Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at home decreased to 46Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrical terminology can be very confusing. I don't know how to correctly say what you're trying to say, but I do know this is wrong for two reasons:
1) In the US, my 240V circuit using 2 legs (slots) in the panel is still single-phase (I used to think it was two phase, but that was wrong).
2) I can charge at 72 amps on the circuit described in (1), so the boards are not tied to (for) phases or legs.
I think Tesla connects the 3 boards as single phase for North America and as 3 phase for some cars sold in other markets,

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mxnym
My 2018 Model 3 negotiates with the charger for a minute or so then sets the charge rate it is comfortable with. Not the 48A my new charger can supply, but only 32A. Sends an error message saying something about the quality of the connection. 32/48 Amp. I wonder what that negotiation is all about.

5D9863FC-01BA-42DB-A3B3-844639CF5BFB.png

My 2018 Model 3 negotiates with the charger for a minute or so then sets the charge rate it is comfortable with. Not the 48A my new charger can supply, but only 32A. Sends an error message saying something about the quality of the connection. 32/48 Amp. I wonder what that negotiation is all about.
What voltage is it showing before and after the drop? If the voltage sags below a certain value it will lower the charge rate. It's possible that some part of your electrical chain can't handle 48A sustained with other loads. If it starts at, say, 243V/48A and then slowly drops to 235V it may kick down to 32A to try and get the voltage back up.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Some older Teslae will charge at 64 amps.
Tesla chargers:
40 amp (Standard Tesla onboard charger from 2012-2016)
80 amp ("Dual Charger" option during the standard 2012-2016 era)
48 amp (Updated standard charger introduced with Model X in 2015)
72 amp (Briefly the top end option from 2015-2019(?))
32 amp (Only for cheapest Model 3/Y).

There is some overlap. 3/Y has always been 32amp/48amp only. X has always been 48amp (with 72amp avail for a few years). S has had 40/48/72/80 options over the years)

in the beginning early adopters all used to say, the newer cars will always be better than current models. On board charging rate was a let down. 19.6kw -> 17.2kw -> 11.5 kw. While the drop from 19.6kw to. 17.2kw is only a 12% power reduction. Real world use, I went from an S charging. 65mph to an X at 44mph. That’s 33% slower Due to kw and the lower eMPG of an X.

The HPWC gen 1 handled the 80A charging of the model S better than advertised. That 2013 S dual charger could handle 253V @ 80A. I had 2guage from the panel. 20KW all day every day for years. Now the philosophy is to buy HPWC per vehicle.

My X charging issue started with a software update Last year. I have the 72 amp 17kw charger in the X. After the update immediately it appears software limited to 11kw. The grid voltage fluctuates between 240V to 253V in my utility. I can watch the cars response in amps fluctuate on the dash between 46 to 49, to make sure the car sits under that 11kw software limit. The SC says the hardware is in perfect working order. It’s really difficult to figure out how to report software issues with Tesla, if the SC cant do it.

The HPWC gen 1 handled the 80A charging of the model S better than advertised. That 2013 S dual charger could handle 253V @ 80A.

My X charging issue started with a software update Last year. I have the 72 amp 17kw charger in the X. After the update immediately it appears software limited to 11kw. The grid voltage fluctuates between 240V to 253V in my utility. I can watch the cars response in amps fluctuate on the dash between 46 to 49, to make sure the car sits under that 11kw software limit.
Despite what Tesla is telling you it’s very possible you have a hardware problem with the onboard charger.

The 72 amp charger in that generation S/X is made up of three discrete 24 amp charging boards for a total of 72 amps. It’s not uncommon for one of them to crap out, limiting you to 48 amps. What you describe is exactly what happens when one of the charging modules fails.

Despite what Tesla is telling you it’s very possible you have a hardware problem with the onboard charger.

The 72 amp charger in that generation S/X is made up of three discrete 24 amp charging boards for a total of 72 amps. It’s not uncommon for one of them to crap out, limiting you to 48 amps. What you describe is exactly what happens when one of the charging modules fails.
That makes sense in theory, but I've got behavior that doesn't make sense. It could be a board, but can 2 circuits do 49 amps? Why would it restrict the amps under what it's capable of, based on a user setting?

Setting the limit to 72 amps at the location, charge will limit itself to 46 Amps due to the higher voltage.
Setting the limit to 50 amps, charge is still limited to 46 amps.
Setting the limit to 49 amps, charge goes up to 49 amps.
setting limit to 48 amps, charge at 48 amps.
setting back to 50, charge goes to 46.

That's reproducible. I use Teslafi logging. The rate was fine before the update, and immediately after the update, it never charged above that new limit ever again. Updates could damage hardware, or recognize existing bad hardware and safety limit on purpose. Wouldn't the SC see an error message it's damaged and the new update now recognized it? The one thing I never paid attention to is if there was any mention of the upgraded charger in the about this car section. It's as if the update removed that I paid for the upgrade 17.28kw and limits to 11.52kw for any setting 50 and over. (The manual over ride case of 49 amps @ 252 volt reaches 12.35kw is what makes me think it's software limited not hardware)

Last edited:
Could the car‘s metering be inaccurate? It could explain the 1- and 2- amp errors if it is rounding up/down.
Could be verified with an amp clamp in your panel.
You could be right. The first 5 minutes at 49A and then 5 minutes at 72A(46A) are both identical on power consumption from the breaker.There should hypothetically be at least a 720 watt difference. (There is only a 30-50 watt difference)
Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 1.45.52 PM.png

Well, SC said there was nothing wrong with the hardware, we shall see if vehicle support tells them to replace it anyway.