Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger won't stay green lit on home 110 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I plug my model S charger into the 110 in the garage it will not stay working with the green light lit. The light on the cord goes to red -I have tried different plugs, changed the wall outlet, added a surge protector with no luck. Sometimes I can get it to work if I push and pull the plug in the outlet and get it positioned just right but it is very temperamental. Suggestions??

When I plug my model S charger into the 110 in the garage it will not stay working with the green light lit. The light on the cord goes to red -I have tried different plugs, changed the wall outlet, added a surge protector with no luck. Sometimes I can get it to work if I push and pull the plug in the outlet and get it positioned just right but it is very temperamental. Suggestions??
are you using an extension cord?

Reactions: CSFTN
Is anything else on that circuit? Is it a long run from the breaker? Most likely you have too much voltage drop for the car to charge at 12A. Try turning down the amps to 6 or 8 and if the car starts charging you can see what is displayed for volts. The car won't charge if it sees less than 108 or 109V I think (from 120 that should be supplied, the US hasn't used 110V for about a century).

Is there a reason you didn't have a 240V 50A circuit (NEMA 14-50) installed in your garage as Tesla recommends?

It could be a bad connection at your panel, or if the outlet is daisy chained at any point along the path. The ground for your main panel could even be at fault.

Your UMC is trying to protect you. Listen to it, and get someone knowledgable to check your electrical system out.

Step #1

Plug in somewhere else that has 120v outlet and see if your UMC does the same thing.

If it's better, stays green and good.. You have an issue with your garage outlet.

Step #2:

Hire an electrician to put in a new NEMA 14-50 heavy duty outlet in your garage.

Step #1

Plug in somewhere else that has 120v outlet and see if your UMC does the same thing.

If it's better, stays green and good.. You have an issue with your garage outlet.

Step #2:

Hire an electrician to put in a new NEMA 14-50 heavy duty outlet in your garage.
Step 1.5: Find out what's wrong with the outlet and GET IT FIXED. Don't just leave it to cause a fire or ruin some other piece of equipment.

When I plug my model S charger into the 110 in the garage it will not stay working with the green light lit. The light on the cord goes to red -I have tried different plugs,
I do not know exactly what you mean by "tried different plugs" (the other plug in a two-plug outlet, other outlets on the same circuit, other outlets on different circuits, all of the those?) but it sounds like the S is detecting excessive resistance and therefore will not charge. Hire a qualified electrician to check whatever circuits you have plugged your S into that resulted in no charging.