Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging near Brighton

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How marginal might you be on charge. What route?

Brighton car parks are to be avoided as usual suspects are very expensive. I've got my eyes on the one in Madeira drive or the Asda at the Marina when we are in the area. But then we are looking to top up not start a long journey. Alternatively Pond Road carpark in Shoreham and a walk over to the Hummingbird Cafe at Shoreham airport for a curry.

No experience of any of these yet but we do frequent those areas frequently as they are not bad places to spend a few hours. No idea of speeds, costs or availability although do know that the Marina Asda one is slow and sometimes ICE'd. A nice ride though on the Volk's railway between the Marina and Brighton.

Shame Brighton supercharger is not there yet.

Reactions: m3gt2
How marginal might you be on charge. What route?

Brighton car parks are to be avoided as usual suspects are very expensive. I've got my eyes on the one in Madeira drive or the Asda at the Marina when we are in the area. But then we are looking to top up not start a long journey. Alternatively Pond Road carpark in Shoreham and a walk over to the Hummingbird Cafe at Shoreham airport for a curry.

No experience of any of these yet but we do frequent those areas frequently as they are not bad places to spend a few hours. No idea of speeds, costs or availability although do know that the Marina Asda one is slow and sometimes ICE'd. A nice ride though on the Volk's railway between the Marina and Brighton.

Shame Brighton supercharger is not there yet.
I completed the journey into the centre of Brighton by using the Park & Ride bus and charging at the on-street public charger which is 2 minutes walk from the Park & Ride terminus. Charger was slow (7kW??) but added some useful range whilst I was in my meetings.

This isn't sounding good! I will be coming from Leicester so won't have much charge when I arrive (M3P+) and was hoping to be able to do a quick charge while waiting so I didn't have to charge with passengers.

Abetterrouteplanner is the answer here ... will give you the fastest journey options whether that includes Superchargers or not.

Hi, I may be taking a client to Brighton and bringing them back later the same day. What are the best charging options around Brighton? Thanks
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 15.08.24.png

The above seems a strange choice to me. It implies the drop between Newport Pagnell and Brighton is 37%. So, with that in mind surely charging to closer to 100% at the NP super charger is the best bet as that will leave you with 53% to get back to NP again from Brighton and top up for the remainder of the journey.

I would not want to have to detour off the M25 to Heathrow unless I absolutely needed to.

Well having looked a little more I think Worthing will be the best place to charge as it has a few 50kW chargers. Hopefully traffic won't be too bad as I should be dropping off at Brighton around 9.30-10.00 and pickup is 14.00-14.30, fingers and toes will be crossed!

So, with that in mind surely charging to closer to 100% at the NP super charger is the best bet

However, that will take a long time (~15 mins extra) and still only leaves you with 6% when you get back to NP (where there's currently no SC northbound unless you use the service road, so even less at the Northampton one).

If you are willing to push things that bit closer, personally I'd skip the Newport Pagnell stop (that's only taking on board 9%) and live with arriving at Heathrow on 10%, knowing that driving slower and/or various non-Tesla options en-route provide the safety factor. Probably ABRP would make that recommendation too if you adjusted the settings to be less conservative.

However, that will take a long time (~15 mins extra) and still only leaves you with 6% when you get back to NP (where there's currently no SC northbound unless you use the service road, so even less at the Northampton one).

If you are willing to push things that bit closer, personally I'd skip the Newport Pagnell stop (that's only taking on board 9%) and live with arriving at Heathrow on 10%, knowing that driving slower and/or various non-Tesla options en-route provide the safety factor. Probably ABRP would make that recommendation too if you adjusted the settings to be less conservative.

53 - 37 is 16, not 6

Well having looked a little more I think Worthing will be the best place to charge as it has a few 50kW chargers

Let us know how you get on with those. We have an appt near there so no charge facilities (a bit like being at home...) and think we can survive on some local 7kW ones and Havant supercharger, but rapids in Worthing would be a good emergency stop.

Last edited: