Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Tesla Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

inquiring about how easy or hard (or not possible) it is to charge at a dealership (or HQ). i live in the bay area, and work in palo alto. there is a dealer ship about 3 or so miles from my office, and the HQ is about a block away. also there is a dealership (where i bought my MS75D) in a town about 15 mins away.

has anyone charged their car at these places or know if that is even possible?

thanks!
Yes. It is possible. Just ask.

While I was waiting for service at the Burlingame Service Center, I saw another Model S owner walk in, asked someone at the desk if he could use one of the HPWC in front of the store. "Sure, No problem. "

I've attempted to charge at the Bellevue, WA store and was told the chargers are only for Tesla owned vehicles.

I mean, if it were a daily/all day situation and you're taking up one of their stalls on a regular basis, I could see them "mentioning" they're for Tesla-owned vehicles... but if it's a one-off situation and it's not all day every day, I can't see them caring.

...you're taking up one of their stalls on a regular basis, I could see them "mentioning" they're for Tesla-owned vehicles...

When there is no public prohibition signage, how do you know this Tesla branch is discriminating an owner based on some criteria such as frequent usage, race, sex, religion, country of origin by just verbally saying at the last minute that it is not for public usage?

Last edited:
This week I was at a new store near Munich. They had about 6 wall boxes outside, half of them not busy. As I was low on battery and my mother wanted to sit in an X, I parked at a wall box and connected my MS. I should have asked for permission. Immediately the assistant store manager rushed out to chase me away. The chargers are just for their own cars. In emergencies he might make an exception, but I was asked to unplug immediately.

As a seasoned Tesla driver I am used to plug in any chance I get. Anywhere I see a plug, I try to plug in.

My mother sat in an X and we went our ways, about 10 minutes after arrival.

This was the first time, charging was an issue at Tesla. Both Service Centers and Stores were always very helpfull and generous with charging. I wonder if this experience shows a change in company policy.

Do their chargers show up as destination chargers on the MCU? If they do, he cannot send you away...

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
When there is no public prohibition signage, how do you know this Tesla branch is discriminating an owner based on some criteria such as frequent usage, race, sex, religion, country of origin by just verbally saying at the last minute that it is not for public usage?

Doubtful, but maybe they're just discriminating against the charger based on the fact that they're hogging a stall all day every day and that Tesla didn't install that charging stall for the exclusive use of said asshole. Not sure about California, but here in the Midwest it's OK to discriminate against an entitled idiot regardless of race, creed, sex, etc.... ;)

I mean, if it were a daily/all day situation and you're taking up one of their stalls on a regular basis, I could see them "mentioning" they're for Tesla-owned vehicles... but if it's a one-off situation and it's not all day every day, I can't see them caring.
Well the store is in a mall and it's a pretty busy area/has a high concentration of Teslas. I'm sure if they let everyone use it -- then they'd have no charging spots for the demo cars. Btw, I was only asking to use it for this one trip (I live about a hr away).

...OK to discriminate against an entitled idiot regardless of race, creed, sex, etc.... ;)

If there is a rule that local usage is prohibited, it would be written down somewhere.

Elon did try verbally in a shareholder meeting that local usage is "not cool" and he threatened that written tickets would be issued.

That is fine as long as it is a rule written somewhere so everyone is subject to it.

However, the local usage prohibition rule was only verbally raised but never codified into a policy.

What came out of that is: idle fee.

Tesla can certainly levy a fee as long as its rules are spelled out.

But notice: There is no fee for local usage.

Discriminating against local usage without a written policy can get Tesla into a legal nightmare for breach of contract.

If there is a rule that local usage is prohibited, it would be written down somewhere.

Discriminating against local usage without a written policy can get Tesla into a legal nightmare for breach of contract.

Breach of WHAT contract?!?! There is no contract expressed or implied that says anybody can utilize Tesla-owned chargers (not Superchargers) as their own personal charging stations. They allow it as a goodwill gesture. But, if they need them first, they're theirs to use!

There is a line between respectfully utilizing a favor and taking advantage. Jerks that take advantage ruin things for the rest of us. Personally, I'd rather not see a large sign with small print listing rules and regulations... but if that is what your thing is, keep the crusade going. Common courtesy goes much further than policies and rules to mandate what people should do.

Reactions: Ciaopec
My closest service center (Buena Park) being inundated with local charging at their superchargers have taken theirs off of the map, it does not stop locals from clogging up the chargers though as there is always a cue lined up when I have visited for service, I have seen people who post up in their car charging to 100% while a line is waiting to charge.

How much are Tesla charged around the USA, supercharger is $0.41 a KW in California… iE a low power producing state, what about other states
This is the latest calculator I could find. While the rates have changed ( Florida seems to be $0.25/kw now) the relative price remains close based on my trips. Hope this helps: Tesla Supercharger Rate Calculator – Teslanomics