Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Advice Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Looks like my home charger isn’t going to be installed in time for delivery of my M3.

Totally aware of the 3 Pin method, as a last resort but I live quite close to a main city and know there’s public charging points in most car parks there, some on street charging etc.

I’ve downloaded Zap Map and Charge My Car, so far. Haven’t really got a clue what I’m doing or how things work with these public chargers etc.

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Thanks.

Hi all

Looks like my home charger isn’t going to be installed in time for delivery of my M3.

Totally aware of the 3 Pin method, as a last resort but I live quite close to a main city and know there’s public charging points in most car parks there, some on street charging etc.

I’ve downloaded Zap Map and Charge My Car, so far. Haven’t really got a clue what I’m doing or how things work with these public chargers etc.

Thanks.

I would search out the nearest high power charger to you, assuming you aren’t near a Supercharger, and make sure you are signed up to that supplier. Can you be a bit more specific where is close to you?

You may well find that your 3 pin UMC is quite adequate until you get your charge point installed, though of course that depends on your daily mileage. I used the 3 pin for more than two months. I could charge most days between 6pm and 7am, which added about 115 miles range every night. That was more than enough for my needs.

You may well find that your 3 pin UMC is quite adequate until you get your charge point installed, though of course that depends on your daily mileage. I used the 3 pin for more than two months. I could charge most days between 6pm and 7am, which added about 115 miles range every night. That was more than enough for my needs.

I can second this, not doing massive mileage atm and have managed fine with it. Just plug and leave it, will be cheaper than paid charging most likely.

I have a 50kw 5 minutes away if needed and got the app setup but not needed it yet

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Our mileage is fairly minimal, 100 a week max
using a UMC on a M3P you will gain between 6-8 miles per hour dependant on how you drive ( which you previously said was not like you stole it) but even if we assume you were a hooligan you are looking at less than 20 hours charging a week for that mileage or put another way less than 3 hours a day. Based on that is it not easier to do your charging at home even without a dedicated charger? Do you not have an accessible 3 pin socket or something?

There's an Instavolt in Wallsend which is pretty reliable. Don't need to sign up. Contactless payment. Also in Washington. Go onto the zap map website and filter by Instavolt.

Whatever you estimate your daily mileage might be, that figure will go out of the window once you get your delivery!!!
Just to follow... InstaVolt in Gosforth has been removed and 350kW FastNed at St James’ should be online soon. Followed by Kingston Park and Whitley Bay.

using a UMC on a M3P you will gain between 6-8 miles per hour dependant on how you drive ( which you previously said was not like you stole it) but even if we assume you were a hooligan you are looking at less than 20 hours charging a week for that mileage or put another way less than 3 hours a day. Based on that is it not easier to do your charging at home even without a dedicated charger? Do you not have an accessible 3 pin socket or something?
Hi all

Thanks.
If you do low Mileage then the 3 Pin may suffice but personally I've found myself using a couple of Local Chargers and got into a Sunday Afternoon / Evening routine of leaving the Car on one of them for a few Hours, you're probably already aware of the Superchargers at Washington so you have a few Options and will quickly work out what suits you best.

As an M3 driver with a similar modest mileage and no access to charging at home due to street parking, I’ve been amazed by how little it has mattered.

In fact, charging is still a complete novelty each time I get to do it. If you are able to use the 3-pin each night you’re completely fine driving 100 miles a week.

My first 2 months I charged almost daily. Fortunately I had a vent which I could pass the cable through. Connected the 3 pin internally through a timer to use overnight off-peak. In those 8 weeks I travelled 700 miles. Only used a supercharger once for a 80 mile round trip the next day. Charging is limited to 10 amps so the connection doesn't get hot.

Charging is limited to 10 amps so the connection doesn't get hot.

... so long as you have good modern wiring and don't use a skinny extension lead that you don't even uncoil! ... even 10amps can heat things up in some circumstances so it's a good idea to touch the plug and accessible wiring (after a couple of hours of operation) just to be reassured. If you do use an extension lead with the UMC make sure it's rated to 13amps (even thought the UMC will only pull 10) "heavy duty" and fully unwound.