TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging a Smartphone While Driving Isn't as Free as You Think

Discussion in 'News' started by JenniferQ, Jan 12, 2016.

1. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

HA! I just read the same article.
    Another win for the electric car!

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Am I the only one who found this funny?
    Did he hear what he said?

4. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Would rather worry about much larger drains like under-inflated tires.

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

LOL... a rooftop solar panel actually makes more sense on an ICE than it would on an EV...

6. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Hah. Good point!

7. Lon12

Lon12 Member

Na, just replace your incandescent licence plate bulbs with LED and save 16w. Phone takes 4.8w so your ahead of the game. I think the most important thing to take away from those numbers is just how many cars are on the road burning gasoline. :crying:

8. jct_4628

jct_4628 Member

I don't think it is the small amount of loss this causes any one person, it is the cumulative loss of the entire auto fleet. You talk about larger drains like under-inflated tires, imagine how much extra that is causing! The cell charging looses .03 mpg. Under-inflated tires can loose multiple miles per gallon. Imagine even at 2 MPG that is over a 66 times increase in pollution and lost miles per gallon. Multiply that over the entire auto fleet and that is a scary number :eek:

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Such a load of baloney. Do they really have nothing more important to report? I would be ashamed if I were that reporter. 1: 3 one hundredths of a gallon. Big deal. 2: what about the gas guzzling behemoths on the road?

10. David29

David29 Member

I agree with others who are pointing out how silly it is to be focused on this tiny load. Besides underinflated tires, there are factors such as vehicle speed, use of A/C, having windows or sunroof open, carrying loads on the roof, towing trailers, and several other much bigger ways to consume more (or less) energy. But taking this to its logical extreme would say that we all should drive the tiniest cars we can and travel at very low speeds -- go back to the 55 mph national speed limit of the 1980s? The solutions need to be much more global than charging a cellphone!

11. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Don't forget to also replace the side turn/marker lights if you want an all LED vehicle.

The race to add more USB ports has replaced the cup holder race!

-1x-1.png