Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For everybody that's waiting for the Phase 2 of the Charge Up initiative. It looks like there is a hearing on May 27 to finalize this. Also it looks like the savings amount will most likely be reduced to $2,000. Here is the public notice. This can be found on the Board of Public Utilities site. In the notice, you will want to read Section IV Program Elements and section B. Also if you are going to get the Wall Charger installed, you'll want to read section D.
Many of us submitted comments saying the reduction in credit to cars between $45-55k wouldn't do anything for the overall program goals. Hopefully they took public comments to heart, unless their goal is to encourage folks to buy the small contingent of sub $45k electric cars available today.

I just emailed my comments today as requested in the announcement below.

"Comments may also be submitted electronically to [email protected]
in PDF or Word format and should include the subject “In The Matter of the Fiscal Year 2022 Charge Up New Jersey Program Docket No. QO21040745” along with the last name of the author and the name of their company or organization."

Hi All,

New to this forum. Planning to order a Model 3/y long-range model. I know we have the sales tax exempt in NJ. The new rebate phase 2 is supposed to start on July 1st, is that going to be $2k or $5k?

So the total savings will be sales tax exempt + either $2k or $5k rebate right?

Welcome to the forum! The NJ proposal as worded currently would give a 5K rebate for MSRP up to 45k, 2K rebate for MSRP between 45k and 55k, and 0 above 55k. The Tesla LR 3/Y models will be in the 2k rebate range unless you add a lot of options and push the price over 55k.

BTW, this proposal is not finalized yet and in fact there is a meeting at 10:00am tomorrow where the committee has asked to hear comments from anyone effected by the program (this means us). They want to know what we think about the 5K rebate limit being lowered to 45K MSRP. The directions for submitting comments are shown above. A simple emailed Word or pdf letter is all that is needed.

The tax-free benefit applies in any case.

after reading this thread again and again and me still being confused ….do we know if we are eligible for rebate for orders placed before July 1? Or does order in app and delivery has to be post July 1
I wrote to them to ask this question specifically. This was their response which I think is very definitive:

Thank you for your email and interest in Charge Up New Jersey. The Point-of-Sale Program, which will provide an incentive at the time of purchase, is expected to launch at eligible dealerships and showrooms with renewed funding at the start of the State’s next Fiscal Year in summer 2021 pending Board approval of this timing and approval of the FY2022 Budget.

The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Orders before July 1st will not be considered as eligible. Please note that program details such as incentive amounts, eligible vehicles and MSRP cap are still subject to change and have not been finalized yet.

Please continue to check our website for further updates.

All this and more information can be found here:

Board of Public Utilities | Newsroom<br />& Public Notices

Home | Charge Up New Jersey

I see your point, and you are of course right that nothing is truly "definitive" at this point.

I guess what I would say though is I feel like if these are the rules the program has set up at this point, they are likely to enforce it in paperwork on the back end. Nothing is of course stopping Telsa from fudging dates, or doing as some have mentioned by creating a new order for an existing VIN on July 1. But taken at face value it makes me wary. I cancelled my order, and am ordering again on July 1.

If the rebate stays at 2k for 45k+ vehicles, I won't reorder as the price increases will just consume the whole rebate anyway.
If tesla follows their recent trend for +500 every 2 weeks, that still leaves room for 2 more price increases before July 1 and with demand so high, I expect the trend to continue.

guys new to this forum, even though I am not in the market for tesla (I am debating between Mach E OR RAV4 prime PHEV) however I find this to be most comprehensive resource for the phase 2 charge up updates so i hope you guys don't mind non tesla EV enthusiast lurking around.

What if i purchase an EV / PHEV outside NJ will still be eligible for point of sale rebate, Dealers outside state have no clue about NJ EV charge up plan. will i still be able to submit online application for the rebate if i ended up not getting POS rebate if I purchase in say NY (registered in NJ)

anyone has details as to how can we join the call and ask the question (phone number / zoom link etc.?)

guys new to this forum, even though I am not in the market for tesla (I am debating between Mach E OR RAV4 prime PHEV) however I find this to be most comprehensive resource for the phase 2 charge up updates so i hope you guys don't mind non tesla EV enthusiast lurking around.

What if i purchase an EV / PHEV outside NJ will still be eligible for point of sale rebate, Dealers outside state have no clue about NJ EV charge up plan. will i still be able to submit online application for the rebate if i ended up not getting POS rebate if I purchase in say NY (registered in NJ)
No, you have to buy and register the vehicle in NJ.

Also new here, I was planning to purchase the model 3 LR for my 102 mile daily commute. The $5k rebate would definite make my decision clear to purchase one or not. Right now I'm in a being of a tough spot, I take a 2015 Prius to work everyday and does great.. but then I can get a plu-in prime for under $30k also. with the biden roll-out so called $10k ev is also suppose to be point of sale also.. over all with the incentives if they were to go through, the Model 3 LR would only cost me $4k more than the the plug in prime. When will the NJ decison come out $2k or $5k?