Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging around Ames, IA.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning on a road trip the last week of March, and will be coming south from Minneapolis through Ames. I checked the various EV charger sites and there are no public chargers around there. The hotels (Holiday Inn, etc.) have the standard 5-15 outlets outside that could be used. I am looking for some place to do a full charge overnight. The campgrounds in the area open first week of May, so that is no help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I live in Ames and I should be able to help you out. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed at my house (just south of town) in anticipation of my Model S delivery next week. My office would probably be a better option. I should have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed there in the next couple of weeks, and it is adjacent to the Hilton Garden Inn in town. You could stay there and charge at my office overnight.

I live in Ames and I should be able to help you out. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed at my house (just south of town) in anticipation of my Model S delivery next week. My office would probably be a better option. I should have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed there in the next couple of weeks, and it is adjacent to the Hilton Garden Inn in town. You could stay there and charge at my office overnight.

It is inspirational the way this forum community helps each other! What a nice gesture. We need to share this attitude with the world.

You may soon find lots of Tesla friends this way!

Wow, that is better than I expected. Thanks a lot. I will contact you via PM to work out the details.

Great to hear there is a Tesla owner in Ames, IA.
I just completed the Delivery Button steps and they say delivery March 4 – March 18[SUP]th[/SUP]. (Can’t believe that will really happen but haven’t spoken to the delivery team yet.)
We are in Bella Vista, AR, 200 miles south of Kansas City, and travel 3 or 4 times a year to Minneapolis area and then into Wisconsin about a 100 miles to visit a second child. Making K.C. is not problem but need charging there. We normally sleep over in Des Moines and expect that we could do a 15 hour public charging near the hotel and be set to make it to Minneapolis for supercharging, or a 2 day 110 volt charging at son’s home, before visiting daughter in Wisconsin.
In July we will have a problem as we are planning a 60 year class reunion near Iron Mountain, MI (Upper Peninsula) and haven’t found any public charging in that neck of the woods.
We plan to install the HPWC mainly to help others who may be passing through and hope others might reciprocate as we travel through their locations. Especially Kansas City and Des Moines.
Until we have many more superchargers has as anyone given any thought to a “reciprocator” group?

Model S Res. #13,967 (AR), non-perf, 85KWh, Pearl White, Black Leather, Piano Black, 19", Pano roof, Tech, Air Suspen, twin chargers

I live in Marion Iowa and have a 14-50 outlet in my garage that I am willing to provide for anyone who needs it. Please contact me prior to your trip as it is inside my garage.

Does anyone know where I can locate a map showing Tesla owners? Some time back I recall finding it and putting my information in it but now I can't seem to locate it.

Hi, not sure if anyone is still reading this thread.
We'll need to make some same day round trip to Ames from about 200+ miles away. I am wondering if anyone here is from Ames and can recommend some fast charge place? From what I know, there are a couple of charge points by City Hall and there is one by the Nissan dealer? Are they pretty available and how long does it take to get a full charge? What other places would you recommend? Thanks!