Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one specific FAQ from the 2020 program is what is keeping me from placing any order before we have more clarity.

"What if I do not take delivery of my vehicle by December 15, 2020?
For Tesla and similar manufacturers, the "Order Date" of the vehicle must be on or before December 15, 2020. A Vehicle Configuration and a Purchase/Lease Agreement will be required to confirm eligibility. Applicants must receive their vehicle before applying. The last date to submit an application is March 15, 2021."

If these same rules continued into the updated program, it seems like we would need to wait to order until July. The $100 fee for a Model 3 shows as a "Non-Refundable Order Fee." I would assume that would count today as the "order date." Then at some point when/if funds run out for the year they would implement an "order by" cutoff date, and then a grace period to get delivery and submit application. That part will be somewhat different as the rebate will happen at time of purchase/delivery instead of a rebate applied for/processed after delivery.
Again, all just speculation.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I read through the Terms and Conditions document today and found some conflicting statements regarding this. Section 3b below states that for Tesla the date of *registration* will be used as the date of purchase. Registration has to be at or just after purchase, right? Definitely way after date of ordering. Oh, we also have to agree to live in NJ for the next 3 years ;)

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 7.17.58 PM.png

Reactions: DigitalD and Matt35
I read through the Terms and Conditions document today and found some conflicting statements regarding this. Section 3b below states that for Tesla the date of *registration* will be used as the date of purchase. Registration has to be at or just after purchase, right? Definitely way after date of ordering. Oh, we also have to agree to live in NJ for the next 3 years ;)

View attachment 650107
Yes that is the wording I like as well. The only contrary is the one FAQ that says cars ordered before July won’t be counted (and the email they sent me). I’m wondering if it will make a difference now that the rebate is at time of purchase instead of post purchase claim.
either way, I think I am going to order and place the order on hold. Worst case, the program details get clarified and I need to just cancel and reorder based on whatever confirmed details come out. I am ok gambling the $100 deposit to try to get the car sooner than later, but will certainly cancel and reorder if needed to save $5K.

Reactions: DigitalD and rjpjnk
Is it difficult to delay delivery until July 1st? Or is that pretty straight forward?
Supposedly it is straightforward. I hear that it is possible to simply tell the SA you are not interested in taking delivery prior to a specific date and that is that. Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in to confirm as my information is only second hand.

I'm in the exact same boat as you guys. Decided to throw in the $100 on a model SR+. Its a 9-13 week wait time on delivery for me anyways, so by then I think we should have good info on how the NJ phase 2 rebate is gonna work. I'll either delay the delivery date into july to qualify or just cancel and reorder if I have to at the cost of the $100. I'm very excited knowing that not only do we not have to pay tax for this car but will hopefully get a nice rebate discount!

Exact same thing I did yesterday. Website now says mid May delivery for my order. I can wait a few more weeks for the rebate
Yes, now we just need details on how the program will be implemented this year and the specifics.
question...does Tesla allow you to delay the delivery a few weeks if needed into the next quarter, or will we possibly get bumped a couple months further back to the next quarters’ deliveries?

I asked my SA how to play this and he was not certain and it does not appear anyone knows for sure. From what I can tell, when you get a note that you have been matched to a VIN, you can just tell them you don't want that car and you get back in line. What I don't know is whether you go to the back of the line or not. The 5-9 week current wait is because the cars manufactured at the beginning of the quarter get shipped to Europe (we are at the beginning of a quarter). Hopefully the wait in June will only be a few weeks. I guess we just play it by ear.

My service advisor reached out and said they do not have confirmation either, but are expecting vehicles ordered before the NJ program launches will not count. She said we may need to cancel and reorder in order to qualify depending on how it officially rolls out from the state. She said she will keep me informed on any updates to the rebate program and how we should play timing my order. It sounds like maybe the rebate would get reflected on the Tesla ordering tool perhaps, who knows. But my advisor is really cool, not pressuring, and understanding about waiting to save money. I had met her at my test drive a few months ago and have enjoyed the interactions so far...I can't imagine most car sales people in traditional dealer business models being pleasant through my 6-8 month test drive to delivery process.

I am another person in NJ waiting on updates on the program. I believe the budget itself is done already. I think it was part of the same BPU document featuring the off-shore "Ocean Wind Project" they announced over the weekend. 5K is a significant fraction of the purchase price. I have a hard-ish date of getting a new ride by Aug 22nd so maybe I will be forced out of it if it gets implemented too late...

Based on how they implemented phase one, I am hopeful the final purchase vs taking ownership can be "best of either". I believe people who placed their orders before jan 17th 2020 but took delivery after as well as those who placed order before dec 15th but took delivery after (sorta before march 15th) were both considered eligible.

Maybe a good hack to learn more is to inquire to non-tesla trad dealership to see if they know about it. I think they need to apply to be able to provide the rebate to their customers.

I am another person in NJ waiting on updates on the program. I believe the budget itself is done already. I think it was part of the same BPU document featuring the off-shore "Ocean Wind Project" they announced over the weekend. 5K is a significant fraction of the purchase price. I have a hard-ish date of getting a new ride by Aug 22nd so maybe I will be forced out of it if it gets implemented too late...

Based on how they implemented phase one, I am hopeful the final purchase vs taking ownership can be "best of either". I believe people who placed their orders before jan 17th 2020 but took delivery after as well as those who placed order before dec 15th but took delivery after (sorta before march 15th) were both considered eligible.

Maybe a good hack to learn more is to inquire to non-tesla trad dealership to see if they know about it. I think they need to apply to be able to provide the rebate to their customers.
Don’t know the full details of your timing situation...but even a monthlong rental if needed would still put you well ahead versus missing the rebate. I like your other points, and also hope my current order could work. My advisor put it on hold until May for now.

Don’t know the full details of your timing situation...but even a monthlong rental if needed would still put you well ahead versus missing the rebate. I like your other points, and also hope my current order could work. My advisor put it on hold until May for now.
How did you guys get connected to an SA? Did you order in person? I placed my order online about a week ago but nobody has contacted me as of yet.

I didn't complete the registration portion. Just the vehicle selection, dealer selection, and 100.00 application fee.

How did you guys get connected to an SA? Did you order in person? I placed my order online about a week ago but nobody has contacted me as of yet.

I didn't complete the registration portion. Just the vehicle selection, dealer selection, and 100.00 application fee.
I had met my service advisor at my test drive. Then I just placed an order by myself a few months later. Then I texted her letting her know I ordered and she ended up as my advisor as my info from test drive was probably tied to her in their system. You will get assigned one eventually.

I am thinking of getting Ford Mache over Tesla Model 3. I personally think Tesla Model 3 looks aren’t great. Ford still has federal rebate the guy at Ford told me Ford is going to give NJ rebate of 5000 in June. So that’s 12,500 you can get back nice deal and mache looks so much nicer

I am thinking of getting the Ford Mache over Tesla model 3. The Mach e looks so much nicer than the Tesla. According to Ford dealer they have federal incentives plus he told me in June they will have 7500 back from NJ. He told me it’s not going to be a rebate but money off automatically

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58