Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a 2022 Model 3 Long Range (which is fantastic) and have been using the included charger once or twice per week only for a few hours at a time, mainly for battery health reasons and minor convenience.

My sister just bought a new standard Model 3 (existing stock arriving this month) and she will only charge from home, so I am going to give her my mobile charger as her car will likely not come with a charger. She makes only short trips daily, so the mobile charger should be fine for her.

I am going to recommend to her to upgrade a socket to 15A and use that as a permanent solution.

For me to continue with the casual charging - literally 2 or 3 hours once per week - I just want a cheaper alternative to the $550 Tesla mobile charger. This is what I am considering: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005504881506.html

I know these Chinese chargers are unpopular on these threads but for my usage I think I should be fine, I just wanted to know if anyone has any actual experience with those ?

This one feels a little too cheap. YOu'd need to see what's inside it. I too wanted a cheaper alternative to the $550 brick that will sit in the frunk for 99% of it's life. :) and went for this one: MIDA Adjustable Portable EV Charger | 8A 10A 15A | Type 2 AU Plug
$279.50 shipped. There was a really good teardown by en expert on the tube and he commented on the quality of components.
Those that are 15A rated... Can they be plugged into a standard power point?

just want a cheaper alternative to the $550
Tesla mobile charger.
For the sake of a couple hundred bucks I'd rather buy power electronics from Tesla.
Review that says "works great" and "feels tough" is not exactly a review I want to rely on. But who knows, it could be quality.

Does it comply with AS/NZS standards for electrical equipment. I think they are 3820 and 4417.1 and 4417.2 There could be others

Those that are 15A rated. Can they be plugged into a standard power point.
No because the earth pin in the 15A plug is wider than the 10A socket

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a power socket at home so I need something I can use when visiting relatives, so now I am thinking to get this for only AU$156 delivered!

And then use a heavy duty cable which converts the EU plug to AU.

Am I crazy?! As I said I'll only be charging for max 3 hours at a time, once max twice per week.
Honestly why are you quibbling over $100 and wish to take the risk of using an non-approved device to plug in your $70K+ vehicle?

There's a couple of safe, standards compliant and approved options: $550 from tesla, or $280 from legit suppliers.

Reactions: Quickst and Erasmuz
I'd happily go with the $280 option but it doesn't plug into a standard 10A socket.
I believe this one has a 10amp plug. When I bought mine I had the option of 10 or 15 but as I have a 15 socket already I chose the 15.

Reactions: MThreeLR
I purchased new UMC tails from Alexandria last week so that I can charge away from home at the maximum rate 10A with the 10A tail and 15A with the 15A tail. They cost $49 ea including GST.

The 2019 UMC does indeed support these tails charging at the higher rate. My UMC firmware must have been previously updated because it instantly recognised the 15A tail could charge at the full 15A.

The part numbers are 1463091-10-C for the 10/10A tail and 1463068-10-C for the 15/15A tail.

But make sure you check the part numbers on the plugs themselves! They initially gave me unboxed 8/10A and 12/15A tails (the ones I already have), and I had to give them the part numbers for them to track down the right ones. Took them 10 minutes to find but they found them.

Pics below for those interested.

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

UMC tails.jpg

Hey everyone, I purchased a UMC when I picked up my Model Y back in November and as soon as I got home I set the charge limit to 1% above my current SOC% and sure enough the UMC updated from 8A max limit to 10A in no time.

Now one of my friends has also picked up their Model Y and UMC last week and for the life of them couldn't get it to update to 10A.
I suggested he pass it over to me and let me try and update it by plugging in to my car at home.
I've done the exact same steps and left it a couple of nights already but it's still only showing 8A.

I've checked the tail and it is definitely the correct part number (1463091-10-C AU Adapter 10 10A 250v) which matches the one on my own.

Any ideas?

I've done the exact same steps and left it a couple of nights already but it's still only showing 8A.
This is what worked for me:

Set charge limit to 1% above state of charge, let charging complete and wait 30 minutes.

Unplug UMC from car and switch off at power point. Switch back on and plug back in, set charge limit to 1% higher again - again waiting for a while after charging completes.

After the third attempt the car sent through the update.

The instructions I received from Tesla for updating the UMC firmware is:

Make sure your vehicle has been connected to wifi and is fully up to date on its firmware (it will come with a "factory" firmware that needs to be updated to AU regional, and then the most recent AU firmware release)
Make sure you initiate a charging session with the charging limit set to at least 60% (or above)
Leave your vehicle plugged into the charger for 30-60 minutes after the full charging session is complete.

I am still waiting for my replacement UMC, so haven't tried this yet.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP