Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging - anyone else having issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that if it's not the location issue it's the issue highlighted by @VanillaAir_UK , the charger(s) are detecting a voltage drop under load and throttling back the charge current. Easy to check, just means measuring the supply voltage at the charge point under load.

Helpfully the car itself does report the voltage in real time so it should be possible to watch and see if there is a significant voltage drop during the initial charging stage before it drops to 16amp.

There is a big lag on that reported voltage, though. It seems to be a second or two behind the true value, so it's debatable as to whether it's reporting the true voltage at the instant the throttling occurs under the momentary load imposed by the initial 32 A demand. Putting a logger on the supply would be the best way to show exactly what's happening, and if it's a supply to the premises issue, then the DNO will usually do this for free, leaving the logger on for 24 hours or so, to record short term variations in supply voltage with load.

The other things that's a bit suspicious is that the current drops to the capacity of one of the chargers when this happens. There are three, 16 A chargers in the Model 3, two of which are used when charging at 32 A, all three only being used when charging from a three phase supply. The fact that the current drops from that which two chargers will draw, down to that drawn by just one of them, seems an odd coincidence.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Yes, I would lean towards that being the issue. The car starts at full rate then backs off. Franklin Mint needs to see if other AC chargers on a different supply have a similar issue.... if so then it's likely the car but if not it's got to be the home supply or installation.

So I have just been to a friend's and plugged to his pod point.

7kw at 32 amps. All good.

Driven home plugged to rolec and 4kw at 16amps.

So then did full factory reset. Connected to rolec and still no good. But then plugged to the zappi and it's working!! Previously did same as the rolec.

This makes no sense.....I have seen elsewhere mention of cars remembering location and restricting charging..but as the rolec still fails I don't understand.

It currently lists it's location as Paolo alto...probably needs a drive.

Well worth checking the supply voltage, I think. It may be that you're getting enough variation to cause the charger(s) to drop back when they sense a voltage drop. The semi-random nature of the symptoms is odd, and I doubt it's related to the charge point, TBH, as there's nothing within the charge point to throttle back the current, only the charger(s) inside the car are able to do that.

The obvious possibilities (there may be others) seem to be:

1. Location-related charge current setting being the culprit - doesn't seem likely now that the location is showing correctly.

2. A software problem with an app (possibly related to a charge point) signalling to the charger(s) to throttle back. This is possible, but if the charge point is set to dumb mode, and not using any connectivity, then the charger(s) should run at the full current that's being signalled as being available, as long as the setting in the car is at 32 A.

3. A voltage drop or low voltage that's being sensed by the charger(s) as a potential fault condition, causing them to throttle back.

It seems you've eliminated the first, and possibly the second, of these, so that leaves voltage drop as a relatively easy to check thing.