Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed to 100% dramatically slower!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Last time I charged to 100% last year, it held 80 amps all the way up to 99% before tapering off to the "calculating remaining charge time" when it would drop to 20 amps or so for that last little bit.

This time it dropped to:

72 amps / 90%
43 amps / 93%
40 amps / 94%
23 amps / 96%
16 amps / 98%

Instead of the usual 19 minutes to charge from 90 to 98%, it took well over an hour to get to 90% and another 40 minutes to get from 98% to 100%.

i-RPHmt6T-X2.jpg

Software change or battery degradation?

Also, my max power output at 90% with max battery 5 minutes from being ready, i.e. not fully heated has dropped from 458KW to 436KW. I've lost HALF of my Ludicrous upgrade since about 4 months ago.

Also, I'm getting regen limit with triangle when coming down from Pinecrest for the entire trip which means I'm using my breaks far more than I used to.

Actually I am surprised that you say it charged at 80 amps all the way to 99% in the beginning. The numbers you report now are more along the lines of what I expect. Even that is good.

You do know this depends on a LOT of variables....mainly temperature of the batteries and other factors, right?

Oh and I edit to add, loss of regen is not a new thing when you are at the top end of the charge rate.

Aside from that. I highly recommend to stop charging to 100% unless you are going back out on a long trip and run down that charge by at least 10-20%.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Last time I charged to 100% last year, it held 80 amps all the way up to 99% before tapering off to the "calculating remaining charge time" when it would drop to 20 amps or so for that last little bit.

This time it dropped to:

72 amps / 90%
43 amps / 93%
40 amps / 94%
23 amps / 96%
16 amps / 98%

Instead of the usual 19 minutes to charge from 90 to 98%, it took well over an hour to get to 90% and another 40 minutes to get from 98% to 100%.

i-RPHmt6T-X2.jpg

Software change or battery degradation?

Also, my max power output at 90% with max battery 5 minutes from being ready, i.e. not fully heated has dropped from 458KW to 436KW. I've lost HALF of my Ludicrous upgrade since about 4 months ago.

Also, I'm getting regen limit with triangle when coming down from Pinecrest for the entire trip which means I'm using my breaks far more than I used to.
Memory is a funny thing. Sometimes you forget things that happened. Sometimes you remember things that never happened.

If this is truly a change that happened to your car, buy Tesla some donuts because they saved your battery from certain destruction.

Memory is a funny thing. Sometimes you forget things that happened. Sometimes you remember things that never happened.

If this is truly a change that happened to your car, buy Tesla some donuts because they saved your battery from certain destruction.
hee hee. funny man. I always laugh at your posts.... yet right on track. Glad you said this. As far as I know the firmware has NEVER allowed the batteries to charge at that rate to that percentage even under the most imaginable cooling efforts. Right, it could literally destroy the packs.

Actually I am surprised that you say it charged at 80 amps all the way to 99% in the beginning. The numbers you report now are more along the lines of what I expect. Even that is good.

You do know this depends on a LOT of variables....mainly temperature of the batteries and other factors, right?

Oh and I edit to add, loss of regen is not a new thing when you are at the top end of the charge rate.

Aside from that. I highly recommend to stop charging to 100% unless you are going back out on a long trip and run down that charge by at least 10-20%.

Battery temperature ranged between 70 and 80F. Is that too cold? Regardless, I've always gotten 80 amps up to that point on very hot or very cold days.

I've charged to 100% perhaps 6 times in the 50K life of the car.

As far as regen limited, I've made the same trip from my vacation house in Pinecrest a dozen and half times and never experienced regen limit (except starting out) in any condition including freezing temperatures or 100F degree days until the first time this fall. Have made the trip 3 times since and have had the same limit now all starting the trip with 90%. The limit always kicks in on that last grade before I hit Sonora.

This is the battery temp when I came to the first red light entering Sonora when regen limit with triangle first kicked in:

i-7NsWxhG-X2.png

It started out around 50F and was regen limited due to cold for about the first 5 miles and then lifted as the battery hit mid 50Fs.

Last edited:
Battery temperature ranged between 70 and 80F. Is that too cold? Regardless, I've always gotten 80 amps up to that point on very hot or very cold days.
I guess you mean ambient air temperature. There isn't a way for the customer to know the battery temperature. Other than that, I don't know what to say. I have never heard of a Tesla charging that high of amperage at that percentage. Talk to your service guy about this, but don't get angry at him if he asks if you are suffering from memory loss :D Something unusual going on in my opinion. you should not want it to charge at that high amperage near the top end anyway. Best

Guys, he's not talking about supercharging here.

I have only charged to 100% four times, but I looked back at my data and, sure enough, I used to keep full power (which for me at home is only 40A) right up to 99%. The last time it started tapering at 93%. Must be a firmware change.

I have only charged to 100% four times, but I looked back at my data and, sure enough, I used to keep full power right up to 99%. The last time it started dropping at 93%. Must be a firmware change.
yes yes, I know he is talking about a destination charger. My comments still apply. I can believe this happening for as many as 10 charges, but not after that. It is not a firmware change. It is a charging algorithm :)

I have only charged to 100% four times, but I looked back at my data and, sure enough, I used to keep full power (which for me at home is only 40A) right up to 99%. The last time it started tapering at 93%. Must be a firmware change.

That's what I'm hoping and I'd be OK with it if that were the case as I rarely charge to 100% and when I do it's usually before going on a long trip where I have plenty of time to plan and charge first.

What I really want to know is if anyone else can charge like I used to with an HWPC or if everyone is now seeing this new behavior. i.e is it a firmware change or is it just me :)

That's what I'm hoping and I'd be OK with it if that were the case as I rarely charge to 100% and when I do it's usually before going on a long trip where I have plenty of time to plan and charge first.

What I really want to know is if anyone else can charge like I used to with an HWPC or if everyone is now seeing this new behavior. i.e is it a firmware change or is it just me :)

Mine (first 3 charges to 100% with tapering at 99% and last with tapering at 93%) were also on an HPWC, albeit at a lower amperage to start with.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc and FlyF4
OK, well that's starting to look more and more like a firmware change.
I've gone back and looked at firmware changes... no not the summary reported in the vehicle. The detail changes and I see nothing to indicate this is a firmware change. Yes, there are firmware changes related to charging yet not related to what you mention. I can see that the algorithms can account for changes as time goes along. Bottom line is this is a common behavior, so if you are concerned, I would not be. Perhaps you are really observant and just curious? :)

I've gone back and looked at firmware changes... no not the summary reported in the vehicle. The detail changes and I see nothing to indicate this is a firmware change. Yes, there are firmware changes related to charging yet not related to what you mention. I can see that the algorithms can account for changes as time goes along. Bottom line is this is a common behavior, so if you are concerned, I would not be. Perhaps you are really observant and just curious? :)

I'll hold my judgement on whether it's common until more folks have reported in on whether they've also seen this change in charging behavior.

Tesla has a history of not disclosing most of their changes unless it's feature enhancement related.

Reactions: FlyF4