TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging rate stops at 47A?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by u00mem9, Aug 7, 2016.

1. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Refresh car and HPWC set at 48A...but charge rate adjustment stops at 47A. It doesn't really make a difference, but any idea why won't it go to 48A?

2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Same issue here. I have a theory. The on-board charger is ultimately rated by kW, not amps.....kW is volts-times-amps. The normal household voltage is 240 and at 48A that would be 11,520 watts. My house shows 245V on the charge screen so I believe the car drops the amps down to 47 to keep the kW in the 11.5 range (245 x 47 = 11,515).

3. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

Same issue here. @gavine, your theory certainly makes sense. But then I'm not an electrical engineer. :(

4. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

That sounds plausible. My HPWC has a 60A breaker, and I do see 48A routinely when I charge at home, even though the setting in the car tops out at 47A:

HomeCharging.png