Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging pad & iPhone 13 mini; measurements on charging coil/MagSafe alignment? 3D print spacer for tray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve yet to receive my MY, but I have some first hand experience placing my iPhone 13 mini onto a MY charging pad to know that the coils don’t exactly align very easily and charging doesn’t exactly work properly. Does anyone happen to have measurements as to where the charging coil is on MY charging pad (bonus points if you have measurements relative to the coil inside the iPhone 13 mini) so that I could have a friend 3D a spacer to set in the charging pad tray so that the iPhone 13 mini will always align/charge properly?

Thanks I’m advance.

OP, I assume you're referring to a 2021-newer. I have a 2021 Y and 3, and it's difficult to get the pad to charge correctly with my 12 mini, or my wife's 13 Pro Max. If you figure out solutions (without needing to remove the Magsafe case), please report back. I don't think it's as simple as spacers.

dd
I found this Etsy store… Iphone Mini Wireless Charging Adapter for Tesla Model 3 or | Etsy

However, I haven’t purchased anything yet.
Although I have not tried spacers, I think it's more of a problem with the ability for the charging pad to charge through a case. It will randomly charge, and then not charge, unless the phone is out of the case. It's the same in both my 3 and Y, so I don't think it's a particular issue with one.

Does anyone make an actual Magsafe charging pad, with Magsafe coils, and 15W charging?
No, there are no certified MagSafe replacement pads. Closest you can come is finding an aftermarket car mount that could accommodate a Apple MagSafe charger (same you’d use at home)… but I haven’t found one that looks half way decent… and you’d still have to find a way to route the short Apple cable in a nice way and still be able to plug it into a usb-c port that supplies enough power just for the MagSafe charger.

Jeda makes a drop in replacement MagSafe COMPATIBLE 7.5W charging pad, but it’s for the previous console iteration.

No, there are no certified MagSafe replacement pads. Closest you can come is finding an aftermarket car mount that could accommodate a Apple MagSafe charger (same you’d use at home)… but I haven’t found one that looks half way decent… and you’d still have to find a way to route the short Apple cable in a nice way and still be able to plug it into a usb-c port that supplies enough power just for the MagSafe charger.

Jeda makes a drop in replacement MagSafe COMPATIBLE 7.5W charging pad, but it’s for the previous console iteration.
Thanks for the info. I purchased that Jeda V4 and it does allow the phones to charge better than the factory pad, but still not 15W. I had assumed if something said Magsafe, it was the 15W Magsafe charging. I might try and make my own pad using the Apple chargers. I don't know why I'm so hung up on 15W Magsafe charging. I think I've been so used to throwing my phone close to a charger, it "clicking" on, and charging fast.

Thanks for the info. I purchased that Jeda V4 and it does allow the phones to charge better than the factory pad, but still not 15W. I had assumed if something said Magsafe, it was the 15W Magsafe charging. I might try and make my own pad using the Apple chargers. I don't know why I'm so hung up on 15W Magsafe charging. I think I've been so used to throwing my phone close to a charger, it "clicking" on, and charging fast.

From Amazon, but the problem is the cable on the Apple MagSafe charger is only 1m (3ft)..
Spigen Mag Fit Phone Holder Car Mount Designed for Magsafe
E1C1EA50-BAFB-4883-A4C5-BA6C232C89DC.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve yet to receive my MY, but I have some first hand experience placing my iPhone 13 mini onto a MY charging pad to know that the coils don’t exactly align very easily and charging doesn’t exactly work properly. Does anyone happen to have measurements as to where the charging coil is on MY charging pad (bonus points if you have measurements relative to the coil inside the iPhone 13 mini) so that I could have a friend 3D a spacer to set in the charging pad tray so that the iPhone 13 mini will always align/charge properly?

Thanks I’m advance.
I have this torn apart. Can you show a sketch as to what measurements you’re looking for?

Attachments

• 917FFE43-362F-4AC5-8ADA-28CB8AE5806C.jpeg
    917FFE43-362F-4AC5-8ADA-28CB8AE5806C.jpeg
    451.3 KB · Views: 246
  • 3CA40876-5BE5-4569-9A26-9D250BFAEF49.jpeg
    3CA40876-5BE5-4569-9A26-9D250BFAEF49.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 257
Trying to figure out what the dimensions of a 3D printed spacer should be that allows a 13 mini to sit right in the sweet spot on top of the charging coil so that the phone will charge right away every time it’s sat down on the pad. Admittedly, this is probably different for everyone who uses a different case. I kinda gave up on the idea for now.

Trying to figure out what the dimensions of a 3D printed spacer should be that allows a 13 mini to sit right in the sweet spot on top of the charging coil so that the phone will charge right away every time it’s sat down on the pad. Admittedly, this is probably different for everyone who uses a different case. I kinda gave up on the idea for now.
Here's what I transferred from the wireless charger to the pad. Let me know if this helps out at all.

Attachments

• magnet_pad.jpg
    magnet_pad.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 242
I found this Etsy store… Iphone Mini Wireless Charging Adapter for Tesla Model 3 or | Etsy

However, I haven’t purchased anything yet.
I've found that my iPhone Mini requires a very specific spacing of 1cm, and even then it needs to stay at the right place horizontally on the charging pad. I tried to 3D print a solution, but the spacing wasn't right...it was too high. I did end up finding a custom mount made of silicone which was easily cuttable to the exact spacing I needed. They make versions for the iPhone mini and airpods too. www.karandu.com

Reactions: pcmike
I'm going a bit further on my little project here. I've modeled up the tray, inserted two genuine Apple Magsafe chargers into the new tray. I'll report back soon to see how well this ends up fitting. I have a Mini, my wife has a Pro Max, so this should work for both, and the Magsafe should hold it in place. I made the dish sunken in just enough so the face of the charger is about .100 positive to accommodate the protruded camera lenses.

Attachments

• Plastic Panel - 02-21-22 v1.jpg
    Plastic Panel - 02-21-22 v1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Plastic Panel - 02-21-22 v1_2.jpg
    Plastic Panel - 02-21-22 v1_2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Plastic Panel - 02-21-22 v1_3.jpg
    Plastic Panel - 02-21-22 v1_3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 179
I'm going a bit further on my little project here. I've modeled up the tray, inserted two genuine Apple Magsafe chargers into the new tray. I'll report back soon to see how well this ends up fitting. I have a Mini, my wife has a Pro Max, so this should work for both, and the Magsafe should hold it in place. I made the dish sunken in just enough so the face of the charger is about .100 positive to accommodate the protruded camera lenses.
Nice! how are you powering 2 chargers? Are you using the cigarette lighter for one of them?

This is awesome! I planned to do this for the gen 1 consoles; unless you tell me you’re selling printed ones for the gen 1 it would save me a bunch of time! Keep it up!

Nice! how are you powering 2 chargers? Are you using the cigarette lighter for one of them?
I have the 12v from the factory plug that powers the factory charger, and will likely tap into that with an adapter. I haven't quite dialed that in. I want to get the aesthetics of the tray dialed in first, and make sure the largest phone and the smallest phone fits, attaches, and magnetically holds. The wiring is the easy part.