Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at home with no garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I was wondering how many of you don't have a garage but still charge at home. Did you implement a shut off to deter unauthorized charging when out of town. not saying the EV community would resort to that but I wouldn't put it past the idiots in my neighborhood.

So people just use it without calling?

I was actually thinking about doing the same and installing this charger outside... Does anyone know if that will hold up to outdoor elements?

compu_85's other half, here. As far as I know, nobody has used our charging stations. I haven't received any inquiries and I haven't noticed any charging activity.

As for the charging station that you linked, they're good and will hold up outdoors, but they're $250 more than a Tesla wall connector.

So people just use it without calling?

I was actually thinking about doing the same and installing this charger outside... Does anyone know if that will hold up to outdoor elements?

That's my concern as well, I know tesla's chargers are outside but I have no way of protecting it from the elements. as for worrying about usage I guess you guys are right, even if somebody does charge i'd most likely never notice it

That's my concern as well, I know tesla's chargers are outside but I have no way of protecting it from the elements. as for worrying about usage I guess you guys are right, even if somebody does charge i'd most likely never notice it

If you're comfortable mounting the charger on the outside of your house, couldn't you also mount some type of enclosure to shield it from rain and snow?

Hey everyone, I was wondering how many of you don't have a garage but still charge at home. Did you implement a shut off to deter unauthorized charging when out of town. not saying the EV community would resort to that but I wouldn't put it past the idiots in my neighborhood.
There are many ways to solve this problem, but this one is my favorite. Very well done.

My outdoor charging box

Did not know destination chargers were identical to wall chargers
Tesla’s destination charging program gives HPWCs to approved destinations and a stipend towards installation. It’s the same HPWC you would buy to install at home. Actually now just called Wall Connector rather than HPWC. Notice it’s “Connector”, not Charger. The charger is in the car.

I live in a mobile home and will be soon buying a Tesla model 3 long range. Can I set up a home charger in my carport?
People can set up a charging point anywhere on nothing at all if they want. Run a trench to a spot and put a post in the ground with an outlet or wall connector mounted on it. This is almost always just a question of how to do it and how much it's going to cost.