Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Door Opens Randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happening Day 1 on my new 2023 model S. I don’t have fobs for the model S. Seems to have happened when people have walked by the car with other car fobs and phones in their pockets. Has happened in garage and on street. Haven’t had time to experiment enough yet with only other car fobs and not phones present.

Happening Day 1 on my new 2023 model S. I don’t have fobs for the model S. Seems to have happened when people have walked by the car with other car fobs and phones in their pockets. Has happened in garage and on street. Haven’t had time to experiment enough yet with only other car fobs and not phones present.
New car. Right out of the factory. Random opening doors is not normal. Suggest: Use the app, state the problem, and let them schedule a fix.

FWIW, on a 2018 M3 we own, about six months after we got it, the door stopped opening, stopped closing, needed manual intervention, all sorts of fun stuff. Dinged Tesla, the mobile tech showed up and, in the space of ten minutes, replaced the door motor assembly. End of trouble. At the time the fellow said that he'd fixed a not-insignificant number of these. No problems since then.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Well this just started happening to me on my 2023 Plaid S that I've had since November. It only recently started occurring randomly in the last month or 2 and only at home.

Today I sorta figured out why but it is really strange. I have 2 wireless garage door remotes on the wall for my 2 garage doors. Apparently one of them triggers my charging port door about 30-40% of the time. I THINK I may have had to retrain that whole opener, it maxes out with a certain number of devices taught to it (5 or 6) and when we got our Rivian in March I believe I had to reteach all the wireless remotes/devices to it. I'm guessing that is when it started.

I'm not sure how to proceed, I may see if I can just reprogram that one wall remote that is triggering my charge port, or I may have to reset the whole unit and link all devices again.

Very weird.
This happened to me today. I was testing one of my garage door remotes, and when I opened the garage door, the charge port on my Model S opened (but not the charge port on my wife's Model 3, which was also in the garage). I don't usually use the remotes since we have HomeLink in both cars. I don't have a key fob, so it was definitely caused by remote. Definitely weird.