Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger for ski lodge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

schnaxxl

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2021
macdonaldtown
I’m a member of a lodge in Jindabyne NSW
last year I was the only EV owner, as far as I’m aware
not sure whether there will be more this year
Jindabyne is due to get six Tesla SCs sometime, and there are two NRMA chargers already in a public car park
the BP servo had a big upgrade last year but annoyingly didn’t get a Pulse setup
anecdotally there has been a big increase in the numbers of Teslas and other EVs this year
there seems to be a general agreement among snow lovers that there’ll be a shortage of charging facilities in the town this season, and even with increased facilities next year there’ll still be a problem
I’m wondering whether I should propose to the lodge management committee that some on-site charging facility could be installed
I’m contemplating offering a donation of the device if they’ll pay for the installation
so I’m wondering whether anyone has done something like this - cost, availability of a pay-for-charge option etc
I’d love to hear any suggestions

I’m contemplating offering a donation of the device if they’ll pay for the installation
so I’m wondering whether anyone has done something like this - cost, availability of a pay-for-charge option etc
I’d love to hear any suggestions
The Tesla Wall Chargers can now be set up as pay for use (and will charge other makes of car) - for example the set up at the National Zoo & Aquarium in Canberra. That could be a good option, just set up on a cost recovery basis.

Reactions: schnaxxl
The Tesla Wall Chargers can now be set up as pay for use (and will charge other makes of car) - for example the set up at the National Zoo & Aquarium in Canberra. That could be a good option, just set up on a cost recovery basis.

I may be out of date with this, but I think you have to install at least 6 wall chargers to set up pay per use? Not positive, it may have changed though.

If the above model isn't available for a single charger at the ski lodge, one alternative would be to mount an isolation switch somewhere inside the lodge (eg: managers office etc) and have a system where the guest pay maybe $15 contribution for a charge, and the manager switches it on.

I stayed in a country motel with this system. It also prevents non guests stealing power.

I may be out of date with this, but I think you have to install at least 6 wall chargers to set up pay per use? Not positive, it may have changed though.

If the above model isn't available for a single charger at the ski lodge, one alternative would be to mount an isolation switch somewhere inside the lodge (eg: managers office etc) and have a system where the guest pay maybe $15 contribution for a charge, and the manager switches it on.

I stayed in a country motel with this system. It also prevents non guests stealing power.
it doesn't need to be a Tesla charger - possibly better not to be, if only to avoid looking like it's just for me
good idea re the isolation switch, though we don't have a manager like that - I think we all have access to everything

I think outdoor GPOs at most/all parking spaces are the better solution for a lodge with a limited budget, a slippery car park, awkward working temperatures, other guests who don't want to see the favouritism of dedicated parking spaces and will gladly ICE them (no pun intended), guests who will never stay less than 24 hours making higher amperages irrelevant, and the high cost and complexity of getting an electrician to do anything interesting during high season, when it might matter! Outdoor GPOs aren't interesting to work on.

And yes, put isolation switches or somesuch behind the counter, to avoid electricity theft.

My only concern with GPOs is the lodge needs to ask the EV owner to "bring your granny charger". Non-Tesla owners won't have an issue with that guidance, but since Tesla are stop-start not including a UMC with new cars, they might not know they don't have one, let alone bring it. Fortunately folks without one can buy a dodgy third-party Type 2 charger for under $300 online, or the legit one for $550, or just use the NRMA chargers in town. Or the lodge could keep a few of the dodgy ones in a bottom drawer and loan them out for a $300 deposit?

Oh, and get the sparky to advise staff on how many of those isolation switches can be active at once. I assume they can spare at least 50 amps on the board, so that'd be 5 at a time, until they're willing to pay for a significant upgrade.

Last edited:
it doesn't need to be a Tesla charger - possibly better not to be, if only to avoid looking like it's just for me
good idea re the isolation switch, though we don't have a manager like that - I think we all have access to everything

Looks like it's going to be an "honesty box" solution. At least having an isolation switch inside the premises will stop randoms from using it. As long as the guests remember to switch off after use.

Reactions: schnaxxl