Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging app that calculates home charging costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember hearing about an app from one of the YouTube videos that would get the cost per kWh from your energy provider and give you estimates of costs of your home charging by reading your charging data. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it is, and doing a Google is no help with all the spam. Anyone heard of this or know what the app name is that does this?
Thanks.

I think you are talking about TeslaFi, although there are others too. I use TeslaFi. It talks to the Tesla API regularly so it knows when you are driving, when you are charging, when the car sleeps etc. It can gather the kWhs of energy you've used to charge. In its settings you can enter how much you pay per kWh so you get an approximate price.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Teslamate is a fantastic app that you can easily setup and run in your own house (no credentials shared with any 3rd party websites). Teslamate also can show a wide variety of statistics, information and graphs including charging and cost.
Just reinforcing, I use TeslaMate as well and I like it. Bit of a PITA to set it up if you already have some server setup, but definitely doable.

You might also try PWRview, originally from a company called Neurio that was acquired by Generac.

I bought it mostly to watch my power usage for my ductless mini split heat pumps in my house. I read reports the Sense wouldn’t reliably identify them, but the PWR view has inputs for two additional current sensors (sold separately) which you can put on whatever circuits you like. So one of those could go on your charging circuit for a very accurate and direct measurement.

Sense seems really cool to get a rough look at what’s going on with a lot of loads, but when you’re really specifically focused on one or two loads, there are some pretty good similar options (like PWRView) that let you measure them very directly and accurately.

All that said, to track charging, I use TeslaLogger (very similar to Teslamate) and love it.

If all you care about are totals over long periods of time, there are also some hardwire AC power meters on Amazon for around $20 that are pretty good. I’ve used them for various things in the past and almost put one on my charging circuit but decided to just set up TeslaLogger instead.