Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable with 2023 card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the UMC (aka Universal Mobile Connector, granny charger, 3 pin plug) that is no longer supplied in the US. Both as a cost reduction for Tesla and the fact that a very very small percentage of people use it. They can see from the cars' computer how often they are used, and it was very low if I recall. I suspect it's the same here & I wouldn't be surprised if it goes away at some point.

Upvote 0
My type 2 cable, and my UMC, have been very rarely used in my 3 years of Tesla ownership. But on those very rare occasions, they have been essential. I think that before stopping supply Tesla should need to consider whether they are ever used, rather than how rarely.

Bit like passenger lumber control. Probably only used once but the benefits of that single time will be of huge benefit to some.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think they should provide a UMC with every car any more. If someone thinks they may need one, then they can buy one. If nothing else, it's wasteful. Mine went into a cupboard indoors & is still in its plastic wrapping. It would be an interesting exercise (if people could be relied upon to answer honestly), to compare a new survey now against one that was done maybe 24 months ago on whether anyone has used a UMC at all. A limited sample size, but even the few people I know with PHEVs have Type2 chargers installed at home.

In the early days of EVs when at-home chargers were uncommon & there were very few public chargers (fast, rapid, SuC or otherwise), then it would have made sense. But now, I would think the UMC is superfluous to most people.

Reactions: KennethS
Upvote 0
I think that before stopping supply Tesla should need to consider whether they are ever used, rather than how rarely

My recollection is that the reason Tesla gave wasn't "No one uses it" but rather "Buy it if you need it"

Time will come when it won't be a requirement to include them in the traded-in car (and I reckon they are a problem for Tesla because probably unchecked for safety when returned, so better would be "Hang on to the one you have"), along with the hassle of chasing people who think they can get away with not leaving it in the trade-in vehicle. I think its just an extra sticker-price cost if some/many/most people don't need it

compare a new survey now against one that was done maybe 24 months ago on whether anyone has used a UMC at all

I used to use it quite a bit when visiting friends for the weekend. They were generous in letting me plug in (mind you, didn't cost them much, back then! and they got a decent bottle in return ...)

Now I regard it as an imposition to ask, and typically some hassle of having to weather proof half a dozen daisy-chained extension leads, and worry about the socket in the garage with bits missing from the casing and the fact it got red hot ... well, not exactly that, but ...

Add to that I am now much more likely to find a rapid charger somewhere near them, and I can rapid charge the car in half the time it used to take (much higher kW and better wH/mile too) - so much more likely that I will now either fill up before / after the visit.

But, personally, I always have the UMC in the car - never know when I might need it, and I do trickle charge when parked for a week in a ski resort ... and I would at a hotel with no facilities other than an outside 13AMP socket

Reactions: Caramel
Upvote 0
Over the last year I've used the UMC at 2 airbnbs when travelling long distance. It's often enough to "keep my head above water" in areas without many chargers. (TBH, we like places in the middle of nowhere, and then to pootle around the middle of nowhere for a few days). Obviously it's different if you're doing a point-to-point with highways and superchargers.

I tend to prefer places with dedicated chargers, but even then, I like having it as a backup. If an airbnb I go to has a problem with their advertised charger, well, they owe me some granny charging. Also handy if I have any issues with my home charger (None so far, touch wood, but they don't last forever....)

It does definitely help having a set of good quality tough leads extensions. I have confidence in them, and they're waterproof.

That said, there are definitely locations where I've thought "Oh hell no" once I've seen the state of their electrics. It does require a bit of good judgement.

Reactions: Caramel
Upvote 0
Well, I use the UMC for 99% of all charging - it is plenty fast enough for recharging 50% of battery overnight. I can do a LOT of supercharging to top up if needed for the £1000 asked just to cover those occasions where 7kw vs 2.3kw is needed for a little more speed.

Reactions: MB11
Upvote 0
Like TechnoWatch I do almost all my charging with the Granny, In over 2 years I've used Superchargers maybe less than half a dozen times.
If Tesla didn't include the charger and made it an option to purchase that's fine - except they wouldn't reduce the price of the vehicle by the same amount they would charge to purchase it would they?

As the charging network grows and I guess majority of people will have a 7 Kw charger installed at home, I can see the sense in withdrawing the Granny as a standard included option like Apple has done with Iphone chargers, a second benefit to that will also be owners that have a Granny they don't use will likely sell them via Ebay etc at a much better price than Tesla would offer them for.

Upvote 0
except they wouldn't reduce the price of the vehicle by the same amount they would charge to purchase it would they?

You don't know that, me neither ,,,

In USA my recollection is that they didn't reduce the price of the car, but they did reduce the price of the UMC. But price of cars was going up regularly at that time ... so maybe a price increase averted ...

owners that have a Granny they don't use will likely sell them via Ebay etc at a much better price than Tesla would offer them for.

A new one, from Tesla, is £180 - not sure I'd want a second hand one even if it was half that.

Upvote 0
Picked up 2023 Model Y today (10/31/23) while trading in my 2013 Model S. When I looked over my new Y I asked where is the charging cable? I was told cables no longer come with cars. I went back to my old Model S and removed my old charging cable plus the bag of adapters that came with the car. I walked back to my new Model Y and put the charger and adapters in the truck. I turned to the Tesla rep and said “My trade in doesn’t come with a charger cable either!”

Upvote 0
Picked up 2023 Model Y today (10/31/23) while trading in my 2013 Model S. When I looked over my new Y I asked where is the charging cable? I was told cables no longer come with cars. I went back to my old Model S and removed my old charging cable plus the bag of adapters that came with the car. I walked back to my new Model Y and put the charger and adapters in the truck. I turned to the Tesla rep and said “My trade in doesn’t come with a charger cable either!”
To be clear was it the type2 the granny charger or both that were missing?

Upvote 0