Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a Smartphone While Driving Isn't as Free as You Think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Na, just replace your incandescent licence plate bulbs with LED and save 16w. Phone takes 4.8w so your ahead of the game. I think the most important thing to take away from those numbers is just how many cars are on the road burning gasoline. :crying:

Would rather worry about much larger drains like under-inflated tires.

I don't think it is the small amount of loss this causes any one person, it is the cumulative loss of the entire auto fleet. You talk about larger drains like under-inflated tires, imagine how much extra that is causing! The cell charging looses .03 mpg. Under-inflated tires can loose multiple miles per gallon. Imagine even at 2 MPG that is over a 66 times increase in pollution and lost miles per gallon. Multiply that over the entire auto fleet and that is a scary number :eek:

I agree with others who are pointing out how silly it is to be focused on this tiny load. Besides underinflated tires, there are factors such as vehicle speed, use of A/C, having windows or sunroof open, carrying loads on the roof, towing trailers, and several other much bigger ways to consume more (or less) energy. But taking this to its logical extreme would say that we all should drive the tiniest cars we can and travel at very low speeds -- go back to the 55 mph national speed limit of the 1980s? The solutions need to be much more global than charging a cellphone!

Na, just replace your incandescent licence plate bulbs with LED and save 16w. Phone takes 4.8w so your ahead of the game.
I think the most important thing to take away from those numbers is just how many cars are on the road burning gasoline. :crying:

Don't forget to also replace the side turn/marker lights if you want an all LED vehicle.

The race to add more USB ports has replaced the cup holder race!

-1x-1.png