Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging/departure schedule by individual day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us with unusual schedules, it would be nice to be able to set different charge/departure schedules by the day instead of just "every day" or "weekdays". I can do this with my 10 year old $100 thermostat in the house, why not my new expensive high-tech car?
Are you on a time of day rate?

If not, the solution is really easy. Remove all schedules.
If you are, then set the time that the rate goes back up in the morning.

If you are worrying this much about your battery, you need to get over it. It isn't going to make a difference.

My car is ALWAYS ready for me.

Are you on a time of day rate?

If not, the solution is really easy. Remove all schedules.
If you are, then set the time that the rate goes back up in the morning.

If you are worrying this much about your battery, you need to get over it. It isn't going to make a difference.

My car is ALWAYS ready for me.
Yes, I'm on a dedicated EV charging plan where power is super cheap from 2300-0700.

The point is more about pre-conditioning and departure prep--my schedule is not consistent and I don't work a normal Monday-Friday schedule. I'd like to be able to set "off-peak scheduled departure" by individual day, so that Monday is at one time, Tuesday and Thursday on another, Wednesday and Friday on yet another, a different one for Saturday, and finally a different one for Sunday, without having to go in and reprogram it every night.

It looks like there are third-party apps that can do this (Tessie?) but basic functionality like this should be part of a car as advanced as a Tesla. I wouldn't expect this out of an early Leaf or something.

Yes, I'm on a dedicated EV charging plan where power is super cheap from 2300-0700.

The point is more about pre-conditioning and departure prep--my schedule is not consistent and I don't work a normal Monday-Friday schedule. I'd like to be able to set "off-peak scheduled departure" by individual day, so that Monday is at one time, Tuesday and Thursday on another, Wednesday and Friday on yet another, a different one for Saturday, and finally a different one for Sunday, without having to go in and reprogram it every night.

It looks like there are third-party apps that can do this (Tessie?) but basic functionality like this should be part of a car as advanced as a Tesla. I wouldn't expect this out of an early Leaf or something.

Tesla put the functionality in to support time-of-day electrical rates.

It isn't design as a personal valet.

And you are in GA, on a temperate coast. You don't need to worry about preconditioning the battery. You aren't in Minneapolis.

And your "super cheap" charging at night on Georgia Power is also offset by double the normal cost and higher than average costs during the other periods. Some folks have found that the GA Power EV rates don't save them money.

Last edited:
Considering it’s been this way for 11 years already, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I don't hold my breath waiting on anything from Tesla. But this seems like a simple option :D

Maybe have an option for "automatically precondition based on calendar entries when SOC greater than X%" or something. Maybe based on getting to the calendar event AND THEN back to home location for charging. If the vehicle can make all these trips with a return home SOC greater than 20%, go for it.

You can do this - and more - with TeslaFi. Check in the "Controls" menu, then the "Schedules & Reminders" section.

I've been a happy TeslaFi user for 2 years, and have an account for both of my Tesla's. It records just about every data point the car offers, presents a ton of stats, and adds lots of features that Tesla never implemented, but should have - like the "schedules & reminders".

You can sign up for a free one month trial with a referral link (this is mine - https://www.teslafi.com/signup.php?referred=skydve1 ).
You can use someone else's referral link as well to get the one month trial, otherwise you get a 2 week trial if you just sign up from their main page: TeslaFi Signup.

Reactions: KevinT3141
And you are in GA, on a temperate coast. You don't need to worry about preconditioning the battery. You aren't in Minneapolis.
Less worried about preconditioning the battery, more so the cabin. It might not be a frigid wasteland down here in the winter months but we still get frost, and the summer mornings can be rather thick. I want my car defrosted and warmed when I go to leave, or dried and cooled in the summer. I used to accomplish this in winter using a small heater fan, timer, and extension cord in the ICE vehicles.

And your "super cheap" charging at night on Georgia Power is also offset by double the normal cost and higher than average costs during the other periods. Some folks have found that the GA Power EV rates don't save them money.
I've done the math on previous usage patterns (I'm an engineer, this is what I do...) with full hourly pricing records. Summer non-charging expenses are pretty much break-even, and winter should save us a ton since we have a heat pump and heat strips for aux (which run hardest when it's coldest out).

We just got our first bill on the EV plan today and my numbers were almost spot-on. It's pretty much cost-neutral for us, just making a couple of minor habit changes (primarily, not running the dryer during peak times). It still wasn't the highest bill we've had in this house--winter used to be awful before I insulated the garage and got the heat pump installed.

You can do this - and more - with TeslaFi. Check in the "Controls" menu, then the "Schedules & Reminders" section.

I've been a happy TeslaFi user for 2 years, and have an account for both of my Tesla's. It records just about every data point the car offers, presents a ton of stats, and adds lots of features that Tesla never implemented, but should have - like the "schedules & reminders".
I've looked at both Teslafi and Tessie for the automation aspect. Not really sure it's worh the expense just for that. I am not interested in the detailed stats--that is, I am, but I know that's a rabbit hole I don't need to go down given my personality. I had a hybrid car for 3 years a while back and the real time stats and feedback just made me neurotic and led to me drifting to hypermiling and refusing to use the AC. I need to stay out of the stats and just enjoy driving the car.

Less worried about preconditioning the battery, more so the cabin. It might not be a frigid wasteland down here in the winter months but we still get frost, and the summer mornings can be rather thick. I want my car defrosted and warmed when I go to leave, or dried and cooled in the summer. I used to accomplish this in winter using a small heater fan, timer, and extension cord in the ICE vehicles.

I've done the math on previous usage patterns (I'm an engineer, this is what I do...) with full hourly pricing records. Summer non-charging expenses are pretty much break-even, and winter should save us a ton since we have a heat pump and heat strips for aux (which run hardest when it's coldest out).

We just got our first bill on the EV plan today and my numbers were almost spot-on. It's pretty much cost-neutral for us, just making a couple of minor habit changes (primarily, not running the dryer during peak times). It still wasn't the highest bill we've had in this house--winter used to be awful before I insulated the garage and got the heat pump installed.

I'm not that far away from you and I've lived further south, so I am quite familiar with conditions.

First, unlike most other cars, a Tesla will cool down is very short periods of time because it has an electric compressor. A classic ICE won't start cooling until the car is up to enough speed to allow the compressor to run fully. In a Tesla, that's just a few seconds while stopped.

So I'm not sure of the advantage that you are getting with a variable rate if you are having to shed loads during peak times?

First, unlike most other cars, a Tesla will cool down is very short periods of time because it has an electric compressor. A classic ICE won't start cooling until the car is up to enough speed to allow the compressor to run fully. In a Tesla, that's just a few seconds while stopped.
(a) It still takes time. I timed it when I started cooling before leaving work, and it took about 8 minutes to get the temperature down.
(b) How long it takes is irrelevant. I want the car cooled down/warmed up and ready to go at certain (different) times every day so I can walk out to it and it be ready to go without having to do it manually all the time. But I don't have a regular 9-5 schedule. In the morning would look more like leaving at 0445 MWF, 0630 TR, 0530 Sa, 0900 Su.

So I'm not sure of the advantage that you are getting with a variable rate if you are having to shed loads during peak times?
The advantage is that, while we don't really save anything on the non-vehicle-charging loads during summer, it saved us at least $42 on charging costs. Or to put it another way, our bill would have been about $40 higher on the "normal" plan, with the only real behavior change being "don't run laundry in the middle of the day"--which of course is such a huge sacrifice.
Outside of June-September it should be cheaper overall, especially in the winter where the savings look to be be another $20-30 on top of charging savings.

The point is, it seems silly to have to go with a paid third-party app just to do what my knockoff Roomba clone can do and run on a schedule that changes from day to day.

For those of us with unusual schedules, it would be nice to be able to set different charge/departure schedules by the day instead of just "every day" or "weekdays". I can do this with my 10 year old $100 thermostat in the house, why not my new expensive high-tech car?
I have exactly the same beef. There should be a third, one-time use option available on the scheduling menu that is only good for the next day.

What is the best way to make a suggestion to Tesla for them to at least consider?

Totally agree, I was certain it would come an update to fix this. But now have been waiting for years…

Our 2016 GTE had the option to set up a weekly schedule for departure. As well as a single departure. Now If you want the tesla pre-heated on one single occation and then forget to turn it off…

I have exactly the same beef. There should be a third, one-time use option available on the scheduling menu that is only good for the next day.

What is the best way to make a suggestion to Tesla for them to at least consider?
I have a similar issue. My wife is a nurse and works a two week rolling schedule, so her schedule in week 1 is different then her schedule in week 2. So I cannot use the departure/preconditioning schedule within the app per se. Fortunately her departure time doesn't vary even though her workdays do, so on some days we just let the car precondition even when she doesn't work that day. I think the feature I'd like to see is two simple notifications that state your current selections - and validate whether you still want the schedule to apply for the next day - or if I want to "snooze" tomorrow's scheduled departure/precondition. We're iPhone users - so ideally I'd want a notification each evening - asking if I want to keep the scheduled precondition active - or if I want to snooze tomorrow's precondition schedule - so the app notication pop-up would say something like:

Tesla App: Your MY LR is set to depart from Home at x:xx AM tomorrow. Click here to snooze tomorrow's precondition schedule.
Tesla App: Your MY LR is set for off-peak charging at Home tomorrow. Click here to snooze tomorrow's off-peak charge schedule.

You could toggle/disable these notification settings within the app based upon the actual location - so that way only users who want these notifications when at a certain location (like home) would enable them. We tend to forget to go in on a day to day basis and toggle these settings on/off for our Home location and therefore having notifications as reminders with a snooze function would work well for us. Something along this line would be a nice feature add. You could then build on it and allow for multi-day snoozing for example (like when on vacation). Just thinking out loud here - I haven't fully thought through all of this - so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Agree. All it would take is a simple calendar update in the Schedule section of the app.

I don't know why I can't vote for this. I've set my departure for a day, then forgot that I did. So my car preconditioned every day until I discovered I left it on. Needs to have a "one time" setting.

Reactions: HitchHiker71