Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging In Tucson

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the temp's have reached the mid to high 80's I was wondering if it is advisable to open the front lid and rear lid for better air circulation while charging. Just got back visiting some friends to drop face masks the wife is making and plug the car in and of course all the fans are running at max. speed.

Sometimes I’ll open the rear hatch if it’s charging in the garage, as the PEM can get pretty toasty, but the best alleviation to this (provided you aren’t in a hurry) is to just lower the amperage. The PEM won’t work as hard, and you’ll complete more ESS cooling cycles since the charge takes longer.

To my limited knowledge, there isn’t a large benefit to opening the front hood.

My research is that you should use a 240-volt low amp charger so that the cooling can initiate with the air conditioner. 14 amps low

Either using OVMS or range charge and turn off after 40 minutes

My understanding is the 120v standard charger isn't powerful enough to initiate the air conditioned cooling cycle

I gathered this reading hundreds of posts but if someone wants to correct me let me know.

• Helpful
Reactions: drewski
No correction, you have it correct. A 30-45 minute Range charge on 240v at low-moderate current will pull a ton of heat out of the battery, then drop it back to Standard charging so you don't stress the battery. I do it all at 24 amps.

If you don't have a lot of charging to do, don't forget to pull it out of Range charging before it gets over 80% SoC, where a standard charge will stop. I.e. the 30 minutes cool-down time is less important than making sure you don't charge past the Standard cutoff. If this is going to be a problem, reduce the charging current even more. Remember that in range mode the Ideal range numbers are higher than in Standard. You'll see the mileage switch when you change modes, so do a little math to know when to stop.

If you have an OVMS module, you can also monitor the battery temperature in real time. When it gets down to 30C or lower, it's low enough that the car will go to sleep (turning the pump off) after the charging completes.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
No correction, you have it correct. A 30-45 minute Range charge on 240v at low-moderate current will pull a ton of heat out of the battery, then drop it back to Standard charging so you don't stress the battery. I do it all at 24 amps.

If you don't have a lot of charging to do, don't forget to pull it out of Range charging before it gets over 80% SoC, where a standard charge will stop. I.e. the 30 minutes cool-down time is less important than making sure you don't charge past the Standard cutoff. If this is going to be a problem, reduce the charging current even more. Remember that in range mode the Ideal range numbers are higher than in Standard. You'll see the mileage switch when you change modes, so do a little math to know when to stop.

If you have an OVMS module, you can also monitor the battery temperature in real time. When it gets down to 30C or lower, it's low enough that the car will go to sleep (turning the pump off) after the charging completes.
Still waiting for my GMS attenna so I can complete the installation :-(