Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Model S vs my model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model X has been in service for almost a week now...
Today I took the loaner Model S 85 they gave me, to a supercharger.
To my surprise, the loud fans that typically vibrates my whole X once I reach about 80%, didn't make a sound, even though I charged to almost 100%!
Anybody knows what's going on here? Is the loud rattling fan sound normal on my X I am thinking now?

I've never heard any loud fan noise from mine, but it may depend on ambient temperature (and I just got mine, so it could also be that they've switched to quieter fans). Either way, you should mention it to them so that if there's something wrong with the fans, they can replace them while they have it.

I experience this in the early stage of the supercharge when the charging power is large in Autumn. I must be the cooling fan to dissipate the heat build up within the battery.

Later I learn that there are two condenser fans and they are all driven by 12V so that I can observe the on/off by monitor the DC-DC current. Here is one of my supercharge chart, fans kicks in at 0:26 to 0:37, with corresponding SOC from 42% to 60%.
70d.png