Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been advised that 2.5mm2 cabling isn't recommended, and to go for up to a 10mm2 cabling setup (even with a 15A circuit) - is this correct?

You can use this calculator to independently check it - provided you correctly define the installation conditions:

How long would the cabling run be? 32A with 6mm conductors (for sheathed cabling touching a surface, or in conduit in air) would be good for a run up to 28 metres. 10mm conductors carrying 32A would be good for up 50 metres. 10mm conductors are very hefty and difficult to run.

Always use a qualified electrician to scope and perform electrical work like this.
They will do it in compliance with local regulations.
Of course, I've been contacting licensed electricians and don't think I mentioned otherwise?

Without us knowing these factors, it's impossible to render a judgement on whether 10mm cabling is required in your circumstances, but a second quote ought to confirm this.

FWIW I had a 32A 3 phase circuit run using 10mm cabling a distance (including risers) of about 14 metres in open air mostly, at a cost (including 32A socket and isolator) of around $1300.00 about 6 months ago in the Hunter Valley NSW.

Yep I've received at least 3 quotes - ranging from $800 for a 15A circuit to $1,800 for a 32A rated circuit.

Using 6mm2 and 10mm2 cabling.

I'm leaning towards the quote for a 32A circuit using 6mm2 cabling with a 15A powerpoint - I've been quoted $1,100 for this.

It's not the cheapest but it's from an electrician I've used before so I know their work is decent.

I've offered the chance for them to match another quote but they're pretty firm in their pricing. Will probably just end up going with them as they're familiar and keeping a relationship with existing trades may be more worthwhile than saving a few hundred $.

Last edited:
So I've just had a conversation with an electrician regarding a 32A circuit - they're suggesting / pushing to go with a 32A circuit with corresponding 32A 5-pin outlet. When asked, it seems that they're not too keen on installing a regular 15A outlet on a 32A circuit.

My concern is that I've already purchased the regular UMC and if the above is done (32A w/ 32A outlet), I'd have to fork out another few hundred to get a 32A tail to connect into the UMC as the outlet isn't a regular one.

My daily commute is <100km day and I think I'd be just fine with a 15A outlet (regardless if on a 15A or 32A circuit) and also the fact I won't have to spend anymore to get another tail. I understand that a 32A with 32A outlet would be the best solution, but is overkill for now.

What would you do - assuming the same level of driving?

Get a 32A circuit with a 32A 5-pin outlet (with the requirement to spend another few hundred (on top of the UMC) just for a new tail alone)
or
Get a 32A circuit with a 15A regular 3-pin power outlet installed, without the requirement of buying another tail
or
Get a 15A circuit with a 15A regular 3-pin power outlet

Last edited:
Get a 32A circuit with a 32A 5-pin outlet (with the requirement to spend another few hundred (on top of the UMC) just for a new tail alone)

I got the 32A circuit. 5 pin plug, single phase - so just one set of pins wired up, and use this adapter.

$129 AUD delivered.

A little bit less than a few hundred!

I enjoy the option of charging full tilt on the 8c overnight when needed, but YMMV.

Also depends if you have a backup fast option nearby. My closest DC charger is 4% away (15 min), is only 50kW, and costs a packet.

Reactions: dronus
I would definitely go the 32A circuit now if it were me. There shouldn't be any problem putting a 15A socket on it - the CB is to protect the wiring not the device.

If they're suggesting a 5-pin socket, does that mean you have 3 phase supply?

You can get by on 15A. I am still using 10A, but don't drive as much as you.

However, there a times when I would like more - usually when I have done a long drive, the car is on 20% and I want to fill it as much as possible from my large solar array rather than charging from the grid overnight. If you are always going to be charging from the grid, then it won't matter as much. If you see situations where you need to recharge quickly (a short time between two long drives), then obviously 7kW (about 42km/hr) is better than 3.6kW (about 21km/hr). The 32A circuit is easier to upgrade in future by adding a 32A tail to your UMC or installing a wall charger, both of which would give you 7kW.

My plan is to future proof even more than that.

I have 2 carports - one on the side of the house and one on the front.

I'm going to install a sub-board with 10mm cable to the main board on a 40A breaker.

Then I'm going to install 2x Tesla Wall Connectors (or 2x 32A GPO's - haven't decided yet), one at each carport, each running to the sub-board, each with its own 32A breaker.

Then I'm going to set up the Wall Connectors configured with power sharing. In theory I could power share up to 40A, but I would have to consider what else is running in the house (single phase only). I've heard rumours of Tesla bringing out an update allowing mains power clamp communication to vary the power based on whole-of-home consumption, but I haven't heard any more about that. I also may get solar/batteries in the future, but this will let me wire it up in a way that can support future whatever.

This way I can plug my car in at either carport, and also in the future charge a second car if I can ever persuade my wife to get one (or a visitor's car). The idea is only one visit from a sparkie, and get it right the first time. Which is why I'm still planning and still haven't done it after a year of Tesla ownership charging off 15A with the UMC. Can't rush these things haha...

Reactions: dronus
$129 AUD delivered.

A little bit less than a few hundred!

I enjoy the option of charging full tilt on the 8c overnight when needed, but YMMV.

Also depends if you have a backup fast option nearby. My closest DC charger is 4% away (15 min), is only 50kW, and costs a packet.

This is from the US though, ideally I'd rather buy locally just in case there's any issues etc. Not only that but the transit time from the US as well.

There's a 50kW DC charger a 7min drive from my house. and is $0.40/kWh so not too bad.

You can get by on 15A.

Honestly that's what I thought too - if I was driving 200km per day then I'd definitely consider a wall charger or something of that level. For my driving, I think 8-15A is enough.

The 32A circuit is easier to upgrade in future by adding a 32A tail to your UMC or installing a wall charger, both of which would give you 7kW.

Yeah that's what I'm enquiring with multiple electricians on, but it's proving to be somewhat difficult.

That makes no sense to me. Nothing in the wiring rules that says you can’t do that. Did they explain their objection?

I agree. I think their main objection wasn't regarding the legalities of it etc, but moreso that having a 32A circuit but only having a 15A outlet isn't worth it.

I can understand where they're coming from in that it's worth getting a 32A outlet, but it's just the additional cost of having to buy a 32A tail to use with the UMC as well. It's another almost $200 on top of the $550 for the UMC.

I can understand where they're coming from in that it's worth getting a 32A outlet, but it's just the additional cost of having to buy a 32A tail to use with the UMC as well. It's another almost $200 on top of the $550 for the UMC.

I found the 32a tail and UMC useful not only in my shed where I have a 32a outlet but also when I was recently in Victoria, the 5pin tail fit into a 3 phase outlet I “found” giving me free 32a / 7kw charging while I pretended I was doing something inconspicuous. Some businesses around town have them too it could accidently fall into for a few hours.
The WC out the front is super convenient as I don’t have to keep packing anything up everyday. Best of both worlds.

So I bit the bullet and opted for the 32A circuit with 32A outlet. Just over $1k installed.

I'll just now have to buy a 32A tail for the Tesla UMC - so it'll be something like this :

32A tail > Tesla UMC

1715254874409.png

Am I correct in assuming that it'll be up to 7kW / up to 40-50km/hr of range?

This would be plenty for me as I do 80-100km of driving on my working from the office days. I could even get away with plugging in every 2nd night and schedule charging between midnight to 6am during the cheap 8c/kWh tariff.

Also, if anything goes wrong, I can just remove it unlike a wall connector.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: OzVic
So I bit the bullet and opted for the 32A circuit with 32A outlet.

I'll be also buying a 32A tail for the Tesla UMC - so it'll be something like this :

View attachment 1045560

This would be plenty for me as I do 80-100km of driving on my working from the office days.

Also, if anything goes wrong, I can just remove it unlike a wall connector?
Yeah you can just throw it in your boot on holidays too.

This would be plenty for me as I do 80-100km of driving on my working from the office days. I could even get away with plugging in every 2nd night and schedule charging between midnight to 6am during the cheap 8c/kWh tariff.
Yep.

I do about 120km per day and charge overnight on a 15A GPO and it just covers it in the 6 hour cheap window (sometimes a bit over depending on weather and sentry mode).

For what it's worth, if you want to buy the 32A adapter locally as you suggested, I bought this one:

It's $175 for the 5-pin short tail version. More if you want a longer tail.

I've never used it - I don't have a 32A GPO at home. I just bought it for road trips so it lives in the frunk. But I bought it on recommendation from others on here.

Reactions: OzVic
So I bit the bullet and opted for the 32A circuit with 32A outlet. Just over $1k installed.

I'll just now have to buy a 32A tail for the Tesla UMC - so it'll be something like this :

32A tail > Tesla UMC

If you're looking to be neat and tidy and wish to mount the UMC to the wall I'd suggest the longer cable (90cm on the link I provided US$95), or $230 on evchargers.com.au because as you can see from mine (30cm) it won't reach the wall with a protruding 5 pin socket. I don't mind mine just hanging there but each to their own.

PXL_20240509_122111425.jpg

That is correct.

What would you do - assuming the same level of driving?
I’d stick with the UMC on 10 Amp circuit. That’s what I do and has worked for me for a good 6 months now with slightly lower kms.
I am considering an upgrade, primarily to get a unit that will charge using excess solar only like a Zappi (as I’ve got 10kW solar and work from home often). Then I think the expense of wiring in a 32 Amp circuit might be worth it… the labour is the biggest component.
If you were doing more k’s then you might need more…. But as you only need to top up what you need, you can get a fair bit overnight on 10A.

I am considering an upgrade, primarily to get a unit that will charge using excess solar only like a Zappi (as I’ve got 10kW solar and work from home often).

I'd suggest testing out Charge HQ to charge of excess solar. Works perfectly with the UMC in my setup. I'm lucky that I (currently) get it free as an early adopter but for $7/month or $70/year it will still be cheaper than Zappi for 18.5 years ($1299, not including installation). Charge HQ has 60 day free trial too.

Just a happy customer.

Reactions: elddum