Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable with 2023 card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up 2023 Model Y today (10/31/23) while trading in my 2013 Model S. When I looked over my new Y I asked where is the charging cable? I was told cables no longer come with cars. I went back to my old Model S and removed my old charging cable plus the bag of adapters that came with the car. I walked back to my new Model Y and put the charger and adapters in the truck. I turned to the Tesla rep and said “My trade in doesn’t come with a charger cable either!”
I might snap the stalks off mine and prise the parking sensors out of the bumpers too…

• Funny
Reactions: Jason71
Upvote 0
I use both leads all the time, only DC charged 2x in over 12 months the first being on collection. I regularly drive 150 miles between location, one with 7Kw and one with 13a socket, which easily manages to top it back up for the return overnight. The versatility is a real plus.

Upvote 0
At the risk of stating the obvious but to stem any UK panic, Velo1 appears to be in the USA where Tesla some time ago stopped supplying the cables free of charge. I don't think there has been any change in the UK.
Correct. I am in the US. The Tesla rep upon delivery told me not supplying any cable applies to cars in US. Not sure about what Tesla does in other countries.

Upvote 0
Help Please. Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 11.35.00.png

My Q2, 2022 MY LR came with two cables in the trunk; a granny charging cable in the nice square black zippered bag and a second in a clear plastic bag.
I have never used the latter or even taken it out of the bag until this morning when, also for the first time ever, I stopped at a non Tesla public charger, a Believ. There being no tethered cable at the charger, I dug out the plastic bag from the trunk and discovered that whilst the smaller socket fitted the charger, the large end with the dust cap is to big for the car charge port (and for the charger). The label part description is : Charging Cable, 7.5m, Type 2,3 PH,32A.

Is this cable of any use in the UK; perhaps other brands of non Tesla Chargers have larger sockets?

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

P.S. I pulled the image of the net.

Upvote 0
Help Please.View attachment 1042263

My Q2, 2022 MY LR came with two cables in the trunk; a granny charging cable in the nice square black zippered bag and a second in a clear plastic bag.
I have never used the latter or even taken it out of the bag until this morning when, also for the first time ever, I stopped at a non Tesla public charger, a Believ. There being no tethered cable at the charger, I dug out the plastic bag from the trunk and discovered that whilst the smaller socket fitted the charger, the large end with the dust cap is to big for the car charge port (and for the charger). The label part description is : Charging Cable, 7.5m, Type 2,3 PH,32A.

Is this cable of any use in the UK; perhaps other brands of non Tesla Chargers have larger sockets?

The actual label on my cable.

Attachments

• IMG_4067.jpeg
    IMG_4067.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
The package label looks right but the labels on each plug looks to be the same part number.

Each plug (type 2) should be nearly identical, but one end will be for car and the other for charge point.

So, are the labels on the plug for the plug, or for the cable. That’s the $6M question. If labels are for plugs, then you have two identical plugs, which is wrong.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Upvote 0
The package label looks right but the labels on each plug looks to be the same part number.

Each plug (type 2) should be nearly identical, but one end will be for car and the other for charge point.

So, are the labels on the plug for the plug, or for the cable. That’s the $6M question. If they are for plugs, then you have two identical plugs, which is wrong.
OK! Firstly, thank you for responding MrB.
The label is on my actual plastic bag. The photo I pulled off the internet. If that is confusing I will have to upload pictures of my actual cable ends which look just like the net photo ie charger size at one end much bigger with a dust cap cover at the other end. As this larger plug end fits neither the car nor the charger, too big in each case, perhaps Tesla supplied the wrong cable with the car.
I am still none the wiser😊

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK! Firstly, thank you for responding MrB.
The label is on my actual plastic bag. The photo I pulled off the internet. If that is confusing I will have to upload pictures of my actual cable ends which look just like the net photo ie charger size at one end much bigger with a dust cap cover at the other end. As this larger plug end fits neither the car nor the charger, too big in each case, perhaps Tesla supplied the wrong cable with the car.
I am still none the wiser😊
From your description is sounds like the right type 2 cable, the end with the dust cap you just need remove that and then it should fit easily in to the top half of the charging port on the car with the flat edge at the top.

Upvote 0
Help Please.View attachment 1042263

How have you been charging it since 2022? I assume you have a home charger? the plug on the cable in the bag should be the same as that and the plug in the black bag. How is it different? Could be a manufacturing defect unless they really have given you the wrong cable

Upvote 0