Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint help! What is the fastest charging option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys so how do these public charge stations work with respect to when a car has finished charging? If I plug in and check into a hotel and am spending the next day sightseeing in NY on foot, will the car remain plugged in? Will I be charged only for the hours to top off or the entire 48 hours (parking I can understand). And isn't this unfair to other prospective EV charges whom might be looking for a spot? Most garages only have 1 or 2 EV charging spots.

Thoughts?

This is a problem with volt drivers I have found. They tend to take up charging spots for the day or overnight and I've always wondered what the protocol is. Don't see it as an issue for the true EV's sitting in spots. The plugshare app allows you to setup your info to be contacted if someone needs your charging spot,

Guys so how do these public charge stations work with respect to when a car has finished charging? If I plug in and check into a hotel and am spending the next day sightseeing in NY on foot, will the car remain plugged in? Will I be charged only for the hours to top off or the entire 48 hours (parking I can understand). And isn't this unfair to other prospective EV charges whom might be looking for a spot? Most garages only have 1 or 2 EV charging spots.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure about ChgargePoint, but be careful at BLINKs that require payment (and, I think most now require payment). At BLINK, the meter keeps running until you disconnect, even though the car is no longer charging. I believe it is the same with ChargePoint.

And, of course, if it is a free charger and a person stays connected after the charge is complete, they are just ICEing the spot.

Last edited:
Chargepoint has far more fee structure options than Blink (one of the reasons why my company went with Chargepoint for our chargers) and the station owner can pick. I think choices include charging time, power used, connect time, no charge and perhaps more. So it's worth checking before you plug in.

ChargePoint stations deliver constant power (kW), not constant current (A). Whatever the input Voltage, they manage the power delivered so that the current doesn't trip the 40A breaker.
If you're curious how much power your car draws, look at the graph on your ChargePoint account dashboard (https://na.chargepoint.com) or check the ChargePoint mobile app while you're actively charging. To find the current, divide Watts by 208 (for a public "3-phase" station) or by 240 (for a home "single-phase" station). For example, if the graph or app shows 7.2 kW on a public station, 7200 Watts / 208 Volts = 34.6 Amps.

Some station owners charge by the hour, some by the kWh. Lots of permutations are possible.
I often use stations that charge by the hour. When I get the notification that my car has stopped charging, I use the ChargePoint mobile app to terminate my session, and thus the billing. (I do this on free stations too, as a courtesy to other drivers.)
The station's display then shows "session completed" or something similar, and the map pin is green, showing the station is available. Any other driver who would like to use it will see I'm not charging, and is welcome to unplug me.

I've charged at 30A charger twice and 18 miles/hour is the best I got. Though when it was 20 degrees F, I got only 10-12 mph. BTW, I asked ChargePoint sometime ago about increasing the amperage of their chargers and they did not seem interested. I guess once the Superchargers are covering the landscape, who needs ChargePoint???

I used a local chargepoint last saturday to just check it out since I got a card in the mail a month ago.

it was 200V and 30A for $1.00/ hour, which is less than my power costs. I was unplugging and an older lady asked if I had filled my tires up ok? I looked at my low profile 21"s and I was confused at first but quickly realized it was her that was confused! :smile:

Im in the process of installing a charepoint station at my office building ... and all they offer for Level 2 is 30A ...

Chargepoint just seems to have all the points covered in the EV charging market ... so ....

What's the approximate cost and is their any return for a business other than increased traffic? I'm thinking of pitching the idea to the board at our Country Club. We're right off the Interstate. Seems as though someone could plan a round of golf at a very nice course while charging. Maybe just lunch, or dinner.

Between you and me ... the only benefit is customer draw.
Cost with install for me is around $5,800. Then there is an annual charge of around $230.00 less whatever income is drawn over the course of time.

There is, however, a worthwhile tax break that offsets some of the installation costs ...

Between you and me ... the only benefit is customer draw.
Cost with install for me is around $5,800. Then there is an annual charge of around $230.00 less whatever income is drawn over the course of time.

There is, however, a worthwhile tax break that offsets some of the installation costs ...

Might be a hard sell. 30a would be enough if you played a round of golf and ate lunch or dinner. Not sure anyone would stop at 30a if they were just having a meal though.

Well, I guess I should be happy, I now own and operate my own charging station ..... somehow doubting I'll see a return on my investment ...

20130305_153652.jpg
20130305_153706.jpg

I often use stations that charge by the hour. When I get the notification that my car has stopped charging, I use the ChargePoint mobile app to terminate my session, and thus the billing. (I do this on free stations too, as a courtesy to other drivers.)
The station's display then shows "session completed" or something similar, and the map pin is green, showing the station is available. Any other driver who would like to use it will see I'm not charging, and is welcome to unplug me.

I don't understand. What does the random person who unplugs you then do with your $95 J1772 adapter? Also, how do they plug themselves in if your car remains in the spot?

@steve841, pretty cool to have your own ChargePoint station - if I'm ever in FL I'll give you some business!

I don't understand. What does the random person who unplugs you then do with your $95 J1772 adapter? Also, how do they plug themselves in if your car remains in the spot?

@steve841, pretty cool to have your own ChargePoint station - if I'm ever in FL I'll give you some business!

You can unplug the J1772 from the adapter. The adapter stays locked and attached to the car unless the car and charger door are unlocked by the owner.

Model S heat does work while you are charging (thank goodness; that's a big improvement over the Roadster).

Plugged in to one of those sources, you will probably be pulling somewhere between 6 and 10kW. Heating the car could cost you anywhere from 0 to 7.5kW. So yeah, the cost can be very significant if you have the heater on full blast - your charge mph could be as low as 0. Fortunately the car is pretty well insulated so it's rare that you'd need full-blast heat. Use the seat heaters when you can; they use a LOT less power.