Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question for MYP - home and work chargers available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYP scheduled for delivery later this month, first tesla. Home Tesla charger getting installed soon. I found out the hospital I work at has 2 free Tesla chargers that look exactly like the Tesla wall connector I ordered. They are first come first serve but I’ve never seen one in use. My commute is 150 miles round trip. Would you charge to 90% at home, then keep plugged in at work up to a limit of 80-90% while having sentry on, and then rinse and repeat? My fear is that I charge less than 90% at home and the chargers are full and I can’t make it home without stopping for an additional charge, particularly in the winter and with 21’s.

My priority is never having to stop for a charge on the drive home considering the car has a range of 303 and the drive is only 150 miles. I understand the real range won’t be 303 but I hope even in the winder I can get 150+ miles on a charge.

How would you handle this scenario?

Speed limit is 70mph for most of drive and I love air conditioning… just want to be able to be nice and cool and drive maybe 75mph or so and make the 150mi trip without range issues. And I want to use sentry during 12 hour shifts as well.

I would definitely take advantage of the workplace chargers and use them as needed. Since there are only two, I would put a sign in your car with contact information so that others could contact you if they need an urgent charge. I would also suggest moving your car after it is finished charging or unplug it if there are additional empty parking spaces that can be used to charge. This way you won't block others and prevent them from charging.

I would definitely take advantage of the workplace chargers and use them as needed. Since there are only two, I would put a sign in your car with contact information so that others could contact you if they need an urgent charge. I would also suggest moving your car after it is finished charging or unplug it if there are additional empty parking spaces that can be used to charge. This way you won't block others and prevent them from charging.
Wow, putting a sign with contact information is a great idea, had not considered that. Don’t really want to give out my phone number but something I should consider. Is this common practice in these scenarios?

Wow, putting a sign with contact information is a great idea, had not considered that. Don’t really want to give out my phone number but something I should consider. Is this common practice in these scenarios?
Yes, there are hanging tags you can place on the plug or you can just put something up on your dash with your info. There are even little free cardboard clocks with pointers that Amazon sellers used to include with EV orders where you could indicate your expected time to finish charging and your contact info.

When I used to charge at work, I would just put my work number or a Google Voice number so that someone could contact me but not have my regular number. Eventually our employer set up a distribution email list so anyone needing a charge could just email that address and everyone would receive a copy of the message. Since we had 36 charging stations, someone was bound to be finished charging already and they would reply that they were going to move their car and open up a spot.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
I suggest charging to 90% at home and also charging as much as possible (up to 90%) at work. Your cost per mile for your commute for electricity will be cut in half.

I had a similar commuting scenario when I drove a Chevty Volt. I would arrive by 8:15 A.M. to ensure I was able to plug in at one of the available charging spaces. I needed 3 hours to fully charge the Volt for the trip home. I made it a point to always move my vehicle at noon or as soon as I received a text notification that charging had been completed. I never left my vehicle plugged in for more than 3 or 4 hours before moving the vehicle to another parking space.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I suggest charging to 90% at home and also charging as much as possible (up to 90%) at work. Your cost per mile for your commute for electricity will be cut in half.

I had a similar commuting scenario when I drove a Chevty Volt. I would arrive by 8:15 A.M. to ensure I was able to plug in at one of the available charging spaces. I needed 3 hours to fully charge the Volt for the trip home. I made it a point to always move my vehicle at noon or as soon as I received a text notification that charging had been completed. I never left my vehicle plugged in for more than 3 or 4 hours before moving the vehicle to another parking space.
Wonderful. I think a 3-4 hr charge will be all I need. This area is pretty rural, I almost never see any other Teslas. Be nice to gain range with Sentry on and not pay for it.

Wonderful. I think a 3-4 hr charge will be all I need. This area is pretty rural, I almost never see any other Teslas. Be nice to gain range with Sentry on and not pay for it.
In my experience 99% of public level 2 chargers are set up for 200 to 208V (commercial power is different than residential power due to the phases of the AC voltage) and 30A, so charging at 6kW.

Can you tell by looking what the speed will likely be?
82C122B8-83A2-4A57-969D-AF2EDA405910.jpeg

Not unless you plug into a Tesla vehicle. The Tesla Wall Connector can be configured for any circuit rated between 15A and 60A. The charging voltage, amperage displays on the Tesla charging screen and the Tesla app while charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
MYP scheduled for delivery later this month, first tesla. Home Tesla charger getting installed soon. I found out the hospital I work at has 2 free Tesla chargers that look exactly like the Tesla wall connector I ordered. They are first come first serve but I’ve never seen one in use. My commute is 150 miles round trip. Would you charge to 90% at home, then keep plugged in at work up to a limit of 80-90% while having sentry on, and then rinse and repeat? My fear is that I charge less than 90% at home and the chargers are full and I can’t make it home without stopping for an additional charge, particularly in the winter and with 21’s.

My priority is never having to stop for a charge on the drive home considering the car has a range of 303 and the drive is only 150 miles. I understand the real range won’t be 303 but I hope even in the winder I can get 150+ miles on a charge.

How would you handle this scenario?
My commute is the same as yours (74.2 miles each way) and I have a MYLR. I charge to 90% at home and don't have a charging option at work. I have never had a problem making it home with any less then 25-30% left SoC. Mind you Im in LA traffic on the 91 freeway, sometimes im doing 90mph, sometimes I'm doing 9mph lol. I say use the work charger if you like to top off 10-20% to make you feel better but It's unnecessary IMO

BTW I work a 12 hour shift and run Sentry mode the whole time, still not a problem.

My commute is the same as yours (74.2 miles each way) and I have a MYLR. I charge to 90% at home and don't have a charging option at work. I have never had a problem making it home with any less then 25-30% left SoC. Mind you Im in LA traffic on the 91 freeway, sometimes im doing 90mph, sometimes I'm doing 9mph lol. I say use the work charger if you like to top off 10-20% to make you feel better but It's unnecessary IMO

BTW I work a 12 hour shift and run Sentry mode the whole time, still not a problem.
Awesome info, thanks. 9-90mph 🤯. Used to live in Chicago. Traffic in KC is nothing but my drive is into rural Missouri where sentry more will be a necessity. Good to know it is at least possible to charge to 90%, drive 75mi, engage sentry for 12 hrs, and drive home 75mi. 👍🏻

Just an FYI, I also had charging at work available until Covid made me stay home. My commute was around 70 miles round trip, and I'd charge exclusively at work. We also had a text-message-group that would coordinate charging switchovers, so the chargers that were there were in use basically from ~7am until everyone had the charge they wanted. We had around four Teslas and four non-teslas sharing a Tesla and a j1772 charger.

There's some tiny chance those are 277 volt chargers, which would be great! 48 miles/hr of charge.

Since Covid, I haven't been back to work in person and I have to PAY to charge my car at home.... a very fair trade to not have to drive more than an hour of every workday.

Reactions: Jbapckfan