Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Screen Measurements Accurate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been meaning to make this post for a long, long time.

I'm always charged more $$ than what my screen says for I've charged for. It's always 2-3 kWh off. Is this normal?

Today on the completed screen it said I charged 25kWhs. I was charged $$ for 28kWh. It's like this every time I charge at an SC, no matter what location. Also doesn't matter if I'm in the car, or I park it and come back (so its not charging me for A/C heat etc)

Is this normal? It's usually $.60-$.90 off every charge. Not so much worried about the money as I am why this advanced of a car can't seem to measure this properly.

Was your climate system on during the charge? If so, that might be the extra amount that is used while charging that doesn't show up in the total. I could be wrong but your battery was charged with 25kwh but 28kwh was consumed during the charge. Again, just a guess.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm like 90% certain they started charging for all power delivered, not just what makes it to your battery.

I can't remember for DC charging, but I think it displays only what makes it to your battery. Any other power used (climate control, coolant pumps, active battery heating) will be charged for as well but not displayed on the car if I remember correctly.

As I mentioned in my first post, this happens if I park the car and leave (IE NOT SITTING IN THE CAR USING ANYTHING) and I'm still overcharged.

Even when you leave the car it is still using more electricity than goes into the battery. For things like the computers, cooling pumps, AC to cool the battery, etc. There are, also, losses along the way, in the form of heat.

Tesla used to charge based on what actually went into the battery, what is reported on the charging screen, but now they charge for all of the electricity used from the Supercharger station.