Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Logs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Is there a access to the cars charging log? I am looking for a way to determine how many kWh's I have dumped into the car from home over the last year.

I suspect that I would probably have to get one of the logging apps to gather this info but was just wondering if there was any way to get it from the car or Tesla directly.

I think I have another hack I might be able to do if PG&E fixes their website (green button download). Since I only charge at 11pm and nothing else is on at that time, I could pull the usage logs by hour from the metering data and add it up day by day. I suspect pulling the data at 11pm, 12am, 1am and 2am should do it.

Is there a access to the cars charging log? I am looking for a way to determine how many kWh's I have dumped into the car from home over the last year.

I suspect that I would probably have to get one of the logging apps to gather this info but was just wondering if there was any way to get it from the car or Tesla directly.

Hi,
I have had my X for 3 weeks now and love using TeslaFi for all the info you want , you can trial it first.

It should be noted that what comes out of the wall and what goes into the battery won't match. There is efficiency loss. If you want to know how much of your battery kWh was charged at home, your only option may be the CAN route, or the services may be able to get historic data, too. I don't know, as I haven't used one. OTOH, if you want to know what you've paid, then the PG&E data makes sense, except that your usage outside of the charging may not be as close to 0 as you think it is.

here are a few ideas. One is to use Teslafi.com however, you would had want to be set up when you tool delivery of your car. Not to late to start which is chalked full of data that you can not believe. I also started off with tmspy, then later moved to scan my tesla. although there is no breakdown on how you acquire power but it will keep up with all dc charging and ac charging. Both of these ideas use the data port under the cubbyhole in the center console. See this thread for some pictures.
ODB-II connector? (also clearance for same & example)
So, if all your A/C charging has been at home, then this should provide you with the number you are looking for. I would not rule out calling tesla service and see what they mention about getting a copy of the charge logs.

OTOH, if you want to know what you've paid, then the PG&E data makes sense, except that your usage outside of the charging may not be as close to 0 as you think it is
Yeah. This is what I want. I have created a baseline figure for that time of day without charging. I will subtract that from the kWh I see at that period. I am also going to assume that if I don't see a pretty good charge at midnight then it might not be charging then. Then I will look at each hour and note when I get close to the baseline and call it there. Each hour of course would have the baseline subtracted from the reported kWh. Not perfect but close enough for my needs I think.

So PG&E did fix their Green Button issue and it was easy to pull the entire years meter reads for each day, hour by hour, into a spreadsheet. Now I just need to apply my above algorithm along with some other factors to determine what dollars the car was consuming.

Going foreword another option is teslalog.com which gives a monthly summary by charging location of the outlet and the battery power
2D1BEAFE-2868-4D89-9A05-3B4C84085415.jpeg

I should probably explain what I was up to with this request, although many have probably guessed it. Doing my USA taxes :mad: I was curious what the energy costs were for my business travel. I keep detailed logs because I claim a business percent vs the standard mileage. My business travel percent is over 50% and the depreciation etc adds up, especially for a Model X, to tip the scales in favor against the standard mileage deduction.

But my question was how much was I spending for electricity for the business portion of my use. The answer turns out to be: not much. Even with ~5,000 miles of business travel, much of that was long distance and involved supercharging. So the only real electricity I was paying for was charging when I got home. This was done off peak at a reduced rate.

So I manually looked over all the hourly meter reads for the days I returned from travel. I looked at 11pm (when my car is set to charge) and the subsequent hours to see what the usage was and removed my static load (determined by averaging non charging days). I then applied the off peak rate I get and came up with a reasonable cost. For the ~5k business miles this amounted to about $100 US. Not much. Probably not even worth counting in my taxes. But I was curious.

Another interesting tidbit is if I do count it I would need to do some funny math to come up with an average business energy cost per mile because the IRS would apply my business % to the 100 dollars. I would then have to apply that cost per mile to my total miles in order to get the deduction down to my actual business cost. The other option would be just to claim the electricity as a utility cost and not part of the car at all. Then there is no funny math.

An paradigm I certainly am not interested in having a discussion with if audited.:)

One of the free apps, Tezlab, would provide you both trip and charge log, but you might need to copy them manually. The app takes advantage of Tesla's unofficial public API to get the information, so if you have a geek friend nearby, you could possibly get more meaningful or granular data.

p.s. I have been thinking of writing one as my wife is seriously thinking of using Machine Learning to analyze the data.