Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Denver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re adding a Tesla wall unit to our garage for an M3. There are only two circuit breaker slots left in the main panel, so we were thinking a second panel (100A from main panel) in case the basement is ever finished, and wall unit off second panel. Two electricians bid (no response from Tesla electrician request); neither initially offered to do a permit (but will). Talked with chief county inspector; he wants wall unit off main panel - so we’ll probably leave second panel for next home owner.

Permit requires house electric load form. Inspector said if it’s close he might limit us to <60A, require a manual switch (?) so if car is charging part of house is off-line, or he said he is beta-testing a new Tesla product that would somehow limit what the car gets based on current house load (something like that).

Has anyone heard of this new Tesla charging product?

Another talk w county inspector, after inventorying our house’s electric load. He’s limiting us to 30A. He also mentioned DCC’s load balancer, but it’s $1K+, so... maybe. He also thinks Tesla’s load balancer is imminent (has passed UL certification), but his Tesla contact isn’t responding to me and in general we’ve found it tough to ask Tesla questions. Anyone hear of this upcoming product?

Ours is a new house in the suburbs, very common with 200A service and typical electrical load, so I imagine most houses will have problems getting a 60A circuit if one follows the rules (we are for insurance reasons). The inspector thinks this is why Tesla will offer a load balancer.

It seems low to only be able to have 30A. We have 200A service and ran 100A to the garage with no problems in Jefferson County. From that, we have 64A shared between 3 Tesla wall connectors.

Can you tell us if you have something large, like a pool pump, hot tub, or something similar which would cause them to limit you to 30A?

Reactions: BrokerDon
Another talk w county inspector, after inventorying our house’s electric load. He’s limiting us to 30A. He also mentioned DCC’s load balancer, but it’s $1K+, so... maybe. He also thinks Tesla’s load balancer is imminent (has passed UL certification), but his Tesla contact isn’t responding to me and in general we’ve found it tough to ask Tesla questions. Anyone hear of this upcoming product?

Ours is a new house in the suburbs, very common with 200A service and typical electrical load, so I imagine most houses will have problems getting a 60A circuit if one follows the rules (we are for insurance reasons). The inspector thinks this is why Tesla will offer a load balancer.
200A should be plenty for a 50A or even 60A outlet. We have a 200A main breaker and I went through the whole process of load calculations and pulling a permit. We have a 2300 sqft house with an electric stove, electric dryer, and A/C. Adding on a 50A outlet to all that put us at 195A in the load calculations. Not sure why the inspector is limiting you to 30A unless you already have other 50A outlets, electric furnace, or a huge house.

For comparison, I have what I would consider an average house in the suburbs: 2000 sq ft plus basement, A/C, electric stove, dryer, water heater, and a 30A sub-panel in the basement. I was able to install a 60A circuit on the main panel (after combining a few circuits) with a permit and the inspector didn't have a problem with it.

Our electrician just installed a Tesla Wall Connector via #6 wire on a 60A / 240V double breaker in our son's 200A / 240V single phase panel in his new Lennar home. Electrical permit pulled with "load calc" showing LOTS of capacity for 60A EV circuit... and even 100A allowed.

Install done, summary:
  1. Head inspector told electric installer to put in an outlet, then a short cord from the Tesla wall unit to it ("then it's an appliance, different code"). Inspector that came out to approve installation didn't like that, wanted direct connection via conduit (per Tesla manual). When told the outlet approach wouldn't support potential 60A use, I didn't like it either. Electric installer redid it, rerouting cable to gain length without splicing. (Note Tesla now has a wall unit with a short cord.)
  2. When electric installer cut power to redo the install, I forgot car was plugged in and cable would not release, via button on cable or app. Had to restore power to release cable. I don't know if this was a fluke, but intend to ask Tesla - what if power goes out but we want to drive?
  3. Inspector wanted Tesla wall unit cover off to check DIP switch setting. Electric installer left cosmetic cover off because he had trouble prying it off.
  4. Electric installer believed head inspector was being too cautious about not allowing 60A (nothing unusual about our house), but for now I'm not going to push it - 30A charge time is fine with us.
  5. This circuit used the last two slots in our main panel, so electric installer combined some circuits (tandem breakers? I forget term) to give us more room (could have been done later too).
Electric installer (Piper Electric) did a clean install at a good price. They installed a 40A breaker with Tesla wall unit set to 30A. Everything is set for 60A (replace breaker, cheap) if that becomes possible in the future.

Install done, summary:
  1. When electric installer cut power to redo the install, I forgot car was plugged in and cable would not release, via button on cable or app. Had to restore power to release cable. I don't know if this was a fluke, but intend to ask Tesla - what if power goes out but we want to drive?
There is a manual release cord for the charge port on the inside of the trunk, right behind the charge port.