Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cables - charge rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for the information in this thread.

I should be able to access a 22kw three phase free charger on one of my regular journeys. From the posts above the maximum rate of charge I can get with the Model 3 is 11kw (equivalent to 40 mph) - please correct me if that is wrong.

In addition to Tesla Superchargers, what other chargers will give me over 11kw. In other words, if I am searching for suitable chargers on a map, what should I be looking for.

In practise the nominal 11kW may sometimes turn out at 12kW depending on voltage but that is indeed the car's maximum on AC charging. DC charging, or "rapid" charging, is a different ball game where the car has a much higher capability. For non-Supercharchers you are looking for chargers with a CCS connector. They generally start at 50kW upwards. A few will be up to Supercharger speeds i.e. 120kW plus ... perhaps even maxing out the capability of a Model 3 LR at 250kW.

Thanks for tip - will check out the link. What charge rate would Model 3 get from CCS

It's not a fixed thing. The max for a LR will be 250kW if the charger is capable of that (most are not). However do not think your car is broken if you get less! The battery temperature and its state of charge will have a huge effect. The peak charging speed will decrease as the battery fills. The last few percent are particularly slow but as a rule you shouldn't be using rapid DC charging to go to 100% anyway.

As above, in the UK, typically an AC 3 phase charge point may deliver around 11.5 kW, up to about 12.1 kW if the voltage is at the upper limit of the tolerance. However, in France the charge power from the same sort of charge point will be lower, typically about 11 kW, as France doesn't have the same bodge that the UK adopted when Europe harmonised supply voltages.

In the UK, we "changed" our nominal supply voltage from 240 VAC to 230 VAC, in order to comply with European harmonisation requirements, but in reality nothing changed other than the labels, as the UK nominal supply voltage is now 230 VAC, +10%, -6%. The offset tolerance bodge allowed us to have labels on installations and appliances that comply, but with a supply voltage that's still really around 240 VAC typically. France, on the other hand, has a supply voltage that will typically be around 230 VAC.

As above, in the UK, typically an AC 3 phase charge point may deliver around 11.5 kW, up to about 12.1 kW if the voltage is at the upper limit of the tolerance. However, in France the charge power from the same sort of charge point will be lower, typically about 11 kW, as France doesn't have the same bodge that the UK adopted when Europe harmonised supply voltages.

Good point! The 12kW was fresh in my mind having used a public charger that was giving me that rate a few days ago ... then it did actually cross my mind that the voltage is liable to be closer to 230 in France, so not reaching such dizzying heights!