Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like our dream may finally come true regarding 'The Clean Energy for America Act' under budget resolution. It was passed in Finance sub-committee earlier in the year - $10,000 federal tax credit for Tesla who purchased after 5/24/2021, removed 200,000 manufacturer cap and refundable tax credit starting tax year 2022.

If you do a 14-50 outlet you should qualify for the federal rebate and it will probably save you money. Look in to it, I’ve been reading on it since I’ve been waiting on my car. All the installation quotes are the same for the plug/charger except you don’t have to spend $500 on a charger.
I was thinking about this... I had one guy quote me $100 less for doing the wall charger than for the 14-50 outlet.

Adding together the 30% tax credit ($150), the NJ rebate of $250, and the $100 price difference, it basically makes it an even deal to get the wall charger.

The only tough part in my situation is that I'm planning to move in a year, so the outlet seems to make more sense. I'd still prefer to have the wall charger though.

From reading the NJ clean energy site, the language makes it sound like the $250 rebate is definitely going to happen. What's unknown is whether there will still be funds, will the Tesla charger qualify, and whether the credit will be retroactive to July 6.

Looks like our dream may finally come true regarding 'The Clean Energy for America Act' under budget resolution. It was passed in Finance sub-committee earlier in the year - $10,000 federal tax credit for Tesla who purchased after 5/24/2021, removed 200,000 manufacturer cap and refundable tax credit starting tax year 2022.

Is this in the infrastructure bill?

Hi All,

Does anyone need a SR + white/white with 19in sport wheels for immediate delivery? I originally ordered on 7/8 but needed a car ASAP so I found an in-inventory one out in Florida. It cost me $1000 transportation and $100 new order fee to get it early.

My original order received a vin last week and is on its way here now. Being that I already purchased the in-inventory one, I do not need this one. I am looking to re-coupe my transportation fee of $1000. I will go with you to the dealer to transfer the VIN to your order. Pick-up location is Paramus NJ. Car is eligible for the $5,000 NJ rebate (already shows up in my account).

Message me on here if anyone is interested. I will provide proof of $1000 transportation fee if needed.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you use PSE&G, you may get a service panel upgrade for free.

Reactions: MG535
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you use PSE&G, you may get a service panel upgrade for free.

To add to this I went back and forth with the PSEG people who deal with the EV section. They don't have specific details on the off peak charging credit yet but plan to have the contract in place in September and can share more then. As of now a tesla charger won't be applicable for their off peak charging credit due to the fact that I think it has to be connected to them somehow. Chargepoint and Juicebox are two units that are currently acceptable for use. They were looking in to making a tesla charger acceptable but not sure if it will work out.

I'll probably go with a chargepoint for that reason as well as my wife getting a non tesla EV down the line so we can use it for both.

Hi All,

Does anyone need a SR + white/white with 19in sport wheels for immediate delivery? I originally ordered on 7/8 but needed a car ASAP so I found an in-inventory one out in Florida. It cost me $1000 transportation and $100 new order fee to get it early.

My original order received a vin last week and is on its way here now. Being that I already purchased the in-inventory one, I do not need this one. I am looking to re-coupe my transportation fee of $1000. I will go with you to the dealer to transfer the VIN to your order. Pick-up location is Paramus NJ. Car is eligible for the $5,000 NJ rebate (already shows up in my account).

Message me on here if anyone is interested. I will provide proof of $1000 transportation fee if needed.
Just curious, what was the price of the car when you placed the order?

To add to this I went back and forth with the PSEG people who deal with the EV section. They don't have specific details on the off peak charging credit yet but plan to have the contract in place in September and can share more then. As of now a tesla charger won't be applicable for their off peak charging credit due to the fact that I think it has to be connected to them somehow. Chargepoint and Juicebox are two units that are currently acceptable for use. They were looking in to making a tesla charger acceptable but not sure if it will work out.

I'll probably go with a chargepoint for that reason as well as my wife getting a non tesla EV down the line so we can use it for both.

I was doing research on clean energy, a good setup can be you have a large system of a solar system(your home usage + EV usage), this would potentially bring the EV charging cost to 1/6 of the gas cost, however, the downside is you need to have the solar system. which is another 25k to 30k in average. But for the long run(>20 years), it's a great deal.

Thanks for the heads up, will look into this. I could use a service panel upgrade as mine is quite full with 2 split ACs and a wall AC. No room for Level 2 charger.

I was thinking about this... I had one guy quote me $100 less for doing the wall charger than for the 14-50 outlet.

Adding together the 30% tax credit ($150), the NJ rebate of $250, and the $100 price difference, it basically makes it an even deal to get the wall charger.

The only tough part in my situation is that I'm planning to move in a year, so the outlet seems to make more sense. I'd still prefer to have the wall charger though.

From reading the NJ clean energy site, the language makes it sound like the $250 rebate is definitely going to happen.
Thanks for the heads up, will look into this. I could use a service panel upgrade as mine is quite full with 2 split ACs and a wall AC. No room for Level 2 charger.
You have to buy 1 of 2 chargers listed and they will try to get you to take the incentive as a bill credit. I contacted them a few weeks ago about it. When I complained I have solar panels and $1,500 of bill credit isn’t useful they said a check may be possible. I’m hoping for something more concrete when the program starts. They told me it would probably be October when it starts.

Is there a full list anywhere of all the incentives someone could take advantage of in NJ. I am ordering my MYLR soon and want to plan with the charger and everything but keep saying different things I can take advantage of (both federally and in NJ). Is there a comprehensive list?

Most charger websites will tell you what’s available. Or just google NJ EV incentives.

NJ charge up credit hasn’t started
PSEG gives a credit but the program hasn’t started
Federal rebate of 30%
That’s what I appear to qualify for in North NJ. 2 of the 3 are not set in stone so I’m not doing anything yet.

Edit: these are for the charger programs ^

Last edited: