Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging - anyone else having issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having issues ? I’m running 2020.20.12 and the Tesla Ranger applied a patch on Friday to sort the volume and phone issue I had (sudden Music volume to max and intermittent call issues).
Since then I’ve had one part charge (only about 10% over the 4hr off peak time) and three failed charges - where I didn’t get anything at all!
I’ve contacted EV.energy and they’ve said they think it’s the latest Tesla software has cocked it up and I’m not the only one to report the issue .
I’ve raised a SC ticket

I have only had one issue with one charger, in fact one connection a 50kw DC combo in Inverurie.
I can charge from under 20% and over 90% but if I try to charge above 20% and under 90% it communicates, and may even charge for 2 mins and then produces an error.
I've spoken to 3 M3 owners and they have all stopped using the DC combo believing it to be u/s, but I have seen other car types using it with no problem.
In fact I saw an M3 SR using it the other day. I wonder if its to do with battery size?
I can charge from a low SOC with no problem and have managed up to 50% from the low, under 20% start but only once. nothing to do with other cars using the charger. I generally end up using the type 2 AC 22kw.

Anyone else having issues ? I’m running 2020.20.12 and the Tesla Ranger applied a patch on Friday to sort the volume and phone issue I had (sudden Music volume to max and intermittent call issues).
Since then I’ve had one part charge (only about 10% over the 4hr off peak time) and three failed charges - where I didn’t get anything at all!
I’ve contacted EV.energy and they’ve said they think it’s the latest Tesla software has cocked it up and I’m not the only one to report the issue .
I’ve raised a SC ticket
In the past week I have been having problems with charging at home using a PodPoint unit (which has worked with no problems fro 9 months). The newly discovered issue is that the charging randomly stops well short of the target SoC level. Eg starting SoC = 60% and target = 80%; charging starts and then stops after 20 minutes or so; it can be manually restarted using the Tesla App ... and then works for 20 minutes or so and then stops. Very frustrating! I have a Model S running 2020.20.1.

I don’t know anything about Tesla’s APIs, but I presume that apps interact with the car indirectly via Tesla servers?

Just wondering if there might be a problem with those servers rather than the car itself.

API talks to mothership servers talks to car. I doubt mothership is interfering. You just tell the car when to start/stop charging the car does the rest.
Thanks, thought as much. Well the car was definitely uncontactable this morning. None of my apps including Tesla’s could reach it. I just opened the passenger-side door and the screen was black. IIRC, it usually wakes up immediately. Went round to the driver’s side and it sprang into life.

So, how does the mothership wake the car when it is in some sort of deep sleep? Presumably, there is some kind of low-power consumption computer that can be reached somehow?

I find this a bit unsettling.If this were a normal day when I needed to travel a long way, I’d be stuffed. Never experienced this before, the car and ev.energy app has been completely reliable until now. Maybe I should turn off the advanced updates setting. I would prefer reliability than early access to some minor whizz-bang.

In the past week I have been having problems with charging at home using a PodPoint unit (which has worked with no problems fro 9 months). The newly discovered issue is that the charging randomly stops well short of the target SoC level. Eg starting SoC = 60% and target = 80%; charging starts and then stops after 20 minutes or so; it can be manually restarted using the Tesla App ... and then works for 20 minutes or so and then stops. Very frustrating! I have a Model S running 2020.20.1.

I’ve had the exact same issue with my PodPoint charger on my 3.

If my pre-charge SoC is ~60% the car will only charge up to about 65/67.

I can get around it by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, and yesterday the car was at 73% before plugging in and charged up to 80 fine.

Glad it’s not just me then

mine failed again last night, the only way I can get juice into the car is to use the boost function on the EV.energy app which forces the car to charge
No it’s not just you, and the boost feature worked for me today.

I can’t remember when I updated to 2012.20.12, but it was some time ago and I’ve had many successful overnight charges since then. I’m really hoping this was a one-off glitch.

Yeah I’ve had 2020.20.12 for a while but had a software patch applied by a Tesla Ranger on Friday .... cocked it up ever since then!

Incidentally the software patch for an intermittent glitch with the volume and phone call issues ...

I’m glad the boost works, trouble is I can’t take advantage of my octopus energy offpeak timing using the EV.energy app unless I wait up to press start and stop ... so costs me 4x more £ for my charge

last couple of charges (EO mini Pro) started off just fine 7+kw then 3 odd hours later drops to 4kw get into car and reduce amps on screen then increase and it shoots back up to 7kw and stays there, hopefully next update fixes this.

last couple of charges (EO mini Pro) started off just fine 7+kw then 3 odd hours later drops to 4kw get into car and reduce amps on screen then increase and it shoots back up to 7kw and stays there, hopefully next update fixes this.
I have the EO and observed that. Still was getting me to target on time though. In this case the EO is rendered dumb though. The app is controlling demand I understood.

I’ve had the exact same issue with my PodPoint charger on my 3.

If my pre-charge SoC is ~60% the car will only charge up to about 65/67.

I can get around it by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, and yesterday the car was at 73% before plugging in and charged up to 80 fine.

Mine has been a bit odd (PodPoint as well) lately - I have a scheduled departure set for 7am. I plugged in at about 5:45pm the day before, but it started charging straight away (from 47% to 71%). It then came on again about 50 minutes later to take it from 71% to 77% and stop, then again after about another 40 minute pause to go from 77% to 82%, then 70 minutes later from 82% to 89%, then finally from 89% to 90% (as requested) to finish about 30 minutes before 7am.

No intervention from me at all...

What is going on there - any thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: TM3P1