Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say the card is worth having. (I don't think it costs anything does it? I didn't when I signed up 3 years ago). I've used chargepoint stations in parking garages with no cell service, so it certainly helps when there is no connectivity for the app.

I'd say the card is worth having. (I don't think it costs anything does it? I didn't when I signed up 3 years ago). I've used chargepoint stations in parking garages with no cell service, so it certainly helps when there is no connectivity for the app.

Thanks, I'll get the card then. I think its 5 bucks. I'll most likely loose the damn card though. What year is this! :-/

I have the ChargePoint iOS app and also the RFID card - I received 2 cards when I ordered.

I have several times tried to activate a charger using the app and it wouldn't work for some reason - even outside where there was no problem with a cellular signal, so in those cases the card came in handy. Also the app sometimes seems to take a long time to activate the charger, whereas the RFID card always activates almost immediately. So lately I'm tending to just use the card since it seems faster

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
you're welcome!

p.s. another reason I'm tending to just use the RFID card lately - around town there are a few ChargePoint locations with multiple charging stations at the same site, but for some reason on the app they've got the chargers mixed up in the graphical map.

For example on a street with two locations appearing on the map, say the north charger and the south charger. In the app I click on the north charger, but I hear a click and the plug on the south charger one parking space away unlocks! Quite annoying. I've reported those locations to ChargePoint but they say it's a problem for the station owner. they say they've notified them, but many months later the problem remains. So, RFID card to the rescue, just tap the station you're at and no mistake. Too bad, because the app is otherwise still useful.

I got the card, and several other networks too. I keep them in the kangaroo pocket in the front of the driver's seat. (Do they still have those on new cars?) I've only paid for a charge once, but I've used the card to activate free chargers a lot. There are a bunch of free chargers that still require activation with a card, don't really understand why.

I got the card, and several other networks too. I keep them in the kangaroo pocket in the front of the driver's seat. (Do they still have those on new cars?) I've only paid for a charge once, but I've used the card to activate free chargers a lot. There are a bunch of free chargers that still require activation with a card, don't really understand why.

No they don't have that pocket anymore. What cards do you recommend getting?

Too bad about the pocket, it's perfect for charging cards and my phone.

I think I currently have ChargePoint, Blink, and SemaConnect. I don't think I've ever used the other two so I'd probably skip those doing it again. I also have an EVGo card in the mail right now, as I'm taking a trip next month where I might want to use their CHAdeMO stations.

Poke around some on PlugShare and see what networks are common where you think you might be going. Your needs might not match mine.

Yes, I recommend the little swipe cards. Even though Tesla is building out the destination charging program in concert with Superchargers, there may be locations off the beaten path that you wish to visit. Most ChargePoint locations are only 30A, but there are a handful that are up to 80A.

It has been comforting for me to be able to use the ChargePoint network ~5-6 times in two years to get an adequate charge in some out-of-the way locations.