Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Door Opens Randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At one point, the charging door on the 2018 M3 LR RWD car started failing to open. As in, "Pry it up to use the charge port." Other times it would come half-way down. Or just act weird.

Made a service call on the app; Tesla sent a mobile repair truck. The guy replaced the inside mechanism, which had failed.

Suggest you do the same. Document the times, places, and all that jazz when you set up the report. Maybe they can do a little remote troubleshooting?

Reactions: jboy210
At one point, the charging door on the 2018 M3 LR RWD car started failing to open. As in, "Pry it up to use the charge port." Other times it would come half-way down. Or just act weird.

Made a service call on the app; Tesla sent a mobile repair truck. The guy replaced the inside mechanism, which had failed.

Suggest you do the same. Document the times, places, and all that jazz when you set up the report. Maybe they can do a little remote troubleshooting?
Same for me. The mobile guy came and fixed in my garage in 20 minutes.

Did he say what it was? I'm wondering if it just takes a reboot of the system by holding in the 2 scroll wheels in the yoke or if its something more involved...? Thanks.
For me he replaced the latching mechanism and realigned everything. I guess it slips out of alignment and/or wears sometimes. He said he had done this a number of times before.

2023 MY charging port randomly opened 3 times over the past week, including one today while I was sitting in the car at a parking lot. Anyone else out there? I wonder if it has something to do with the heavy rain/hailstorm we had over the past couple of weeks?

I suppose the tech can pull the logs and see all the occurrences? By the way how long did it take for the part swap? TIA!!!
I dunno about the logs. I just tippy-tapped about the problems with the thing: wouldn’t open half the time, closed halfway half the time, and threw in a picture of the thing half open. One could pull it open with one’s fingers or push it shut, but, awkward.

The guy showed up in his van, opened up the liner in the trunk, and had a new mechanism installed within a half hour. This was in 2019 or 2020; something about some gear getting loose or stripped. As I said, no problems since then.

Reactions: DaveLaguna
I dunno about the logs. I just tippy-tapped about the problems with the thing: wouldn’t open half the time, closed halfway half the time, and threw in a picture of the thing half open. One could pull it open with one’s fingers or push it shut, but, awkward.

The guy showed up in his van, opened up the liner in the trunk, and had a new mechanism installed within a half hour. This was in 2019 or 2020; something about some gear getting loose or stripped. As I said, no problems since then.
Thanks for the details, really appreciate it!!! Will keep an eye on mine for a bit more see if it goes away. I also commented in a very recent thread here hopefully it leads to something.

Well this just started happening to me on my 2023 Plaid S that I've had since November. It only recently started occurring randomly in the last month or 2 and only at home.

Today I sorta figured out why but it is really strange. I have 2 wireless garage door remotes on the wall for my 2 garage doors. Apparently one of them triggers my charging port door about 30-40% of the time. I THINK I may have had to retrain that whole opener, it maxes out with a certain number of devices taught to it (5 or 6) and when we got our Rivian in March I believe I had to reteach all the wireless remotes/devices to it. I'm guessing that is when it started.

I'm not sure how to proceed, I may see if I can just reprogram that one wall remote that is triggering my charge port, or I may have to reset the whole unit and link all devices again.

Very weird.

Reminder that if you hold down on the back of the fob (the part that a single press will pop the trunk) the charge port will open. Sometimes the pressure of being in your pocket will be enough to press and hold on that button, and pop the door.

Reactions: posity
Well this just started happening to me on my 2023 Plaid S that I've had since November. It only recently started occurring randomly in the last month or 2 and only at home.

Today I sorta figured out why but it is really strange. I have 2 wireless garage door remotes on the wall for my 2 garage doors. Apparently one of them triggers my charging port door about 30-40% of the time. I THINK I may have had to retrain that whole opener, it maxes out with a certain number of devices taught to it (5 or 6) and when we got our Rivian in March I believe I had to reteach all the wireless remotes/devices to it. I'm guessing that is when it started.

I'm not sure how to proceed, I may see if I can just reprogram that one wall remote that is triggering my charge port, or I may have to reset the whole unit and link all devices again.

Very weird.
This happened to me recently on 5/26 (at home) and one more time on 5/27 (at work), but it hasn't happened ever since. Coincidentally, on 5/26 when it first happened to me, I was on the freeway and saw a M3 that had the charging port opened. Not sure if it's a glitch in the system? How many times has it happened to you?

I never knew that but I don't use the fob so that isn't my issue.
If you never use the fob, be sure to pull the battery out, put is someplace where it cannot be bumped, or put it in a padded holder. I used to keep my spare in a drawer and sometimes when I opened and closed the drawer it slide and got bumped. Now it is in the drawer in one of the padded fob holders you can buy on Amazon and the problem has disappeared.

My X will do this if I have just ONE of the fobs connected with a battery. I don't have to have it in a padded holder, I suspect there is a problem with that particular unit. But I'm also having them suck the batteries dry in fairly rapid succession, in any of the three that I have at the moment. It is quite annoying so I have to keep them without batteries most of the time or the battery only lasts a week or two. Even on the brand-new fob it has swallowed 8 batteries in 2 months.

My X will do this if I have just ONE of the fobs connected with a battery. I don't have to have it in a padded holder, I suspect there is a problem with that particular unit. But I'm also having them suck the batteries dry in fairly rapid succession, in any of the three that I have at the moment. It is quite annoying so I have to keep them without batteries most of the time or the battery only lasts a week or two. Even on the brand-new fob it has swallowed 8 batteries in 2 months.
I have 2 fobs. One randomly decided it was battery hungry and now will kill a fresh coin-cell in under a day. The other continues to work as normal. Sucks they are so expensive (pre-bluetooth versions).