Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys I'm trying to get the charger at work to charge my Model 3. Its got a physical key that needs turning but other than that it should be plug and play. Is it possible that some chargers aren't compatible even if they have the correct socket? I think it's a "dumb" role charger, pretty much the cheapest of the cheap. Someone has a leaf and that charges fine (although I think there's is a type 1. Just to be clear, its an untethered charger and the socket on it is type 2.

Cheers

Hmm just wondered if there was a setting somewhere, it's weird as other places that have no key I just plug in and away I go. It seems like the car is not communicating either the charger for some reason but I've no idea why.

I think someone from the UK should chime in.
In the US our household current is 120v, in the UK you are 240v
In the US, in order to get to a Level 2 charger, we install a 50 amp breaker, NEMA outlet, and 2 120v lines to get to 240.
Someone in the UK should know this info for you.
Good luck.

Reactions: puckpurnell
There's a UK forum, where someone may have a better idea of the potential electrical issues. Sounds like your Tesla is trying to handshake with the charger and not getting the right answers.

There's a UK forum, where someone may have a better idea of the potential electrical issues. Sounds like your Tesla is trying to handshake with the charger and not getting the right answers.
Yea, tbh I've given up I'm just going to stick with charging at home. The one at work is untethered so its more of a pain anyway tbh.

At work and untethered, do you mean it's a BYO cable?
if it is BYO cable they normally have instructions about the charging procedure
Steps to follow e.g. when to plug the charge cable in, when to turn the charger on etc.
If your not following the procedure that might be why your car is not charging