Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging from 3 phase outlet.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First note, I mean 15-60, but i don't know how to edit posts yet.

Second:

15-60.jpg

I think you probably will have to make your own. Just get a 15-60p plug and a 6-50r female adapter and some 6-2 sooj coor and leave one of the hot legs off. Make sure you get everything tight...and the ground in the right spot.

https://www.grainger.com/product/49YY39

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/P-S-D0653-Straight-Blade-Connector-2P-3W-50A250V-Gg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JL8P23K/ref=twister_B07JLRPKDS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You should also verify the voltage of the receptacle. Although it is likely 208v phase to phase, some times in industrial settings where 277/480v is available, someone might have put the wrong receptacle/plug combo on a machine to get it working.

I am an electrician, however if someone asked me to do this for them, i would not. As long as you hook everything up right, and verify voltage, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
15-60 is rated up to 250V, so it shouldn't be connected to a 277/480 system. I won't say yours isn't, but it would be unlikely. The on board charger will refuse to take power over about 280V anyway.

In any case, the suggestion of building an adapter is probably your best bet if you are comfortable doing it. Note that if for some reason the car/adapter pulls more than 50A, the breaker won't trip unless you exceed 60A. This is only likely if there's some kind of short between the outlet and the car.

Would communicate directly with Tesla on this one. Can't afford to make a mistake here.

Good advice, and if they say it should work, I would start out with a lower in-car current setting, may be 20 A initially. You could go up to 40 A maximum (the rating of the 14-50). For less heat / strain on the wiring, try 35 A.

Another option would be a level 2 charging station that could plug into the 15-60, with a Tesla or J1772 connector on the other end. Are these available? Possibly.

You can definitely use that, and since it's a solid 60A circuit, the Tesla UMC, which can only draw 32A maximum, will have no issues at all. The trick is to get access to just one phase of the three phase connections.

Suggestion 1, build your own, as @qdeathstar was suggesting. I've built a pigtail adapter of a smaller type, and it's not hard, but you do want to get the connections really tight.

Suggestion 2, if you don't trust yourself to build one of these, as a lot of people might not...
Contact EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.
They offer a lot of kinds of charging adapters, and they will custom make some too. So you could contact them and tell them you want a pigtail adapter from the 15-60, using only one phase to a 6-50 receptacle, and they can probably make that, and it will be a good solidly built one that is nice and reliable.

Reactions: user212_nr
Suggestion 2, if you don't trust yourself to build one of these, as a lot of people might not...
Contact EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.
They offer a lot of kinds of charging adapters, and they will custom make some too. So you could contact them and tell them you want a pigtail adapter from the 15-60, using only one phase to a 6-50 receptacle, and they can probably make that, and it will be a good solidly built one that is nice and reliable.

I contacted EVSE Adapters if they could make me an adapter for a NEMA 15-60.

The response was:
"Yes, we certainly can! Please allow 2-3 days to make the adapter. The adapter would have a NEMA 15-60 plug and a Tesla Gen 2 connector, and will include the circuit that monitors plug temperature and automatically sets the charging current to 32 amps which is the maximum rate for the Tesla 3 charging cord. Your price for this custom adapter would be $95.

I will be using them as soon as I complete the purchase of the Tesla 3.

Thank you Rocky for the information.

Thank the rest of you for the response.

The response was:
"Yes, we certainly can! Please allow 2-3 days to make the adapter. The adapter would have a NEMA 15-60 plug and a Tesla Gen 2 connector, and will include the circuit that monitors plug temperature and automatically sets the charging current to 32 amps which is the maximum rate for the Tesla 3 charging cord. Your price for this custom adapter would be $95.
Ah, even better! I didn't know if they would do this weird outlet type one as a real pluggable 2nd generation UMC adapter, but that's perfect. I was really excited when they started making those, because they include all the proper circuitry for setting the amps and the temperature sensor in the plug, so it is a really nice, high quality product.

Reactions: hcdavis3