Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging $175 for checking rattle noise...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the service center today for a long standing rattle noise issue. I was told Tesla will charge $175 for the diagnosis to start with. Even after a road test, they deny it is something caused by Tesla bad assembly, they still will charge $175. This is the service center in Santa Clara CA.

Seriously? Anyone has the same experience? Never had a car under warranty gets charge for noise diagnosis.

BTW, the rattle noise is coming from the somewhere around the trunk and rear passenger side. I only hear it when driving on a slightly bumpy road. It sounds like some parts are hitting each other and the sound can gets pretty loud.

Went to the service center today for a long standing rattle noise issue. I was told Tesla will charge $175 for the diagnosis to start with. Even after a road test, they deny it is something caused by Tesla bad assembly, they still will charge $175. This is the service center in Santa Clara CA.

Seriously? Anyone has the same experience? Never had a car under warranty gets charge for noise diagnosis.

BTW, the rattle noise is coming from the somewhere around the trunk and rear passenger side. I only hear it when driving on a slightly bumpy road. It sounds like some parts are hitting each other and the sound can gets pretty loud.

Every car I’ve had has had the dealership charge a $110 diagnostic fee for things like a check engine light. I don’t see this as much different. It’s ridiculous, but it’s consistent with other car makers it seems.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja

Could it be one of your rear seats not latching in place completely but with a little bit of play, so metal hitting metal and rattling a bit when hitting a bump? Another owner on TMC mentioned he tracked this down to a intermittent cause of his rattling. I'll see if I can locate the thread. I recall I posted a photo of the part on the car asking if that was what he was talking about. If so in your case, a save of $175 or did you already have to pay it? If so, and this is the cause then they should make the adjustment n/c. Sometimes good to check on TMC to see if others have had the problem first.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors and Robmil
Thanks to our great search engine here (and I knew I had posted to the thread) here's the link: Annoying rattle from rear of Tesla resolved.

Hope this solves your problem. Rattles can be so annoying.
Thanks you for the info! I will take a look.

I haven't paid that $175. The noise is annoying but thinking I could live with it for a while before deciding to pay $175 upfront without even knowing it could be fixed or not :)

Reactions: SMAlset
I just brought my car into Santa Clara for a couple of things including a rattle... it included MCU reboots as well so maybe they threw me a bone. One of the techs drove with and confirmed it. No talk about 175.00.

Here is the invoice statement statement:

Customer States: I have a rattle in the passenger side, back (perhaps around
the subwoofer) that shows at around 65 MPH and gets louder with more
speed. Confirmed with technician on test drive.

Technician diagnosis and recommend to replace left driver side rear fender
liner. Technician removed and replaced fender liner and rechecked and
customers concern is no longer present okay at this time.

Correction: Wheel Arch Liner - Rear - LH
Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity
ASY WHEEL LINER, RR LH, M3 (1081583-00-B)

Pay Type: Warranty 0.00

I just brought my car into Santa Clara for a couple of things including a rattle... it included MCU reboots as well so maybe they threw me a bone. One of the techs drove with and confirmed it. No talk about 175.00.

Interesting to see the story from Tesla side is not consistent. I was there only for the rattle noise so probably that is why.

I think my rattle noise case is similar to this thread just left this feedback to Tesla
My issue is on the passenger side. I just use some tapes on top of that screw and it seems work fine so far. I will drive more in these couple days to confirm. I will be glad if those small pieces of tapes can save my $175

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset

Have you driven much at highway speed to confirm your rattle was the wheel liner? Shortly after I got my car mobile came out to bring out a license plate holder and I had him do a visual check that I had the required rivets in the wheel wheel liner.

I’m surprised that they would charge to diagnose a rattle in a car that is presumably less than a year old. Try Palo Alto SC. My car is in there for a rattle right now that they couldn’t fix in an earlier visit and also couldn’t be fixed by the mobile tech. In my interactions with Palo Alto SC, they never acted like rattle is excluded in warranty or that they were doing me a favor.

Btw, I also own a Volvo. They are also good with taking care of rattles, squeaks, fit, and finish issues in the first year of ownership. So this type of service isn’t unique to Tesla.

i had a similar issue and I found my tail light would rattle. Open your trunk and bank on the trunk with the back of your hand gently. I found my left tail light rattled, they replaced it for free.

Have you driven much at highway speed to confirm your rattle was the wheel liner? Shortly after I got my car mobile came out to bring out a license plate holder and I had him do a visual check that I had the required rivets in the wheel wheel liner.

Yes. It was easily reproduced when hitting around 60-65 MPH, so easy to test. What ever it was, it's gone now, but there are more rattles to diagnose now (only really happen on rough roads).

Oddly enough I just purchased some quick and dirty mudflaps that are installed, partially, with one of the push pins in the liner. I only looked at the driver side front and it's missing at least two push pins... my guess is that they are missing everywhere and could have been cause of the rattle problem.

I'm going to purchase some from Amazon to get these flaps installed and I'll fill in the gaps myself if I can.

Most repair places have diagnostic charges to determine the cause. I it is a warranty item, they usually waive that charge.

An example would be that if they found an item of yours that was causing the rattle, or an aftermarket part or modification, then you would be billed for the diagnosis.

Hope the tips from the forum will help you to solve the rattle.

Most repair places have diagnostic charges to determine the cause. I it is a warranty item, they usually waive that charge.

An example would be that if they found an item of yours that was causing the rattle, or an aftermarket part or modification, then you would be billed for the diagnosis.

Hope the tips from the forum will help you to solve the rattle.

What cars have you had that do this? I've had Mercedes, BMW, Lexus most recently and none of them if they are still within 4 years or 50,000 miles charge a diagnostic fee if they don't find anything. They would just simply say we couldn't find anything wrong and I'd be on my way.

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja
Had diagnostic fees with both my Grand Cherokee and Mercedes E350. All ended up being covered by warranty, but still were listed on my service order.

This is a fairly recent policy change, but dealerships needed to protect themselves from just doing free diagnostics, then people taking their cars someplace else to get the repairs done cheaper.

Reactions: tccartier

It's $175/hr to diagnose any problem. I believe they only give you like 3 days to identify what they consider "cosmetics" defects.