shown in the following excerpt from the Terms and Conditions document. Phase 2 could be different, but I suspect not.

"Ineligible vehicles under the Charge Up New Jersey program include: • Aftermarket plug-in hybrid electric vehicles; • Electric vehicle conversions; • Electric scooters; • Electric all-terrain vehicles; • Neighborhood, or low speed, electric vehicles; • Electric motorcycles; and • Pre-owned plug-in electric vehicles."

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Well hopefully for phase 2 they include used.

I hope this new POS will be $25/mile. My guess is that it may be significantly lower, around $2500 max or even lesser to accommodate more NJ customers. $30 million @ $5K = 6k EV's, which will again deplete very fast. Good luck to all who have been waiting long for this rebate.

I hope this new POS will be $25/mile. My guess is that it may be significantly lower, around $2500 max or even lesser to accommodate more NJ customers. $30 million @ $5K = 6k EV's, which will again deplete very fast. Good luck to all who have been waiting long for this rebate.
Why everybody think they will change the amount? Makes no sense to me. To get more car eligible with POS they could use tax breaks to dealers instead to expand the budget instead of pure cash funding (or on top of). The website is pretty clear about the only change being it POS.
Sure they could pull a dirty trick but my understanding is that the only thing we are waiting on is july 1st (and the dealers are waiting on the implementation details)

Reactions: Matt35
Why everybody think they will change the amount? Makes no sense to me. To get more car eligible with POS they could use tax breaks to dealers instead to expand the budget instead of pure cash funding (or on top of). The website is pretty clear about the only change being it POS.
Sure they could pull a dirty trick but my understanding is that the only thing we are waiting on is july 1st (and the dealers are waiting on the implementation details)
Yes, it literally states the amount throughout the page and in the FAQ’s. I suppose they could change it, but they aligned to the $5K plan internally and there hasn’t been any mention of that changing. Look at solar in NJ as an example of making a change. First they had SREC, now TREC, and there is a very open message that those amounts will change in the future. One person doesn’t just change amounts of a program overnight.

my concern would just be over smaller changes within the program like eligibility. Could I see them making changes to the MSRP requirement in future years? Or maybe adding some kind of income limit cap to ensure its helping lower income households convert? Yea. But those would probably be mentioned in advance of changes in the following year.